Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week into trying a spitfire clone with this yeast. Like some others have commented I still have a good inch of great looking krausen floating around on it. Definitely the longest I have had one stick around for. Started bringing the temp up a bit today for a diacetyl rest and plan to keg it on Wednesday. Can't wait to see how it tastes

Any issue with building a starter from a single packet? I'd rather not buy 3-4 packets for a 15-20 gallon batch.

First time I used this yeast, great result. 9 Days in fermenter no diacetyl notes. 13L. batch NEIPA (galaxy/motueka/wakatu), awesome peach/citrus notes.
I thought standard New England yeast was discontinued here, in Europe. Anyone sees the difference?

Any issue with building a starter from a single packet? I'd rather not buy 3-4 packets for a 15-20 gallon batch.
I don't know, but something about your question and statement just strikes me as odd.

I don't know, but something about your question and statement just strikes me as odd.
Was just trying to get feedback from anyone who's built up yeast count from dry form of this specific strain. I know there's tons of threads full of arguments revolved around dry yeast and starters (not needed, dry is cheaper, etc...). I guess I could say the same for your post.

Was just trying to get feedback from anyone who's built up yeast count from dry form of this specific strain. I know there's tons of threads full of arguments revolved around dry yeast and starters (not needed, dry is cheaper, etc...). I guess I could say the same for your post.
Well, it's just, you wanted to brew bigger batches, so you buy more yeast if it's dry. Breweries might be using a brick of yeast for a 10bbl batch. They aren't going to build up a starter from 10 packs because it's cheaper. Buying a few more packs isn't really going to hurt you over fussing around with a starter in my opinion.

Are you setup for 5 gallon batches? I think if you used one pack in a standard gravity 5 gallon batch and used the whole yeast cake for the 15-20 gallon batch it’s be fine.

Has anyone tried open fermentation with this yeast? I'm about 24 hours into a Verdant APA, and haven't affixed the airlock yet, just some cling wrap on top.

I dried the slurry into flakes. If using a starter, I’m would it be ok to use. I’ve done this with other yeast but wondering if it’s ok with this one. I did this as I couldn’t get it easily but now it’s available so if it’s a problem, I’ll throw it away and get more. (Pitching from slurry was fine). Thanks

Fired up my first batch with this yesterday. Underpitched to 0.5g/L ish with just half an 11g pack in 20L. Pitched 2PM yesterday after rehydrating plus a knockout small charge of Galaxy, a nice krausen and bubbling airlock this morning. So under 16h lag time with the underpitch. See how it goes over the next little while. Hoping underpitch and a warm ferment (22C/72F) or so will push the apricot ester profile.
This batch is getting Citra / Galaxy & fresh 2020 Talus, stock of Talus has just started coming in here in Aus. Plus did the water salt profile from "even sharks need water" with a decent whack of calcium chloride, a little magnesium sulphate, salt added to the boil. Also trying to nail pH in this one, a decent amount of acidulated plus phosphoric in the mash and sparge.

I dried the slurry into flakes. If using a starter, I’m would it be ok to use. I’ve done this with other yeast but wondering if it’s ok with this one. I did this as I couldn’t get it easily but now it’s available so if it’s a problem, I’ll throw it away and get more. (Pitching from slurry was fine). Thanks

I'm assuming as its been dried before at Lallemand then you should be able to dry it carefully, i'd just throw a few flakes into a small starter to make sure the viability is there before relying on it longer term.

Trying this yeast for the first time in a ~8% NEIPA. Just pitched the yeast into a 1.3 liter starter and will be brewing on Saturday. I can already smell the vanilla notes from the flask. Pretty excited to see how this turns out!

Fired up my first batch with this yesterday. Underpitched to 0.5g/L ish with just half an 11g pack in 20L. Pitched 2PM yesterday after rehydrating plus a knockout small charge of Galaxy, a nice krausen and bubbling airlock this morning. So under 16h lag time with the underpitch. See how it goes over the next little while. Hoping underpitch and a warm ferment (22C/72F) or so will push the apricot ester profile.
This batch is getting Citra / Galaxy & fresh 2020 Talus, stock of Talus has just started coming in here in Aus. Plus did the water salt profile from "even sharks need water" with a decent whack of calcium chloride, a little magnesium sulphate, salt added to the boil. Also trying to nail pH in this one, a decent amount of acidulated plus phosphoric in the mash and sparge.
Hey mate, I have only used it once, and I love it as a dry English ale strain. Up there with 1469. I prefer 029 for hoppy beers.

I’m mje1980 from ahb

Does this particular strain work well with hoppier, American style IPAs? I notice a lot of people here saying it is quite good for English style pale ales, but I'm considering using it in a Citra/Centennial/Cascade IPA soon.

