Tired of Citra, Mosiac, and Galaxy NE IPAS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he mean his first addition is at 20. Then the rest of the hops he is using will be at 2 mins, the whirlpool, and dryhop

obvious.

Im referring to the fact that he has called out only denali. Does the “rest” refer to chinook? A blend of both? At each addition? Or are some additions single hop? Etc.

obvious.

Im referring to the fact that he has called out only denali. Does the “rest” refer to chinook? A blend of both? At each addition? Or are some additions single hop? Etc.

Sorry - not so clear there.

Really meant that single hop type (Denali) at 20, and Denali/Chinook combos for all remaining additions. If any other hops used to supplement, add those at 2 min and after.

Got it.

Ive been thinking of that combo in my head as i heard there was a claim of chinook becoming fruity in bio transformation.

Couchsending suggests denali/dorado/zythos. So now im thinking maybe i sub the zythos for chinook. Combine both suggestions.

Got it.

Ive been thinking of that combo in my head as i heard there was a claim of chinook becoming fruity in bio transformation.

Couchsending suggests denali/dorado/zythos. So now im thinking maybe i sub the zythos for chinook. Combine both suggestions.

I personally have found pineapple on the nose when Chinook is used as a late-primary fermentation addition. Couple that with Denali additions and you may have a wonderful pineapple flavor.

For that , I am thinking that Simcoe would add some balance to that equation. Not sure of timing just yet (will work on that) but Simcoe should do nice things. Or better yet - Waimea with Denail/Chinook!!! Oh, I like that......

Got it.

You ever use the zythos? I've never used it but have 8 oz I'm going to open soon and probably use heavily in a NEIPA. I also have 1 lb of chinook I need to start using too and I was thinking putting them together, albeit lesser amount of chinook to zythos

The bad news: I have a Citra/Mosaic NEIPA in the fermentation chamber.

The good news: I have a Azacca/El Dorado/Lemon Drop NEIPA in the chamber as well!

I am not very original. Citra/Mosaic is a brain dead combo...the other was from a commercial beer I enjoyed.

Idaho7, Comet, and Sabro get it done for me. I've been doing them raw with Kveik.
Cheers!

Last NEIPA was a Centennial,Citra,Falconers Flight, and Moteuka. Plus spruce tips. I really liked it but it didn't do too well at competitions- too much spruce.
Currently have one I'm about to bottle that's using some hops I got at Homebrewcon- Loral, Cascade, Idaho7 and Idaho Gem,and two experimental hops with promising flavor descriptions. Plus I've cut the amount of spruce tips by 1/2. We'll see in a week or two.

I'm doing a columbus, centennial, HBC 342 one this week. Love buying the cheap pounders on MoreBeers Hop Market. I truly think the yeast is the catalyst of these styles. Every hop combo I've done comes out tasting very similar. Short of doing something like an all Galaxy or Nelson hop bill.

I'm not sure that Zythos qualifies for this thread given it's a blend, allegedly of Simcoe, Citra, Palisade, and Amarillo....

Did anybody ever try a noble hops only neipa? I'd love to try one. Saaz/Mittelfrüh neipa!
Kent Falls brewing in CT does a Pale Ale with noble hops. It's weird but very good.

Not sure if anyone here has used Apollo hops for a neipa, but I'm brewing a Citra/Apollo neipa this Thursday. I've heard good things about Apollo.

Kent Falls brewing in CT does a Pale Ale with noble hops. It's weird but very good.

Not sure if anyone here has used Apollo hops for a neipa, but I'm brewing a Citra/Apollo neipa this Thursday. I've heard good things about Apollo.

Apollo is really good in NEIPAs, I think, and blends well with Citra. Brings a nice dank and sweet quality to it.

Mosaic: super tired of it. Too sweet and cloying.
Galaxy: can’t afford it.
Citra: still love the aroma. Giving up on cryo, though.

I’ve recently made some really good single-hop NEIPAs with Idaho 7, Mandarina Bavaria, and Summit.

I don’t think I’ve made a Citra/Mosaic beer in 2 years maybe and I’ve probably brewed more than 100 hoppy beers in that time.

Made some all Citra beers, all Mosaic beers, and all Galaxy beers but haven’t combined them in a long time.

Three brews this week focusing on inexpensive yet high oil content hops on the hotside then the good stuff for the dry hop.

Generally warrior for bittering and 20. Nugget in the WP. Then a large charge of whole leaf hops in a hopback. I’ve done Galena, Centennial, and Chinook.

Galena will get all a small amount of Nugget and a lot of Citra in the DH. Nugget + Galaxy in the Chinook beer, Citra, Galaxy, Nugget in the Centennial beer.

I did do a mostly Simcoe WC IPA with a blend of Simcoe/Citra and a touch of Mosaic in the dry hop. Been loving Simcoe lately. Stuff I have is very fruity, hardly any pine and no cat piss.

