How long is your brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZapperMike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I was wondering how long your average brew day is for all grain? I have been upgrading my system over my home brewing obsession and have been running around 6 hours from start to finish with everything washed up and back in its place. I run an electric system with a RIMS and kettle run by CraftBeerPi right at my bar.

Attachments

• IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7692.jpeg
    IMG_7692.jpeg
  • IMG_7693.jpeg
    IMG_7693.jpeg
I would say about the same time I am a little hampered by the lack of hot water in my brewhouse but it works fine. I use an all in one and have to say that I normally have my grain weighed and crushed the night before. Cleaning is a chore because I have no sinks in the brewhouse so the boiler and grain basket have to be hosed down outside no biggie though. last brew started at 7 am and finished at about 11.30 then a quick scrub up. I do a 90 min mash and boil .

On a good day with zero eff-ups I can get a 10 gallon batch done in 7 hours.
I tried to go through a session and add up all the activities - but I can't seem to account for a good 90 minutes.
This says I should be done in 5.5 hours 🤔
I listed parallel activities in the Notes column - things that get done while the Action is happening.
I guess there's 90 minutes of "slop" in my brew days...

brew_time.jpg

It's a mystery 😁

Cheers!

Last edited:
I figure a little under 4 hours, doing ~5-gal batches eBIAB on a system from brewhardware.com. Weigh out and mill the grains while the water is heating, which works out just about right time-wise (a 5.5KW heating element makes quick work of ~8 gal of water). I do usually leave the spent grain to drain overnight and then dispose of it the next day.

5 hours from filling the kettle with strike water and start heating it, through weighing and milling grain, until pitching the yeast. That's for 5 (or 6) gallon batches, and does not include cleanup.

Since I usually brew 2 (sometimes 3) 5-gallon batches back to back (with an hour or 2 nap in between, now), cleanup is only once. But yeah, cleaning takes about an hour.

Here's an example of one of my (in)famous brewnights, with timings of various sub-processes. 5 hours on the dot (before cleanup):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/3-day-ipa.674733/
10 gallon batches would only take 1-2 hours longer, due to extra time needed for heating and chilling, everything else remains pretty much the same. But, I don't brew those very often anymore, unless I split them before adding late or whirlpool hops, which can save some time.

The past year I've been splitting 6-gallon batches in half for more variation, such as different hops and/or yeasts. ;)

I do stove top small BIAB, 2.5-3G. It takes about 5 hours from filling the kettle to putting the fermenter in the chamber and that includes cleanup which I do during the initial cooling period. From there it may take another 2-3 hours to get the wort down to the temp I want (lagers might be 3-4) and then pitching the yeast, but I don't do anything during this time except check the temp on occasion.

4 lazy hours. However I prep the night before and finish cleanup the night after (1st pass rinse on brew day). I'm electric which saves me about about 45 min over propane. I also have a dedicated brew area which saved a ton of effort. I have a few improvements that would buy me more time but 4 hours is very comfortable so I'll likely only reduce effort so I can be lazier.....

I tried to go through a session and add up all the activities - but I can't seem to account for a good 90 minutes.
I listed parallel activities in the Notes column - things that get done while the Action is happening.

View attachment 822317

It's a mystery 😁

Cheers!
It looks good on paper. Good notes!

I guess we’re for the most part around the 5-6 hour mark. It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good brew day but shaving some time out of it for enjoying some pints in the sun would be nice! For my brew system I think the only thing I could do better would be chilling after the boil. I’m using a copper coil right now but I think I might try a plate chiller to speed it up. Does anyone have any advice at what to look for? Number of plates, size, how long it takes to cool down a 5 gal batch, experience with them and so on?

5 hours from filling the kettle with strike water and start heating it, through weighing and milling grain, until pitching the yeast. That's for 5 (or 6) gallon batches, and does not include cleanup.

Since I usually brew 2 (sometimes 3) 5-gallon batches back to back (with an hour or 2 nap in between, now), cleanup is only once. But yeah, cleaning takes about an hour.

