What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I’m way behind on the thread. Been on travel for work but home again. Doing shrimp and cheese stuffed poblanos again for dinner tonight. Bechamel goes on top of these then a short bake.

IMG_2959.JPG

Looks awesome. I love potato salad! What is "flois" potato salad though? Or did you mean Flo's?

Flois is correct and is the name on the recipe I adopted. I'm clueless as to why it is called that. Maybe someone else could offer an explanation?

Contains red potatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, red onion, green onion, garlic, whole grain mustard, mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. My favorite potato salad.

Flois is correct and is the name on the recipe I adopted. I'm clueless as to why it is called that. Maybe someone else could offer an explanation?

Contains red potatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, red onion, green onion, garlic, whole grain mustard, mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. My favorite potato salad.
That sounds exactly like Emeril's "Flo's Potato Salad", except he adds either parsley or cilantro also.

That sounds exactly like Emeril's "Flo's Potato Salad", except he adds either parsley or cilantro also.

It's entirely possible that either the original author or I inadvertently slipped an "i" into the recipe name. Emeril's recipe varies quite a bit from the one I use so....?

Flo or Flois its still delicious!

Edit: I'm blaming the original author and after a little searching have discovered it to be....Emeril. I do believe that the "i" in Flois was intended just to make Flo possessive, i.e., Flo's. Still wondering how this recipe of his is so much different from the one's of his online now.

Last edited:
I cut some steaks off a money muscle pork roast (Coppa), dredged them in Lemon Pepper, Season Salt, Cumin, Cayenne seasoned Flour, seared them in Olive Oil and Butter. Meanwhile I sliced an onion French style and caramelized them. I removed the steaks after they had a nice sear, added some of the seasoned flour and some chicken stock to make a pan gravy, added the onions, then the steaks and let them braise. Served with herb and garlic mashed potatoes. My take on Zwiebelschnitzel. Cheers!

I am hoping you all sage minds can help me help a friend. She wants a wok. She needs some help on what to buy and how to use. Much appreciated in advance friends, thanks!

Turns out you can use your brewing burner for cooking food too. I used it to get a great sear on some scallops. View attachment 640161
I cook on my brewing burner more than I brew on it, as you have probably seen in pictures I posted :) I cook just about everything out on the back porch that would stink up the house, because my vent hood inside just blows air through a little charcoal filter then back into the room, instead of exhausing outside. I have very good low temp control on it when needed, but then I can crank it up for crawfish boils and the like :)

I am hoping you all sage minds can help me help a friend. She wants a wok. She needs some help on what to buy and how to use. Much appreciated in advance friends, thanks!
I like my two.
Smaller cast iron, large carbon steel. Both usually used on gas range but have done coals/campfires.

I didn't care for either counter-top electric models, but its been 20+ years. They may have improved.

I've never used one on an electric range, the cast iron might hold the heat, but I would be concerned about getting it to high heat.

Electric stove, thanks!

In my opinion, electric ranges don't get hot enough to justify a quality wok purchase.

And of the standard flat bottomed 'woks' should be okay, but results won't be the same as cooking with high btu gas and quality wok.

Mine is from China and is over 40 years old. Not sure what kind it is, some kind of hand hammered carbon steel...

Back