Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sundy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We found Marble Desert Fog at our local Walmart. Marble Brewery I think it would be classified as a NEIPA. Since we are at the end of supply lines here in the RGV we don't get a great selection of craft brew. My wife and I absolutely love Desert Fog. It is so fruity and fresh, I plan on trying to make something similar. I know hops are probably the primary flavor but what yeast would enhance the grapefruit and orange flavors?

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Another Verdant data point. Brewed an ipa on Friday. Most everything that could go wrong, did. Anyway, transferred 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort into a 7.9 gal. Speidel fermenter(with blowoff attached to keg to purge). Grabbed my O2 and stone...tank empty. Ah well, forge ahead. Pitched one 11g pack at maybe 58-60°F. Only a Cool Brewing fermentation bag to "control" temps. Absolutely nothing for 18 hours, sitting at 61°F. Slipped a warming pad underneath and left for the day. When I returned it was up to 64.5°F but still nothing happening. Luckily I unplugged the pad before going to bed. Woke up this morning and blowoff tube was absolutely filled and temperature was 72°F, 10 degrees warmer than house temp. Krausen overtook the ~1.75 gallons of headspace like it wasn't even there. Added a couple of 1.5 liter frozen water bottles to the bag to keep temps from rising any further, or hopefully to even drop a couple degrees.
I'll update in a few days.

Gusso

Reaction score
Brewing right now. This will be my first time using Verdant.

thehaze

Reaction score
Has anyone tried underpitching this yeast? Trying it for the first time today.
I have a non dry hopped Golden Ale in the fermenter, which has an OG of 1.060 and I only pitched 1 sachet of Verdant. I mashed high at 70C/158F in order to get a 4%-ish kind of beer and retain some body. 23.5 liters went into the fermenter. I pitched yeast at 5 PM. First activity was noticed after 4 hours, and after 12 hours the airlock was dancing up and down like crazy. So fermentation started as usually. I cannot comment on the final taste, but no sulphur / rotten eggs smell was produced during fermentation, which could indicate that the yeast wasn't too stressed or it just does not produce it.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried underpitching this yeast? Trying it for the first time today.
As I mentioned above I pitched a single pack into 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort ten days ago. I was worried a bit that I should have pitched 2 packs, but all I had on hand was one. However it seems to be fine. It fermented down to 1.013, (6.8%), with no perceptible off-flavors. Hopped with Citra and Idaho7. Sample tasted of apricot and peach. Will dry hop with the same hops, in a day or two. Funny, I've brewed this same recipe but used a mix of US-05 and Nottingham and they taste like completely different beers.

duncan_disorderly

Reaction score
As I mentioned above I pitched a single pack into 6.25 gallons of 1.063 wort ten days ago. I was worried a bit that I should have pitched 2 packs, but all I had on hand was one. However it seems to be fine. It fermented down to 1.013, (6.8%), with no perceptible off-flavors. Hopped with Citra and Idaho7. Sample tasted of apricot and peach. Will dry hop with the same hops, in a day or two. Funny, I've brewed this same recipe but used a mix of US-05 and Nottingham and they taste like completely different beers.
Verdant imparts a lot of flavour in my experience. Peachy apricot...

It's a great yeast but sometimes it will dominate where you don't want it to.