Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my verdant best bitter that has 7% torrified wheat in it. Dropped very clear. Currently have another batch of it bubbling away in the fermenter behind me now :)

5FDB9A08-8C2F-4FB6-8110-03855C2F9617.jpeg

A week into trying a spitfire clone with this yeast. Like some others have commented I still have a good inch of great looking krausen floating around on it. Definitely the longest I have had one stick around for. Started bringing the temp up a bit today for a diacetyl rest and plan to keg it on Wednesday. Can't wait to see how it tastes
When I used Wy1332 Northwest Ale yeast that one develops a krausen that lasts quite a while too. If I recall, that one was also cultured from an English strain. Maybe some similarities?

This was my verdant best bitter that has 7% torrified wheat in it. Dropped very clear. Currently have another batch of it bubbling away in the fermenter behind me now :)
Looks like a good one. Can you share the recipe?

Looks like a good one. Can you share the recipe?
55% maris otter
21% pale ale
13% crystal 70
7% torrified wheat
4% amber
aim for around 4.2% abv with grain bill.
mash for 90 minutes @ 152
60 minute boil
20ibu target at 60 min
4ibu challenger at 15 min
1ibu ekg at 5 min.
ferment around 68f with verdant. Enjoy! The batch I'm currently fermenting I aim to spice up a bit with a dry hop of bramling cross If I can punch the hops through that mountain of krausen :)

55% maris otter
21% pale ale
13% crystal 70
7% torrified wheat
4% amber
aim for around 4.2% abv with grain bill.
mash for 90 minutes @ 152
60 minute boil
20ibu target at 60 min
4ibu challenger at 15 min
1ibu ekg at 5 min.
ferment around 68f with verdant. Enjoy! The batch I'm currently fermenting I aim to spice up a bit with a dry hop of bramling cross If I can punch the hops through that mountain of krausen :)
Looks delicious.

How many generations have you gone with this yeast and any changes in flavor?

I'll be trying this yeast (rehydrated) tomorrow. Have two packs right over two years old. They've been stored in the fridge for mostly the entire time. I was going to use Imperial Barbarian from the freezer stash but it appears to be shot. I reached out to a local brewery/LHBS and asked their experiences with Verdant. They said "OHHHH that's a good one! Ferment between 68F and 72F. We just used that on a NEIPA and it sold really well!" I built this NEIPA using percentages and such from Cade Jobe on a Brulosophy podcast awhile back. I have some old Mosaic in the freezer so that's why I'm using that first wort. The rest of the Mosaic was ordered 2 weeks ago. The hop combos/schedules were pulled from this site

https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf
Anywho here's the recipe I'm working with

Title: Wedding Hazy IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty IPA: New England IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.38%
IBU (tinseth): 59.66
SRM (morey): 3.96
Mash pH: 5.89

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (30%)
4 lb - BEST Heidelberg (30%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (15%)
2 lb - Flaked Wheat (15%)
1.33 lb - Carapils Malt (10%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 12.09
1 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 9.89
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.77
1 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.53
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.6
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 5.79
1 oz - Sabro, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4.28 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Lallemand - Verdant IPA

I'll be trying this yeast (rehydrated) tomorrow. Have two packs right over two years old. They've been stored in the fridge for mostly the entire time. I was going to use Imperial Barbarian from the freezer stash but it appears to be shot. I reached out to a local brewery/LHBS and asked their experiences with Verdant. They said "OHHHH that's a good one! Ferment between 68F and 72F. We just used that on a NEIPA and it sold really well!" I built this NEIPA using percentages and such from Cade Jobe on a Brulosophy podcast awhile back. I have some old Mosaic in the freezer so that's why I'm using that first wort. The rest of the Mosaic was ordered 2 weeks ago. The hop combos/schedules were pulled from this site

https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf

STATS:

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Flaked Oats (15%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.53
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.6
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 5.79

MASH GUIDELINES:

YEAST:
Lallemand - Verdant IPA
It'll be interesting to see if your beer stays hazy. Mine did not. Wasn't brilliantly clear by any means, but it was not what I call hazy for a neipa after about a week in the keg. No finings, just whirlfloc in the boil

It'll be interesting to see if your beer stays hazy. Mine did not. Wasn't brilliantly clear by any means, but it was not what I call hazy for a neipa after about a week in the keg. No finings, just whirlfloc in the boil
I almost exclusively use Verdant in my NEIPAs and they stay hazy for as long as they last in the keg (typically 4-8 weeks).

