What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some pickles, cucumber bush still putting out quite a few
IMG_20190825_110704.jpg

Made some beet chips with my beets :)
IMG_20190825_164633.jpg

I made this yesterday. It was excellent. I have to confess I did buy the Sun Gold cherry tomatoes from the local farmers market, the rest are from my garden. I highly recommend. My lovely wife loved it. If you give it a try, just make sure that the goat cheese mixture is at room temp. so it spreads easy.

Cherry Tomato & Cheese Galette (another Chef John inspired adventure - link to his recipe below)

20190825_130050.jpg

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/08/cherry-tomato-cheese-galette.html

I made this yesterday. It was excellent. I have to confess I did buy the Sun Gold cherry tomatoes from the local farmers market, the rest are from my garden. I highly recommend. My lovely wife loved it. If you give it a try, just make sure that the goat cheese mixture is at room temp. so it spreads easy.

Cherry Tomato & Cheese Galette (another Chef John inspired adventure - link to his recipe below)

View attachment 641610

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/08/cherry-tomato-cheese-galette.html

Very nice, wife made something similar a few weeks ago; however, I think hers was a pluot galette (dessert-y).

I have my first attempt at sauerkraut going. Is there any way to know when it is ready for the fridge except taste?

It's such a subjective thing that you do have to keep tasting it til it's the way YOU like it. We do ours at room temp (72*) for a couple weeks then put it into the fermentation fridge at about 60* for another month or more. THEN when it's just right - into the regular fridge!

I do room temp until it smells sour. Usually about a week to 10 days. Then in the fridge for several weeks before eating any. Last batch i made this way was SUPER sour and really crunchy. I go easier on the salt. No more than 2% by weight for cabbage. Last batch was slightly under that. More salt you use the longer it might take to get going.

The key imo is a good fermenter and packing the cabbage down tight. I have nearly zero head space using a E-Jen fermenter. Very little air touches the top of my ferment. Once its sour enough for the fridge you can put it in something easier to store like 2 quart mason jars. Pack it into the jar/s and top off with some 2% brine if needed.

My E-Jen is relatively small so i dont swap it out right away. They work great keeping ferments mold free.

Last edited:
I was in Gila Bend Arizona a couple of weeks ago - south of Phoenix, almost mexico. You'd think I could get good pork adovada. I tried two places, bad bad. So I came back with a yearning! Not the first time I've made it, but this is the first time I made my own corn tortilla. I use a bunch of dried ancho and pacilla chilis, cook and purree, then cubed pork shoulder goes in.

BTW, thanks @camonick for the beer. It was so good, I had to look at the label twice to figure out if it was commercial or not. Dayum.

upload_2019-8-27_12-51-19.png

upload_2019-8-27_12-52-40.png
upload_2019-8-27_12-52-46.png
upload_2019-8-27_12-52-51.png
upload_2019-8-27_12-52-58.png

Try that with aji panca its mild and dried potato too. Just swap out the pasilla for the aji panca. The authentic version is called carapulcra and served with steamed rice. Spicesinc and Amazon have the panca powder or dried pods. I grow the peppers and tried some of the powder off Amazon. I prefer my homegrown sun dried pods but the powder or even the paste is very good.

I may pick up some Chilhuacle [chee wah lee] negro on Thursday. Its a dark chocolate spicy bell from Oaxaca region in Mexico. Local grower has some. They are commonly used for their version of mole negro. Im not a fan of mole with chocolate but i love the flavor of some dark brown almost black pods.

Pork and celery stir-fry...pretty straightforward.
View attachment 641816

One of my favorite Chinese chefs made a simple stirfry he called celery beef. No real sauce to speak of just beef, celery and a very small amount of dried chile peppers. Ive never been able to duplicate the flavor he got out of the celery. It was intense. The flavor was a classic example of wok hei (breath of the wok) that is nearly impossible to achieve at home.

One of my favorite Chinese chefs made a simple stirfry he called celery beef. No real sauce to speak of just beef, celery and a very small amount of dried chile peppers. Ive never been able to duplicate the flavor he got out of the celery. It was intense. The flavor was a classic example of wok hei (breath of the wok) that is nearly impossible to achieve at home.

Sounds yummy : )

I have my first attempt at sauerkraut going. Is there any way to know when it is ready for the fridge except taste?
Remember that room temperature is a subjective term. My summer ferments are quicker than my winter ones. But winter in my garage rarely exceeds 50f whereas summer ferments are indoors with temperatures in the 70s.

Remember that room temperature is a subjective term. My summer ferments are quicker than my winter ones. But winter in my garage rarely exceeds 50f whereas summer ferments are indoors with temperatures in the 70s.
Yeah. It's been over 100F for a week now so it's a toasty 84F in the house.

I was in Gila Bend Arizona a couple of weeks ago - south of Phoenix, almost mexico. You'd think I could get good pork adovada. I tried two places, bad bad. So I came back with a yearning! Not the first time I've made it, but this is the first time I made my own corn tortilla. I use a bunch of dried ancho and pacilla chilis, cook and purree, then cubed pork shoulder goes in.

BTW, thanks @camonick for the beer. It was so good, I had to look at the label twice to figure out if it was commercial or not. Dayum.

View attachment 641765
View attachment 641766View attachment 641767View attachment 641768View attachment 641769
To me, that is tops. I love food like that. Nice.