Here's an example of one of my (in)famous brewnights, with timings of various sub-processes. 5 hours on the dot (before cleanup):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/3-day-ipa.674733/
10 gallon batches would only take 1-2 hours longer, due to extra time needed for heating and chilling, everything else remains pretty much the same. But, I don't brew those very often anymore, unless I split them before adding late or whirlpool hops, which can save some time.

The past year I've been splitting 6-gallon batches in half for more variation, such as different hops and/or yeasts. ;)
Wow that was a quick 3 day IPA!

I would agree with the 4-7 hour assessment if i add all the prep work yeast starter and stuff it is a day all to itself of course usually slow cooking something on the grill also. I use three propane burners in keggles. the main issue with time on brew day is set up and tear down. gathering the equipment etc. a dedicated brew place would be nice. If I had a dedicated spot and ease of cleaning would cut the time down considerably. Did a double batch last spring i think it was a 6-8 hour deal, but definitely was over the limit at the end.

I have a Duda Diesel 30 plate 12" long PC (B3-23A-30) that I used for years with my 56°F well water for all kinds of brews.
Then came the NEIPA and massive post-boil whirlpooled hop loads.
Waaaay too much vegetation in the post-boil kettle to deal with a plate chiller successfully without massive cleaning headaches.

My PC still hangs on my brew rig but for the last 5 years I've almost always used my 50' 1/2"D SS IC...

Cheers!

6 and 8-9hr depending on size. I have done a 5 gallon batch in 10 years. I just brewed my first 20g BIAB batch. Took me about 7 hrs. I’ll probably try it again sometimes. I’m so used to my NG HERMS and fly sparge, I like it more. I’ll probably stay with the 9hr brew day.

I am usually in the 6 to 7 hour range. To be honest, once the beer is in the fermenter and in the closet I slow down and just do what needs to be done while enjoying the fruits of my earlier labors. Actually the enjoyment starts way before the end of the brew session, so I am sure I could be faster, but most of the time I have nothing else to do and have planned the full day for the process. If I finish early then it is a leisurely rest in the back yard with a beer and the dog by my side. LOL Rock On!!!!!!

With my brewzilla I do about an 0.5-1 hour prep the day before. I can set my water to be at strike temp when I wake up, from there it's about 3 to 4 hours until everything is cleaned and put away.

On average, without rushing or doing anything extra, I'm at 4 hours. Can trim it to about 3.5 if I hustle and multitask well. I also do a lot of prep the day or 2 before though: yeast starter, measure my brewing salts, mill the grains, and calibrate the pH meter (as necessary).

I'd say an average of 5 hrs, but all depends. If doing a standard ale with 60 min. mash and 60 min. boil I naturally wrap up earlier than a step-mashed lager and 90 min boil.

biab about 5-6 hours with clean up and no prep the day before

ive shortened it down to 4 hrs with 30 min extract boils

when i brew can kits (prehopped no boil ) i cut it down to 1- 2 hours.

ive been looking a lot at dr hans shake n brew 20 min brew days but i dont ferment in the keg so i would have to modify this.

im switching over to prehopped no boil kits for the next year or so due to time constraints

kinda hard for me to say since mine is broken into 3 phases...

1. Set up the night before. Kettle & BIAB set up, add water, grain measured & milled. 1-2 hours (take my time).

2. Morning mash in. Kettle element on, dump grain in, stir, recirc pump on, go to work. 5 minutes (sh*t, shower, shave).

3. Return from work. Mash out, boil, chill, strain/filter clean wort to keg with yeast, place in ferm chamber. 5+ hours (trub free wort takes time to achieve, there is no substitute)

A stitch over 4 hours for BIAB. It may be more if I go out to eat or run errands during the mash. I too have a dedicated brew room, so there's really no set-up. Measure and mill the grains while strike water is heating. One hour boil. Chilled in 30 - 40 minutes. Wash/rinse kettle. Done.

1 hour if doing extract. I'll do the extract on the stove, but I almost never do anything more than 30 minute boils which really shaves off the time. If I steep grain, it steeps while it's heating - no timing it. Dump in a fermenter of ice water, pitch yeast, dunzo.

Both 5-gallon. About to venture into 10-gallon batches, so we'll see what that does to timing.