STATS:

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Flaked Oats (15%)

HOPS:

MASH GUIDELINES:

YEAST:
Lallemand - Verdant IPA
Verdant Brewing recommends fermenting a bit more on the cooler side for this yeast. I typically ferment Verdant around 64° and then ramp to 72° when I'm about 5 points away from terminal. Phenomenal results every time

Mine stayed hazy. I thought the yeast compared well to London Ale III which is my usual yeast for this recipe.

This picture is 4 weeks in the keg
20220515_153240.jpg

I almost exclusively use Verdant in my NEIPAs and they stay hazy for as long as they last in the keg (typically 4-8 weeks).

Mine stayed hazy. I thought the yeast compared well to London Ale III which is my usual yeast for this recipe.

This picture is 4 weeks in the keg
View attachment 773657
Seems like you both had a great experience with it. I didn't change anything with my grain or hops, and the only time I used Verdant the beer cleared up within a week in the keg. Bummer...I like the ease of dry yeast.

Verdant Brewing recommends fermenting a bit more on the cooler side for this yeast. I typically ferment Verdant around 64° and then ramp to 72° when I'm about 5 points away from terminal. Phenomenal results every time
64 it is! Thanks for the heads up!

So I split the difference and am fermenting at 66f. The nose on this neipa is awesome! Going to go against the grain here and not use biotransformation hops. Only because there will be 9oz of hops in the batch after dry Hop already. This needs to be carbd and ready in the keg at the end of the month. Will be dry hopping in the bucket fermenter with 3 oz hops in a paint strainer bag weighted down with sanitized marbles. Going to let that sit 5 days then rack this into a keg with campden to keep down the oxidation. Really curious to see/taste the final product!

So I split the difference and am fermenting at 66f. The nose on this neipa is awesome! Going to go against the grain here and not use biotransformation hops. Only because there will be 9oz of hops in the batch after dry Hop already. This needs to be carbd and ready in the keg at the end of the month. Will be dry hopping in the bucket fermenter with 3 oz hops in a paint strainer bag weighted down with sanitized marbles. Going to let that sit 5 days then rack this into a keg with campden to keep down the oxidation. Really curious to see/taste the final product!
If you did a decent whirlpool hop addition you will get plenty biotransformation anyway - according to the Verdant guys.

I used Mosaic, Galaxy, and Idaho 7. Are those good hops for biotransformation?
I assume so.

There was a session at this year's Homebrew Con specifically about biotransformation and they talked about which hops actually lead to biotransformation. You can get access to the presentations on the AHA website if you buy a membership.

I assume so.

There was a session at this year's Homebrew Con specifically about biotransformation and they talked about which hops actually lead to biotransformation. You can get access to the presentations on the AHA website if you buy a membership.
I have a membership. Do you happen to have the link?

Says this yeast has a 12% alcohol tolerance. I wonder how it would be in a barleywine
I've had it above 10% and still got 80% attenuation, but not up into the 12s. Fermented out pretty fast with a nice apricot note.

It's an extremely violent fermenter. I've got a batch of Simcoe Vienna SMaSH in the fermenter that's been there for maybe 18 hours and already has three inches plus of Krausen and the airlock going like a steam train, despite it being a not insignificant underpitch (1 packet for 23L 1.068 OG wort)

Last edited:
So I was given 2 sachets of this yeast and noticed they were rock hard. is this normal? I brewed my go to NEIPA recipe (19% flaked adjuncts) that I usually ferment with wlp066 London fog. Mashed at 154F and yielded 5.25 gallons @ 1.065. With that said I have read previous posts and seems to be a mix bagged for attenuation which makes me think I should use the pitch rate as suggested by Llalemand's pitch rate calculator (14 grams). I havent pitched the yeast yet as it was super hot here today so I am waiting for my wort to come back down to 65F before pitching tomorrow. I am just unsure of what to think about the hardened sachets I received and unsure if they are fine once I open them but I am sitting here second guessing myself and maybe I run to my LHBS and get another yeast strain to use?

Also I plan to add first round of dry hops at high krausen. I do closed system transfers but do not ferment under pressure and with this being a beast of a top fermenting yeast does it make sense to add my bio trans hops into a fine mesh bag and weighing them down to get down into the beer during active fermentation?

