Mash Hopping - How Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I was planning a brew day for this weekend, but started thinking I'd try to squeeze it in on Thursday instead. I have to work Thursday, but thought if I started the mash on my lunch break, I could finish brewing when I get off. However, I was planning to mash hop for this one, and wasn't sure if leaving it for 3-4 hours with the hops in the mash would have a negative impact or not. Is that too long for a mash hop? I'm not worried about mashing that long, but I've never mash hopped for longer than my normal mash time. Anyone know if this would be a problem?

Thanks,
Joe

fwiw, Beersmith3 does the calculation for mash hops vs time.
I have never "mash hopped" so I played with the recipe tool and compared results to boil kettle hops.
Using an ounce of Chinook at 12% AA as a reference, 60 minutes in the boil provides just under 24 IBUs, while 240 minutes provides 25.4 IBUs.
In contrast, 60 minutes in the mash (at 152°F) provides just 4.7 IBUs, while 240 minutes provides 5.4 IBUs.

Clearly isomerization temperature matters...the same reason we get away with protracted whirlpooling at 170°F or below for the character without much bittering...

Cheers!

[edit] Corrected "IBUs" to "%AA" for the Chinook hops - and the 240 minutes mash hop IBUs from 25.4 down to 5.4.
Sloppy work, sorry 'bout that. My only excuse was posting so late :)

Last edited:
fwiw, Beersmith3 does the calculation for mash hops vs time.
I have never "mash hopped" so I played with the recipe tool and compared results to boil kettle hops.
Using an ounce of Chinook at 12 IBUs as a reference, 60 minutes in the boil provides just under 24 IBUs, while 240 minutes provides 25.4 IBUs.
In contrast, 60 minutes in the mash (at 152°F) provides just 4.7 IBUs, while 240 minutes provides 25.4 IBUs.

Clearly isomerization temperature matters...the same reason we get away with protracted whirlpooling at 170°F or below for the character without much bittering...

Cheers!
Thanks for the input. I might have to finally break down and get beersmith. Out of the recipe builders i tried only two let me select mash hopping, and niether account for time. As soon as you select mash hopping as the method, it grays out the time slot. I might try to get off early just in case. Thanks for the help.

Had a play with adding mash hops in brewfather and changing the mash duration. It did not account for longer mash, stayed with same ibu for all time values. Beersmith looks a better software option for mash hop calculation.

Back