I have a Duda Diesel 30 plate 12" long PC (B3-23A-30) that I used for years with my 56°F well water for all kinds of brews.
Then came the NEIPA and massive post-boil whirlpooled hop loads.
Waaaay too much vegetation in the post-boil kettle to deal with a plate chiller successfully without massive cleaning headaches.

My PC still hangs on my brew rig but for the last 5 years I've almost always used my 50' 1/2"D SS IC...

Cheers!
Love plate chillers as they use a very significant less water. But yeah pellet hops are bad and will plug easily. I use a hop spider and whole hops are nice. Not in the IPA craze so no crazy amounts of hops for me.

Hi guys , you blokes blow my mind . I do 80 litre batches with a 90 minute boil , 90 minute mash , 60 minute fly sparge 60 minute trub filtration . It’s a 10 hour day including cleaning but not including milling . With big batches like 80 litres , huge amounts of time are also used up getting the water to mash in temperature and getting wort to boil . I would take 5 hours any day but that’s a pipe dream with my system .
Cheers and beers

Hi guys , you blokes blow my mind . I do 80 litre batches with a 90 minute boil , 90 minute mash , 60 minute fly sparge 60 minute trub filtration . It’s a 10 hour day including cleaning but not including milling . With big batches like 80 litres , huge amounts of time are also used up getting the water to mash in temperature and getting wort to boil . I would take 5 hours any day but that’s a pipe dream with my system .
Cheers and beers
i should have clarified in my post i recirculate mash and batch sparge for 10 gallon batches. then run the rest of my sparge water to get some 1.025/1.03 runnings for the next yeast starter. I did not see where the efficiency with fly sparging out weighed batch sparging with my results.

We run all grain about 3.5 hours on a typical 5-gallon batch: start the gas to heat the strike water and set up the rest while it's heating up. 30 minute mash in a bag, then pull the bag out, let it drip a bit, light the gas again to get up to a boil while we sparge in a ZapPap, pour in the second runnings and let bag drip while we do a 30 minute boil with the first hop addition. During the boil we set up our other hop additions, finings, yeast nutrient and sanitize the fermenter, chiller, and strainer bag. Wort chiller goes in with 15 minutes left and already hooked up to the hoses (in/out). We pour in what's dripped since, and put away and clean what we can. At flame out we cut the gas, turn on the hose and stir so it cools in about 10-15 minutes. Pour into fermenter through paint strainer bag, pitch yeast, snap lid, insert bubbler and put bucket in the ferm freezer taping the probe to the side. If I have help, I'm cleaning as I go, otherwise, I clean after. Use the brew table as a draining rack, and throw the bags in the washing machine on rinse/spin. Usually put away what's left the next morning when they are dry.​

Swapping to 30 minute mash save us 1/2 hour, 30 minute boil saves us 1/2 hour, and no vourlaf/lauter saves 1/2 hour of vourlaf and lauter cutting an hour and a half off the brew day. Swapping to gas camp stove over using kitchen stove saves 1/2 hour in heating time. Setting up while strike water is heating up saves some time as well. Sometimes it feels like it takes more time to put everything away than it did to brew.​

It makes me smile to hear of a 3 hour brew day. I just did a Barley Wine that had a 3 hour boil. Plus a re-iterated mash at 90 minutes each, plus two sparges. I'm over 7 hours with just that. Add in prepping, milling, heating water to mash temp, whirlpool, chilling and transferring into fermenter, oxygenating and pitching yeast, cleaning up. That big beer is a 12 hour day.

View attachment 822317

It's a mystery 😁

Cheers!
Could be your sparge and runoff rates as you are using theoretical rates. I've noticed that when I fly sparge at a valve just cracked rate and actually watch the time it is much longer than I thought. Also just 15 minutes for cleaning? Do you CIP, 15 minutes seems short for cleaning?

I move pretty efficiently through to the boil but post boil I tend to lollygag. I heat up some water to CIP and then I let that pump through the system for about 30 minutes and don't often switch to cleaning right away. I often go eat a meal or take a break, have a beer. I've been trying to keep better notes on time but marking the time doesn't always get recorded as I am focusing on other measuements.

Back