Best Apple Varieties for both cider and pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are getting ready to plant a few apple trees, and would like to find a variety that is good for both hard cider and pie. It seems to me that a sweet-tart apple would work well. If the tannins are too high, it might not work well for pie. We also hope to find a variety that is disease resistant and stores well. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. So far I am considering Arkansas Black or Roxbury Russet.

I live in USDA zone 8. I already have a Fuji, whichis in pollination group 3, so Ideally I would like to find a variety that will cross-pollinate with that. Many heirloom apples are triploid, so we might have to add a crab apple for polination purposes.

aren't the granny smith apples great for pies.

in my experience with cider it took a variety of apples, but if you get some heirloom tree from england than one should do it. has all the tannins and sugars.

We decided to go with three trees, in addition to the Fuji that we already have for eating apples:
* Enterprise
* Winesap
* Whitney crab apple
Both Enterprise and Winesap should be good for both pies and cider. The crab apples can be used to add tannins as needed. They are all in/near the same pollination group, so they should work well together.

Northern Spy sounds like a good choice, but it is in a different pollination group, so it won't work well with what we already have.

Back