New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I don't think thats a cat...its a bobcat. second, the bobcat is starring down @Dgallo saying "stay away from my beer bro or I'll rip your face off!" lol

EDIT: or he/she is pissed because "its not enough nelson dude!"
I’m always surprised on how much Nelson comes through even when only 2 oz were used in dryhop

Last edited:
Apple + Pear cider from September last year. It has been in the keg since February and is tasting really nice. I stabilized it and added a little FAJC to backsweeten.
PXL_20220729_003939542.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pale ale with honey added. Trident, Sultana and Azacca hops with Pale malt, C60 and some honey malt.
PXL_20220730_003806966.PORTRAIT.jpg

Off to Spain for two weeks. Fancied cracking one of my few remaining HB British Strong Ales from my dad's birthday batch brewed about 7 weeks ago. These have been bottle conditioned for about a month now. Three left.

PXL-20220731-172142610-PORTRAIT.jpg

I'm disappointed in the lack of clarity for the bottled ones, but I don't even think I Protafloced it let alone doing anything like gelatine fining. Weirdly the keg dropped clear very quickly. Maybe it's because the bottles have been stored on their side and the keg was upright in my cold cellar? Anyway, it's bloody ace. Definitely going to do a full size batch of it. It's got a real complex interplay between malt and yeast that kind of reminds me of a Belgian Dubbel, but distinctively English. No wonder my dad smashed 5L in a week despite it being 7.2% (and him having a laryngectomy)

White Hoppy Oat Ale (WHOA!) with Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin hops. The flaked oats and Golden Naked Oats give it a rather full impression and mouthfeel in spite of it clocking in at only 3.4% abv.

Now, this has been in the bottle for only a week (the first one I cracked open) and it came out quite a bit darker than I expected... Fingers crossed this muthahubba won't turn purple!

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_203223.jpg
    IMG_20220806_203223.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My Homebrewed smoothie style sour with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, Tahitian Vanilla, and Cheesecake. That’s right, I puréed 2 whole cheesecakes in with the fruit lol The golden hour sun makes the sour look outrageous lol
24C90C51-6642-4623-A431-9FDF89E3F437.jpeg

My Homebrewed smoothie style sour with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, Tahitian Vanilla, and Cheesecake. That’s right, I puréed 2 whole cheesecakes in with the fruit lol The golden hour sun makes the sour look outrageous lolView attachment 777710
Looks great man! Great head retention too! :p I imagine the cheesecake is the culprit?

My Homebrewed smoothie style sour with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, Tahitian Vanilla, and Cheesecake. That’s right, I puréed 2 whole cheesecakes in with the fruit lol

That's not how you make a smoothie, man :p

How does the chocolate work. I’ve always thought of adding nibs to a few sours to come off like a chocolate cover berry thing but have just been nervous to try it

It works great. I've done many variations of chocolate with raspberry stouts and sours , mostly for brewfests, and they are always popular.

I've done chocolate a few ways, including nibs in the boil and/or nibs in secondary. In this case though, it was cocoa powder in both the boil and secondary. Also vanilla bean in secondary, because I'm convinced that a hint of vanilla fires the drinker's "this is chocolate" synapse.

Hb’d Belgian Strong Ale - ABV 12.6%
On big brewday my HB club brewed an 100% maris otter barleywine. I took 6 gallons of that and fermented it 50/50 with US05 and Imperial Rustic (Belgian). I then aged it on orange zest and bourbon conditioned Oak Spirals. The orange is a little too bright right now but other than that it’s pretty good
86A6349A-2D05-426C-88A3-A5111643F880.jpeg

HB double hazy IPA with Amarillo, Sabro and Simcoe. 9% and very delicious.
Not quite perfect but definitely the best hazy I've brewed so far. Changes for next time:
  1. Higher OG, higher FG. It only finished at about 1.012, it's not thin per se but could do with a touch more sweetness. Slightly higher mash temperature would probably help, especially seen as I've finally nailed high OG mashing on my BrewZilla.
  2. I love Simcoe, but I think I'd drop it for something like Mosaic that's got a bit more of the overripe tropical fruit as it's pretty dank
  3. Different yeast maybe? I've only got a hint of the sourness 644 can throw, but with the low FG it makes the beer tarter than I wanted. Might try a co-pitch of something really estery and lower attenuation with something clean and efficient.

PXL-20220908-203756469-PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
HB double hazy IPA with Amarillo, Sabro and Simcoe. 9% and very delicious.
Not quite perfect but definitely the best hazy I've brewed so far. Changes for next time:
  1. Higher OG, higher FG. It only finished at about 1.012, it's not thin per se but could do with a touch more sweetness. Slightly higher mash temperature would probably help, especially seen as I've finally nailed high OG mashing on my BrewZilla.
  2. I love Simcoe, but I think I'd drop it for something like Mosaic that's got a bit more of the overripe tropical fruit as it's pretty dank
  3. Different yeast maybe? I've only got a hint of the sourness 644 can throw, but with the low FG it makes the beer tarter than I wanted. Might try a co-pitch of something really estery and lower attenuation with something clean and efficient.

PXL-20220908-203756469-PORTRAIT.jpg
644 is an sta1 positive strain so it’s not really the one to use if you intend a higher fg as it will continue to break down the non fermentable into fermentables. If you’re bottling it’s particularly troublesome as it will cause over carbing/ bottle bombs if bottled high.

If I were you I’d use a London Ale type strain and mash around 154. That will typically have you finish 1.018-1.020.

Mosaic can be quite dank as well as it’s mother is Simcoe. That said I love Simcoe and mosaic together at a 1:2 ratio.

Just some unsolicited food for thought lol

I knew 644 was STA-1 positive but I keg and turned this one round really quickly. Including dry hop it was in the fermenter a week before kegging and cold crashing.

I'd really like to find a yeast combination that's tropical or stone fruit ester forward and hits around 80% but without being STA-1 positive...and ideally floccing a bit better. Verdant IPA is partway there but I feel it needs something to underpin it.

I'm almost tempted to try a hefe yeast as the banana might play nice with the other tropical flavours.

I knew 644 was STA-1 positive but I keg and turned this one round really quickly. Including dry hop it was in the fermenter a week before kegging and cold crashing.

I'd really like to find a yeast combination that's tropical or stone fruit ester forward and hits around 80% but without being STA-1 positive...and ideally floccing a bit better. Verdant IPA is partway there but I feel it needs something to underpin it.

I'm almost tempted to try a hefe yeast as the banana might play nice with the other tropical flavours.
Everyone certainly has their presence with attenuation. For this style my concern is mouthfeel over attenuation

Maybe look into WLP067 - Costal haze. It’s still an sta1 blend but I’ve seen people claim it stabilizes a little higher

Last edited:
Everyone certainly has their presence with attenuation. For this style my concern is mouthfeel over attenuation

Maybe look into WLP067 - Costal haze. It’s still an sta1 blend but I’ve seen people claim it stabilizes a little higher
I think I might try a Lallemand Verdant and Koln Kölch copitch fermented around 21°C, and upping my OG to about 1.080 with a 20m@67°C/40m@70°C step mash. That should finish about 1.019 instead of 1.012 and still hit 8%.

Very impressed with both the Incognito and Spectrum (except what an oily mess they made of the fermenter). Will definitely use again.

Think I'll try Mosaic/Sabro/Strata next time round...

Back