Last edited:
I did do a mostly Simcoe WC IPA with a blend of Simcoe/Citra and a touch of Mosaic in the dry hop. Been loving Simcoe lately. Stuff I have is very fruity, hardly any pine and no cat piss.

I thought I hated both Simcoe and Citra after having several commercial beers 3 or 4 years ago that smelled like a glass of cat urine. I am not sure if it was the crop year or harvesting process, but I get very little of that these days. My girlfriend appears to be more sensitive to that smell/taste than me and she has a hard time detecting a Citra beer these days.

I like a bunch of huell melon and mandarina in several late additions and wp, then dry hop liberally together with rakau. Made a really nice DIPA with those last fall, think I'll brew it again soon.

OK for the sake of it, and because I am having about 150 g low alpha saaz in my freezer which I have to get rid of, I'm gonna brew 14 litres of noble hop only neipa. Bittering with Perle (also need to get rid of that one) and all the rest saaz.

Which yeast would you choose, Bry 97 or us05?

Does 14g hops per liter sound all right?

OK for the sake of it, and because I am having about 150 g low alpha saaz in my freezer which I have to get rid of, I'm gonna brew 14 litres of noble hop only neipa. Bittering with Perle (also need to get rid of that one) and all the rest saaz.

I've thought about trying this too, looking forward to your results..

I did brew an IPA with all newer German hops, I used hallertau blanc, mandarina bavaria and huell melon. It was pretty good but not as fruity as I expected. Mild stone fruits, some citrus and green herbaceous notes with a pleasant floral aroma. After several weeks in the fridge the h. blanc became the dominant hop flavor and was really nice.

Last edited:
Next weekend I'll brew an IPA and because I'm a bit on the nut side and f$% Citra, I'll use small ammounts of Styrian Wolf, Cascade, Polaris, Azacca, Ekuanot and El Dorado at WP and the last 3 at DDH.

I've thought about trying this too, looking forward to your results..

I did brew an IPA with all newer German hops, I used hallertau blanc, mandarina bavaria and huell melon. It was pretty good but not as fruity as I expected. Mild stone fruits, some citrus and green herbaceous notes with a pleasant floral aroma. After several weeks in the fridge the h. blanc became the dominant hop flavor and was really nice.
Add some Cascade, I like MB!

I don’t know if it was simply because I was new to homrbrewibg when I used it but I used bry-97 on 4 different occasions and each time the beer came off much more harsh in bitterness. I have since rebrewed 2 of this beers using A24 and they were much smoother. Like I said though idk if it’s a true correlation or my own personal process improvements

Just kegged one very heavy on Cashmere with also some Calypso and Columbus mixed in. I'll report back in a few weeks if it's any good. First time using cashmere

4g/L is 1lb/bbl

Instead of combining hops at each stage in equal amounts, use different hops at different times. You’ll probably be amazed at the difference it makes.

Citra @ 10 or 5
Mosaic in WP
Galaxy at Terminal Gravity
Mosaic at 58*

Personally I hate the taste/smell of all the mosaic/citra beers. Especially ones dry hopped during fermentation.

Galaxy in its own is tits
Vic Secret in its own is amazing

I’ve got these going now

Sabro/galaxy/Vic Secret
Moutere/Motueka/Riwaka

Motueka/Citra is awesome

Cashmere/Citra is rad

Mosaic/Nelson

Nelson/Galaxy

The list goes on and on.

Denali/El Dorado/Zythos is nothing but pineapple.

All the new South African hops are available now. According to the guys at Cellarmaker Southern Passion is a top 5 in the world hop... and those guys know more about hop varieties than most breweries out there.

Or try what Trillium does with street beers and use only Columbus hot side and dry hop with one hop plus a little Columbus.

Been meaning try this with Nugget instead of Columbus but haven’t found any good nugget recently.
What ratios for a citra/motueka neipa (heavy on malted oats) would you recommend for a bomb tropical result?
many thanks!

What ratios for a citra/motueka neipa (heavy on malted oats) would you recommend for a bomb tropical result?
many thanks!

Motueka heavy on the hot side and Citra heavy in the DH. Motueka is kinda odd. It’s really limey when used hot but not that punchy in DH. I’d maybe add one other hop to the DH.

Scored 100g (~4 oz) of each Styrian Cardinal, Styrian Fox and Styrian Dragon...sounds like a great hop bill for a New Styria IPA haha

Scored 100g (~4 oz) of each Styrian Cardinal, Styrian Fox and Styrian Dragon...sounds like a great hop bill for a New Styria IPA haha

I've only brewed with Fox I think. It's actually incredibly potent but it also has aspects like Sabro (or did when I used it). I got a ton of dill out of it when I used it as a single hop in a beer. It also had really strong
tropical fruit flavors/aromas but the dill was equally as strong. Intersted to hear how this turns out. I think they could be cool hops to use, just have to figure out how to use them best.