Does this particular strain work well with hoppier, American style IPAs? I notice a lot of people here saying it is quite good for English style pale ales, but I'm considering using it in a Citra/Centennial/Cascade IPA soon.
It is my understanding that this strain is excellent for Hazy/NEIPA styles. I plan to use it on my next batch. As for West Coast IPAs, I'm going to stick with Chico and US-05 for now.

It is my understanding that this strain is excellent for Hazy/NEIPA styles. I plan to use it on my next batch. As for West Coast IPAs, I'm going to stick with Chico and US-05 for now.

That sounds pretty in line with what I'm looking for alright. Are there any particular flavours of note from this yeast? I have a packet of it sitting around here, so I think I'll use it on the next IPA that I do.

Hey mate, I have only used it once, and I love it as a dry English ale strain. Up there with 1469. I prefer 029 for hoppy beers.

I’m mje1980 from ahb

Sweet. I'm happy with the results so far from my batch of Neipa, great haze, mouthfeel and flavour. Don't post much on ahb anymore to be honest, its gone a little downhill over the years.

That sounds pretty in line with what I'm looking for alright. Are there any particular flavours of note from this yeast? I have a packet of it sitting around here, so I think I'll use it on the next IPA that I do.

I get apricot, peach and vanilla from it, mostly apricot.

Might order a pack of this with my next online order.
Scanning through the comments on here it should be good yeast for top cropping so it should be easy to reuse and I'll only order one pack.
Is the general consesus that it's the 1318 strain or it is signifficantly different?
I will try it for NEIPAs and English ales.
Maybe a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone as someone said it is like 1469.

Might order a pack of this with my next online order.
Scanning through the comments on here it should be good yeast for top cropping so it should be easy to reuse and I'll only order one pack.
Is the general consesus that it's the 1318 strain or it is signifficantly different?
I will try it for NEIPAs and English ales.
Maybe a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone as someone said it is like 1469.

I've done a neipa a while back with BSI London ale iii I 'borrowed' via top crop out of the blowoff from a local commercial brewery and verdant was very similar in behaviour and flavour.

I got tons of apricot and vanilla, but I think that may have been the fact I underpitched so much (half an 11g pack in 20l of 1060 wort) and pushed the temp to 22c.

Haven't used the 1469 but fair to say that those yeast strains wouldn't be too far apart given the original source of la3/the verdant isolate was boddingtons (IIRC, Northern Brewer feel free to correct me, mate!). Should still work pretty well as an general estery english ale yeast, far better flavour profile IMO than s-04.

If you don't want the big apricot notes and more of a clean profile, probably stick with a standard pitch rate or even 2 packs and keep the temp lower.

Last edited:
I've done a neipa a while back with BSI London ale iii I 'borrowed' via top crop out of the blowoff from a local commercial brewery and verdant was very similar in behaviour and flavour.

I got tons of apricot and vanilla, but I think that may have been the fact I underpitched so much (half an 11g pack in 20l of 1060 wort) and pushed the temp to 22c.

Haven't used the 1469 but fair to say that those yeast strains wouldn't be too far apart given the original source of la3/the verdant isolate was boddingtons (IIRC, Northern Brewer feel free to correct me, mate!). Should still work pretty well as an general eatery english ale yeast, far better flavour profile IMO than s-04.

If you don't want the big apricot notes and more of a clean profile, probably stick with a standard pitch rate or even 2 packs and keep the temp lower.

Thanks for the feedback.
A few esters would be welcome as long as it doesn't give off some weird flavours.
My 1318 is on it 5th generation so almost time to buy a new pack of something for NEIPAs.
This cost about 1/3 of the price so why not :)

For the first use I will use one pack on a NEIPA and harvest it before dry hopping.
Then for the English Ale make a decent sized starter and let her rip uncontrolled in my basement at 18oC ambient which will probably be a few degrees higher in the FV.
Maybe I'll do a split batch with US-05 then I will have some kind of control point to see what it brings to the party at those temperatures.

Last edited:
Brewed up an IPA with this last Sunday. People aren't exaggerating about the Krausen. First time I've ever needed a blowoff tube. Fun evening cleaning yeast gunk off the side of the FV! But I'll save the yeast from the blowoff for the next batch. In any case, there was a lovely smell coming from the airlock - distinctly tropical. Looking forward to seeing how the beer turns out.

I'm on a mission tonight to polish off my first keg of my first attempt with Verdant. It was an APA a 90/7/3 MO/carahell/melanoidin grain bill, 60m mash at 64C, and 20m additions of Centennial and Mosaic, then a 45m hopstand of Amarillo, Centennial and Mosaic. OG 1.052, FG 1.013, ferm temp 22C/72F-ish. No dry hop... it's not really my style, and for this beer, I really wanted to harvest the yeast, as this particular yeast is a bit tough to come by in my neck of the woods.

My verdict: it makes a good beer.

