What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasta
20190831_182320.jpeg
20190831_164853.jpeg
20190831_164635.jpeg
20190901_072411.jpeg

I got this to go with my new pizza oven. The bottom seems weird, shouldnt it be flat. Anyways hoping perfect fit fo oven

I'm fixin' ta put 2 full racks of baby backs, seasoned up yesterday, into my smoker/roaster oven. Will try to remember pics later. Was GONNA cook 'em yesterday starting at 1 pm - power went out at 11:30 and didn't come back til 1:30! By then it was later than I wanted to start and I was out of the mood.

In the meanwhile - if you do keto/low carb - the latest craze is Chaffles which is a waffle made with nothing more than egg and cheese. They're pretty tasty. After experimenting around a bit yesterday, I came up with a chocolate version (no cheese but still a Chaffle - chocolate waffle!) and then turned it into an ice cream sandwich with homemade Keto ice cream. They're right tasty!

IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg

I'm fixin' ta put 2 full racks of baby backs, seasoned up yesterday, into my smoker/roaster oven. Will try to remember pics later. Was GONNA cook 'em yesterday starting at 1 pm - power went out at 11:30 and didn't come back til 1:30! By then it was later than I wanted to start and I was out of the mood.

In the meanwhile - if you do keto/low carb - the latest craze is Chaffles which is a waffle made with nothing more than egg and cheese. They're pretty tasty. After experimenting around a bit yesterday, I came up with a chocolate version (no cheese but still a Chaffle - chocolate waffle!) and then turned it into an ice cream sandwich with homemade Keto ice cream. They're right tasty!

View attachment 643426 View attachment 643427
Please share all the details...

T2's Chocolate Chaffle Recipe
Yield - 4 waffles

2 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
2 tablespoons granulated sugar substitute - not Splenda, it doesn't play well with chocolate.
1 teaspoon coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder - make sure it's fresh, within 6 months of opening.
pinch salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients til well blended and no lumps in the cocoa powder.

Mix the vanilla and cream into the beaten egg. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir til no dry ingredients remain visible.

Now preheat your waffle iron. I use the Dash mini waffle maker. Let the batter stand til the iron is good and hot. This helps the baking powder get a start on lifting the batter.

Once the waffle iron is preheated, add about a heaping tablespoon of batter (about 1/4 of the mixture) to the waffle iron, spreading it to just cover the bottom. The baking powder will make it start to puff up as soon as it hits the hot iron. Close the lid and don't peek for 6 minutes.

Carefully lift out - I pick up the edges with a fork then slide a silicone spatula under the chaffle. Move to a rack to cool.

Repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 chocolate chaffles.

Once cooled, you can fill with your choice of ice cream and wrap well in plastic wrap, then freeze til needed.

Per chocolate chaffle - 38 calories, .7 grams carbs, 3.2 grams fat, 1.9 grams protein (per my ingredients and figured with Stupid Simple Keto app - I don't count the sweetener in the totals)

T2's Chocolate Chaffle Recipe
Yield - 4 waffles

2 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
2 tablespoons granulated sugar substitute - not Splenda, it doesn't play well with chocolate.
1 teaspoon coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder - make sure it's fresh, within 6 months of opening.
pinch salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients til well blended and no lumps in the cocoa powder.

Mix the vanilla and cream into the beaten egg. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir til no dry ingredients remain visible.

Now preheat your waffle iron. I use the Dash mini waffle maker. Let the batter stand til the iron is good and hot. This helps the baking powder get a start on lifting the batter.

Once the waffle iron is preheated, add about a heaping tablespoon of batter (about 1/4 of the mixture) to the waffle iron, spreading it to just cover the bottom. The baking powder will make it start to puff up as soon as it hits the hot iron. Close the lid and don't peek for 6 minutes.

Carefully lift out - I pick up the edges with a fork then slide a silicone spatula under the chaffle. Move to a rack to cool.

Repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 chocolate chaffles.

Once cooled, you can fill with your choice of ice cream and wrap well in plastic wrap, then freeze til needed.

Per chocolate chaffle - 38 calories, .7 grams carbs, 3.2 grams fat, 1.9 grams protein (per my ingredients and figured with Stupid Simple Keto app - I don't count the sweetener in the totals)
Nice! I have all of that already. Sounds fantastic. The wife will be very happy, especially if you share the ice cream details, also...

LOL!! OK!

T2's Keto Vanilla Ice Cream

1 cup Trader Joe's Cashew/Almond/Macadamia nut milk (or whatever you have similar)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
2/3 cup Bochasweet sugar substitute*
10 drops liquid Stevia or a quick squirt of Pyure sweetener
pinch sea salt
very small pinch xanthan gum, optional

Mix that all together very well. I use a tall 1 quart silicone measure and an immersion blender; you can just use a bowl and beaters, or a blender, or whatever you have. You just want to be sure that the sweeteners dissolve completely.