@Temptd2 those stuffed zucchini look awesome. I like the meat mixture. Havent had a lot of venison.

I need help with doughnuts. The kids love them. I like the Betty Crocker cake doughnut recipe but when I fried them it said 1 to 2 minutes. Yeah right. They were all doughy. They were to big I wonder. Finished in oven and dried out. I really want to make them. Any tips appreciated the kids love them.

You know its funny. I can start kimchi in the kitchen at around 75F and it smells sour within 3 days. Still smells "raw/green" but it is certainly sour and ready for the fridge. After that it takes a month to start to really shine. If its warmer then go the least amount of time possible before finishing the ferment in a cool to cold environment.

Ive made kraut that sat out longer before going in the fridge and it just dont have the same "snap" i get from a cooler longer ferment. Plain kraut though i cant get to sour nearly as fast as kimchi without a starter culture. You can add things like sugars or a dash of fish sauce to help the lacto get a good jump start. Even a little of the Korean pepper flakes could be helping too. A slightly spicy kraut is killer. I make it all the time with just a little gochugaru added.

It's such a subjective thing that you do have to keep tasting it til it's the way YOU like it. We do ours at room temp (72*) for a couple weeks then put it into the fermentation fridge at about 60* for another month or more. THEN when it's just right - into the regular fridge!
Is there a way to do the sauerkraut without having to pound it? I have a nice electric slicer and a food processor to work with. This would be my first shot at it. We have a ton of cabbage that I don't want to waste.
Thanks.

Accidentally figured out that a single left-click zooms in which is very helpful especially on the "What are you drinking now" thread to see the ABV and beer info on the bottles. Should have read the instruction manual.

Is there a way to do the sauerkraut without having to pound it? I have a nice electric slicer and a food processor to work with. This would be my first shot at it. We have a ton of cabbage that I don't want to waste.
Thanks.
I don't pound, I shred er um thinly slice. Works fine for me. Pounding may make fermentation start faster by breaking cellwalls, but hasn't deterred me from my current method.

I don't pound, I shred er um thinly slice. Works fine for me. Pounding may make fermentation start faster by breaking cellwalls, but hasn't deterred me from my current method.
Thank you. I'm all over doing it if I don't have to pound it. I'll use the slicer and get it very thin. If you don't mind one more question, should I cover it with some type of liquid?
I made sour cream, which was fun to do, but nothing to write home about or any better than Daisy which uses just cream.

Thank you. I'm all over doing it if I don't have to pound it. I'll use the slicer and get it very thin. If you don't mind one more question, should I cover it with some type of liquid?
I made sour cream, which was fun to do, but nothing to write home about or any better than Daisy which uses just cream.

If you're talking about sauer kraut, put the cabbage in your crock or whatever container you're using. Keep it submerged by putting a big ziplock baggie full of water on top of it. That's what I do, anyway, works great.

If you're talking about sauer kraut, put the cabbage in your crock or whatever container you're using. Keep it submerged by putting a big ziplock baggie full of water on top of it. That's what I do, anyway, works great.

Thank you. I'll certainly use a bag of water as a weight. That just leaves what liquid to soak the cabbage in unless it's going to generate its own juice as it spoils. Obviously, this will be my first time making sauerkraut.
I'm intend to put cheese cloth on as a cover. I would also appreciate any basic tips like if/when to add salt or who knows what.

Thank you. I'll certainly use a bag of water as a weight. That just leaves what liquid to soak the cabbage in unless it's going to generate its own juice as it spoils. Obviously, this will be my first time making sauerkraut.
I'm intend to put cheese cloth on as a cover. I would also appreciate any basic tips like if/when to add salt or who knows what.

I've made it a couple of times. I just shredded it, packed it down into my huge jar as best I could, and added some water and salt. When the cabbage starts getting soft, it compacts down a lot, but it'll still float. You don't want any of it over the level of the water. Don't worry, cabbage just wants to be sauerkraut, just add water and cover and wait.

At least put a couple of tbsp of salt in for a head of cabbage.

I have a batch of kraut going now. I sliced the cabbage with a mandolin putting it in a large bowl distributing the salt as I go. I also smush it around with my hands working the salt into the cabbage before I put it in the crock and tamp it down. This past batch made enough liquid to fully cover the ceramic weights... that hasn't happened before, so I guess the cabbage was nice and fresh.

You dont need to pound the cabbage/salt mixture. I never do. Mix in 2% salt by weight by hand. Let it set 2 hours in a bowl covered with a clean cloth. Give it a good mix up every 20min.

9 grams of salt per pound is about 2%. Thats roughly 1/2 tbs of Mortons canning salt.
19 grams per quart of water is about 2%.

After the 2 hours pack it tight in a mason jar. If you dont have a kraut packer use a glass bottle that fits inside the jar.

Place the jar in a cabinet that stays sorta warm like one over the fridge. You dont have to have an airlock. Use the Mason band and lid lightly finger tight. VERY LIGHTLY. It will burp on its own. Leave it alone for at least 5 days then give it a quick sniff. Dont leave the lid off long, do it as fast as possible.

If the jar is very full place it in a bowl or pan in case it overflows.

Made some stir fry tonight. Velveting the meat is a PITA, but worth it.

Totally better texture and flavor.
What did you velvet with. I have heard egg whites or baking soda?

Still looking for some doughnut tips, if anyone has them?

Back