So I was given 2 sachets of this yeast and noticed they were rock hard. is this normal? I brewed my go to NEIPA recipe (19% flaked adjuncts) that I usually ferment with wlp066 London fog. Mashed at 154F and yielded 5.25 gallons @ 1.065. With that said I have read previous posts and seems to be a mix bagged for attenuation which makes me think I should use the pitch rate as suggested by Llalemand's pitch rate calculator (14 grams). I havent pitched the yeast yet as it was super hot here today so I am waiting for my wort to come back down to 65F before pitching tomorrow. I am just unsure of what to think about the hardened sachets I received and unsure if they are fine once I open them but I am sitting here second guessing myself and maybe I run to my LHBS and get another yeast strain to use?

Also I plan to add first round of dry hops at high krausen. I do closed system transfers but do not ferment under pressure and with this being a beast of a top fermenting yeast does it make sense to add my bio trans hops into a fine mesh bag and weighing them down to get down into the beer during active fermentation?
They are vacuum sealed and hard like all lallemand yeasts

To not scare all the "normal" beer folks away, let me assure you all that verdant drops perfectly clear after two to three weeks in a "normal" wort that is intended to result in clear beer.
I confirm that. Crystal clear beers after a month in secondary and a month of bottle-conditioning. I brew only English historical recipes with it though, no idea on how it behaves in intentionally muddy concoctions.
Didn't like this yeast too much. I have made 4 beers with it till now and I feel it's a bit more tart than I'd prefer. Not as tart as S-04 but it's the same kind of tartness. IDK, 4 batches is not enough for a final verdict, so will try the yeast several more times changing different variables.

Any suggestions on pitch rate? My SG is 1.065 where I mashed at 154F and had 19% flaked adjuncts in my grain bill (remaining was briess brewers and godeln promise). At first i was leaning towards just pitching 1 sachet but with the higher mash temp was thinking maybe following Llalemand website which suggests 14g based on my gravity, volume and fermentation temp

Any suggestions on pitch rate? My SG is 1.065 where I mashed at 154F and had 19% flaked adjuncts in my grain bill (remaining was briess brewers and godeln promise). At first i was leaning towards just pitching 1 sachet but with the higher mash temp was thinking maybe following Llalemand website which suggests 14g based on my gravity, volume and fermentation temp
I'd recommend checking this out

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en...orner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/
Edit: I see you've gone there already. In that case I'd err on the side of caution and go with both packs

I confirm that. Crystal clear beers after a month in secondary and a month of bottle-conditioning. I brew only English historical recipes with it though, no idea on how it behaves in intentionally muddy concoctions.
Didn't like this yeast too much. I have made 4 beers with it till now and I feel it's a bit more tart than I'd prefer. Not as tart as S-04 but it's the same kind of tartness. IDK, 4 batches is not enough for a final verdict, so will try the yeast several more times changing different variables.
Really? I never had tartness with this yeast. I've brewed quite some bitters with it. My favourite is Nottingham and verdant 50/50 in the mix, this controls the excessive fruitiness a bit.

Really? I never had tartness with this yeast.
That's what confuses me a bit. I've never seen reports of tartness with Verdant, still I get slightly tart beers with every batch. That's why I'm still not sure whether it's the yeast or my process. Will try again.
Also I get very little fruitiness from it.

I've only used Verdant a couple times but each time when brewing an ipa with a more tropical fruit forward flavor. I'm really not sure how much of that flavor is due to the particular hops used or the yeast. Or, possibly its the Verdant yeast allowing the hop flavors to shine through more so than other yeasts I've used.

The IPA batches I've made with this yeast have had a sweet tropical fruit flavor that i haven't got with e.g. US05.

STATS:

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Flaked Oats (15%)

HOPS:

MASH GUIDELINES:

YEAST:
Lallemand - Verdant IPA
Pulled a sample of this over the weekend and holy geez! The aroma is insane and the beer itself is extremely tropical! Now for mouthfeel...It doesn't have that thick/slick mouthfeel but it's really good! This will be served at a wedding on Saturday and I'm just going to go with...Tropical IPA. Either way this is by far the best Hazy/Juicy IPA recipe I've brewed yet! So much so it may end up going on a regular rotation. Will try and take a proper picture this weekend of the finished product. Anywho will say I'm extremely impressed with this yeast!

Back