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

I use a Cuisinart ice cream maker, 1.5 quart, with the bowl that stays in the freezer til you're ready to use it. Get it running, then pour in the mix, set time for 26 minutes. When done, it will still be soft (like soft-serve ice cream). Scoop it into a freezer container and freeze a couple hours before serving.

*Bochasweet sweetener has a quality which keeps the ice cream soft enough to dig out of the container straight from the freezer. You can use other sweeteners instead but it freezes up pretty hard - just let it sit out about 15 to 20 minutes before you want to serve it. You can buy it directly from the company or on Amazon.

The xanthan gum helps with the texture a bit too but you literally want about 1/8 teaspoon or it will develop an "off" texture to it.

I've found that you can flavor this base up with SF jello powder! I LOVE the lemon one. Orange is good; have peach right now. It's pretty subtle, might use 2 packets next time. If you decide to use the jello blend it in JUST before adding the base to the freezer bowl.

I've made mint choco chip too, using mint extract and chopped Lilly's SF choco chips; peppermint stick using peppermint extract and crushed SF peppermint candies; coffee using instant coffee, about 2 tablespoons, dissolved in the almond milk first, then add the other ingredients; matcha green tea, same as the coffee. All kinds of possibilities!

To make the sandwiches, use two of the chocolate waffles and about 1/3 cup ice cream (I use a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop) - ice cream needs to be somewhat softened. Put the scoop of ice cream on the bottom waffle and gently smoosh it down with the top waffle; wrap in plastic wrap and freeze at least a couple hours. The waffle stays somewhat crispy and boy they are GOOD!

Love it! Many thanks, @Temptd2

I've never been a dessert person, but my wife is. Since we've gone keto at the end of May, I've been missing beer, (and my hobby), and she's been missing fun desserts. This looks like it may be a great addition to my kitchen.

Thanks again!

Just made this (+ a pound of Italian sausage)...

Using this... The sauce was awesome! I would try a different pasta next time, maybe shells.

Love it! Many thanks, @Temptd2

I've never been a dessert person, but my wife is. Since we've gone keto at the end of May, I've been missing beer, (and my hobby), and she's been missing fun desserts. This looks like it may be a great addition to my kitchen.

Thanks again!
You’re very welcome. Glad to help out another keto convert!

BTW @imasickboy I completely get the "missing the beer and the hobby" part of this way of eating - we gave up alcoholic bevegages about 5 days into Keto - what we're now doing is turning the rest of our beer into malt vinegar! Boy it's good stuff too. So a new hobby was born! Also making apple cider vinegar 5 gallons at a time as we use the stuff in drinking water - good for your guts and all!

BTW @imasickboy I completely get the "missing the beer and the hobby" part of this way of eating - we gave up alcoholic bevegages about 5 days into Keto - what we're now doing is turning the rest of our beer into malt vinegar! Boy it's good stuff too. So a new hobby was born! Also making apple cider vinegar 5 gallons at a time as we use the stuff in drinking water - good for your guts and all!
I haven't given up alcohol, just beer. Mostly. I'll still have some beers when there's an event or something that I'm attending, or occasionally a one-off sometime when I'm out. I'm drinking more liquor than ever, though. I've dropped 40 pounds since the end of May, so it's been worthwhile.

I'd have no use for malt vinegar since I can't eat a floccing french fry!

Oh but - malt vinegar is so good on veggies, in salad dressing, on fish, to make a steak pan sauce with butter.... ;)

We gave up beer first and then went full-bore giving up alcohol because it stops ketosis til your bod has a chance to process it all out - however we DID drink one of our home-brewed brown ales last week to no ill effects. Will be few and far between though!

Good for you on the weight loss! My initial goal was to lose 12 pounds - I'm now down 18 plus. We started 1/22/19. Can't see any reason to stop! Besides we LOVE eating this way!

Speaking of - have a nice organic chicken going round and round in the Showtime Rotisserie. Should be good in about 30 more minutes. Sliced avocado with lime juice/sea salt will be tasty with it and some pico de Gallo too.

Fwiw it’s possible to brew very low carb tasty beers. I can’t see these being worse for Keto diet than spirits. Check out the brut ipa threads if you are interested. I started Keto last year and have mainly brewed these and seem to be doing fine on them.

It's such a subjective thing that you do have to keep tasting it til it's the way YOU like it. We do ours at room temp (72*) for a couple weeks then put it into the fermentation fridge at about 60* for another month or more. THEN when it's just right - into the regular fridge!
It's been 3 weeks now and I still don't taste any tartness. I'm wondering if I might have accidentally used the iodized salt and if that would inhibit fermentation...

Back