Motueka heavy on the hot side and Citra heavy in the DH. Motueka is kinda odd. It’s really limey when used hot but not that punchy in DH. I’d maybe add one other hop to the DH.
i have some sabro, riwaka, idaho 7,mosaic,rakau, hbc630, galaxy and nelson- you reckon i can use any to support the dry hop and have the tropical bomb im after?

many thanks

I've only brewed with Fox I think. It's actually incredibly potent but it also has aspects like Sabro (or did when I used it). I got a ton of dill out of it when I used it as a single hop in a beer. It also had really strong
tropical fruit flavors/aromas but the dill was equally as strong. Intersted to hear how this turns out. I think they could be cool hops to use, just have to figure out how to use them best.

I'm not saying I will brew it in a week or two, but when I do (and when I taste) I will let you know!

i have some sabro, riwaka, idaho 7,mosaic,rakau, hbc630, galaxy and nelson- you reckon i can use any to support the dry hop and have the tropical bomb im after?

many thanks

I hate Sabro so that’s out for me. Riwaka is interesting but can be really diesely. HBc630 has some really cool red fruit character but also is kinda earthy. If you want something different than Mosaic and Galaxy then I’d suggest Nelson or Rakau If you want the most “tropical” punch without using Mosaic or Galaxy. But again I’d smell everything and go with what smells best.

I hate Sabro so that’s out for me. Riwaka is interesting but can be really diesely. HBc630 has some really cool red fruit character but also is kinda earthy. If you want something different than Mosaic and Galaxy then I’d suggest Nelson or Rakau If you want the most “tropical” punch without using Mosaic or Galaxy. But again I’d smell everything and go with what smells best.
sweet. thanks for the nice insights- ill give rakau a shot then!

Next beer I’m brewing is a single hop Eclipse ipa. (Formerly HPA-016) I got 12 ounces of it from YVH. Hop Products Australia are apparently pretty excited about it. It’s the first Aussie Hop to receive a name in 7 years I believe.

77837CD5-86B6-4263-B90D-23002D3AAC8F.png

Next beer I’m brewing is a single hop Eclipse ipa. (Formerly HPA-016) I got 12 ounces of it from YVH. Hop Products Australia are apparently pretty excited about. It’s the first Aussie Hop to receive a name in 7 years I believe.

Based on my experience I’d maybe curb your enthusiasm for this hop. It does have a very strong orange/tangerine note to it but it also has a ton of Anise/Black Licorice. Like overpowering amounts
of it. I ordered some 2020 crop around this time last year from Australia and it was very fresh. I’ve heard that this character actually can fade over time. I’ve actually got a few pounds of it that I’m intentionally oxidizing in my freezer that I was thinking of using again here soon.

Based on my experience I’d maybe curb your enthusiasm for this hop. It does have a very strong orange/tangerine note to it but it also has a ton of Anise/Black Licorice. Like overpowering amounts
of it. I ordered some 2020 crop around this time last year from Australia and it was very fresh. I’ve heard that this character actually can fade over time. I’ve actually got a few pounds of it that I’m intentionally oxidizing in my freezer that I was thinking of using again here soon.
Yeah, I saw your post about the anise/black licorice when you brewed with it, and I agree with you about some of these crazy Aussie hops benefiting from some age. (2019 enigma was incredible)

The hops I got are from 2020 so I’m going to see how it goes. All the reading I’ve done on it seems to make it sound incredible...but that could just be hype.

https://craftypint.com/news/2523/Total_Eclipse_Of_The_Hop
Apparently HPA are so confident In it that they are scaling up the acreage to make it their third largest variety. The guys in this video seem like d-bags but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
Instead of combining hops at each stage in equal amounts, use different hops at different times. You’ll probably be amazed at the difference it makes.

Along these lines...I have been seeing a lot more research these days about different hop oils and about how different levels of oils in different hops make them better suited for different usage (boil, whirlpool, early fermentation, late fermentation).

Scott Janish has done a great job of combining hop research in his book ("The New IPA") as well as his blog and various podcast appearances. His recent publication has a lot of good science-heavy info: Dry Hop Best Practices: Using Science as a Guidefor Process and Recipe Development - Scott Janish

The latest episode of The Bru Lab podcast (Episode 011 | Brewing With CO2 Hop Extract w/ Dr. Marshall Ligare) also had some great info on categories of hop oils and discussion of solubility vs volatility. The Brü Lab

I tend to brew more American IPAs and Pale Ales myself. Part of me really wants to dig into brewing great NEIPAs, but that style dominates so many tap handles that it is hard to get motivated to brew them at home.

My last NEIPA (which was a year ago) had several ounces of Centennial on the hot side, and in the first dry hop charge. The theory being that Centennial has a lot of "good" hop oils and is a good hop for biotransformation as well. I want to play around with Idaho-7 in that spot on a future brew.

fwiw, I've been working on a Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze clone using Azacca, Idaho 7 and Strata.
First semi-guided effort (SN is awesome about listing ingredients so one just has to work on ratios and timing) was excellent and pretty darned close to the prototype...

Cheers!

Back