IMG00050.jpg

It was actually a Valentine's Day present for my wife, who loves pale ales. I'm pretty happy with the beer, especially the aroma. The beer came out a little drier than expected, though, so I'm greeted with this wonderful aroma, but it doesn't come through in the flavor. I guess I'll mash higher next time, maybe ditch the 3% melanoidin for 15% Munich, and maybe dry hop as well.

As for my wife, she's looking forward to the warmer weather, so I can use Voss again. She really digs that orange.

Last edited:
Also: I didn't notice any vanilla. I fermented maybe 9L in a 12L fermenter, and it came close to hitting the top. After a krausen developed, I went with open fermentation (covered with saran wrap) until the krausen started to dissipate.

Nope no issues at all with this or any other dey yeast in a starter. I'd recommend it given the low cell count they claim and the higher price per packet compared to other dry yeasts 🍻🍻🍻

Also if anyone is interested I've made a British Brown Ale with coffee/cinnamon/lactose with this yeast, and friends made an NEIPA with it. In both beers, the yeast performed pretty much identically to London iii, so I imagine that the rumors are true

Also if anyone is interested I've made a British Brown Ale with coffee/cinnamon/lactose with this yeast, and friends made an NEIPA with it. In both beers, the yeast performed pretty much identically to London iii, so I imagine that the rumors are true

Thanks for the feedback.
I'd also be interested in using it for an English IPA.
I found a recipe that calls for London Ale 1028 so if using Verdant I might have to keep the temperature in check for that style though as fruity is not really desired.
I could of course sub with the WLP007 I have but it seems like I'm using that yeast for every English style beer at the moment :cool:

Thanks for the feedback.
I'd also be interested in using it for an English IPA.
I found a recipe that calls for London Ale 1028 so if using Verdant I might have to keep the temperature in check for that style though as fruity is not really desired.
I could of course sub with the WLP007 I have but it seems like I'm using that yeast for every English style beer at the moment :cool:

I think either would do well in that style but honestly I'd go with the 007 also 🍻

Just got some info from the DHL branch that my parcel with malt from the UK is still sitting at their storage, together with boxes, sent as far back as January. So as this one won't make it to me till the weekend (I wonder if the Imperial yeast pub will still be valid after that one month DHL storage time....), I will test the verdant not in a bitter, but in an AK instead.

I think this will be good!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Just got some info from the DHL branch that my parcel with malt from the UK is still sitting at their storage, together with boxes, sent as far back as January. So as this one won't make it to me till the weekend (I wonder if the Imperial yeast pub will still be valid after that one month DHL storage time....), I will test the verdant not in a bitter, but in an AK instead.

I think this will be good!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Just make a starter and you should be fine

First time I used this yeast, great result. 9 Days in fermenter no diacetyl notes. 13L. batch NEIPA (galaxy/motueka/wakatu), awesome peach/citrus notes.
I thought standard New England yeast was discontinued here, in Europe. Anyone sees the difference?
Verdant IPA is 1000% just an isolate of London Ale III. This is confirmed by the brewery themselves in a video with Lallemand.

New England is 1000% an isolate of Conan, I have had that on good authority from numerous breweries in the UK who have trialled it in place of Conan on the advice of Lallemand, though I don't think it has been publicly confirmed.

Verdant IPA is 1000% just an isolate of London Ale III. This is confirmed by the brewery themselves in a video with Lallemand.

New England is 1000% an isolate of Conan, I have had that on good authority from numerous breweries in the UK who have trialled it in place of Conan on the advice of Lallemand, though I don't think it has been publicly confirmed.

Any idea if those breweries have reported the NE to perform just like Conan? Keep wanting to try it but feedback is way more mixed compared to Verdant. I love Conan for, if nothing else, the improved attenuation and reasonable Krausen compared to London iii

Well...I am pretty sure they said they started with a London Ale III strain and this is based off their house strain that, after many generations, has some unique characters. I am not sure that means "1000% just an isolate".

I just ordered a pack myself from MoreBeer. The NEIPA I made with 1318 has been my favorite. I have a few strains of yeast I harvest and repitch, but a NEIPA is not the best beer to harvest yeast from. I am hoping to just keep some packs of Verdant dry yeast on hand.

I have a pack of the New England Dry as well. I am hoping to split a batch and try them both.

I have a few strains of yeast I harvest and repitch, but a NEIPA is not the best beer to harvest yeast from. I am hoping to just keep some packs of Verdant dry yeast on hand.

I agree it's not the best style of beer to harvest from. What I normally do for liquid yeast is from the first pitch onwards I make a bigger than needed starter and keep some of that. For the next batch then make another big starter from this and keep doing that. So the yeast is very clean has never touched any hopped wort. Also it's a mix of all the different characters of the yeast. If you keep harvesting by top cropping then you are just selecting the yeast that tend to be at the top or the other way around if you take some from the bottom. For the Verdant I will top crop for the first generation as I wont be making a starter but after that then I will do what I do for the liquid yeast, if that makes sense :)

Back