Wilser BIAB vs The Brew Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squeezing got my kettle efficiency up to like 88% on the last brew. Ended up hitting 1.094 when all I wanted was 1.077. Hahaha. I probably won't be squeezing that hard next time

Finally got around to using the Wilser bag I won a while back predicting a Superbowl outcome. 👍👍
IMG_20211030_102823.jpg

I'll chime in on this. For full transparency, I sell Wilser bags at BrewHardware.com so there is a possibility of bias regardless of how much I don't intend it.

The primary reason I'm not selling The Brew Bag is where it's manufactured. When I had conversations with the owner, and found that the wholesale price to me was going to be substantially higher than Wilser, I was shocked to find that they were sewn in China. So, what we have here is a rare case where the product made in the U.S. is cheaper.

To be quite clear, my profit on both products would have been the same. I figure it's win-win to support a local craftsman while offering the lower price to the customer.

I personally use the Wilser bag for all my own brewing and I'm on batch number 41 with the same bag.

Last edited:
I went back and forth on the Wilser vs Brew Bag for my Foundry and ultimately ended up with the Wilser bag.

I did, (and still do) have some concerns about how either bag will hold up from me taking out and pushing back in the d* perforated disc I use for recirc but the Wilser is a champ so far 10+ brews in.

All of mine are Wilser bags. I don't doubt that the Brew Bags are good, but I like supporting someone who's a member and sponsor here. I've had some of the Wilser bags for 6 or 7 years and they are still in top shape. They'll probably be passed along in my estate after I'm gone.

Get the Grand Slam: BIAB, dry hop bag, boil hops bag, and pulley. Everything you need.

So I have both. Started with a Brew Bag and it was fine. Just made a dedicated brew space and order the “Grand Slam” from Wilser for the pulley and hop socks but also to try out the different bag. Having brewed with it twice now, Wilser Bag hands down.

For those who have, how accurate do we need to be with measurements? For example, I know my pots bottom diameter is a bit smaller than top diameter. Should I try to give both? Do I need to measure how much distance is between the top rim and the handles?
Contact them and ask what they need for measurements. I’ve bought bags from both The Brew Bag and Wilser and have exchanged info via email regarding measurements required.

I can weigh in as a Brew Bag user -- I'm on my fourth batch using the bag in my 44-quart kettle and so far it shows no wear.

The straps I find useful in lifting the bag out of the kettle, and I don't find any penalty in the lifting phase using the loops versus a tie cord since my lifting frame is an 8' Little Giant ladder. I tend to hang the bag over the pot after mashing for about 5 minutes, until the stream slows to a trickle, then I put on my gloves and twist/squeeze to get as much additional wort out of it as I can.

Cleanup involves slipping a plastic bag over the Brew Bag while it's hanging, then reaching in and under, grabbing the Brew Bag at the bottom where the straps cross, turning the Brew Bag upside down and dumping the spent grain into the plastic bag. A shake and a rinse, and all the grain is gone. The bag dries in about an hour.

All this positive press on the Wilser design has piqued my interest in comparing the two, so when it comes time to replace the BB, I'll likely get the equivalent size Wilsner and check it out.

The primary reason I'm not selling The Brew Bag is where it's manufactured. When I had conversations with the owner, and found that the wholesale price to me was going to be substantially higher than Wilser, I was shocked to find that they were sewn in China. So, what we have here is a rare case where the product made in the U.S. is cheaper.
Just to note that my bag is labeled "Made in the Philippines."

Last edited:
I have the 10.5 Anvil kettle with a Brew Bag that fits the basket and have used that about 5-6 times now. It works well and shows no sign of wear. I had just set that perforated disk on top of the basket as to not cut a hole in it. The bag sucks to clean with grain getting stuck in the webbing straps sewed into it, that's been my only gripe. I'm building a new BIAB setup with a Spike 15gal kettle and a Blichmann BoilCoil. I decided to try one of Mike's Wilser bags this time. So far, it fits the kettle perfect and feels pretty dang sturdy. I tossed 40lbs of weights in it just for shits and giggles after seeing him do that, and it held with no issue. Half the price, made here, and supporting a US business.. I think I'm won over. Plus no webbing straps to dig grain out of.

Cleanup involves slipping a plastic bag over the Brew Bag while it's hanging, then reaching in and under, grabbing the Brew Bag at the bottom where the straps cross, turning the Brew Bag upside down and dumping the spent grain into the plastic bag. A shake and a rinse, and all the grain is gone. The bag dries in about an hour.
I used the same method for cleaning the Brew Bag until, earlier this year, I left the bag in the plastic trash bag until the next day. I picked up the bag, tied it shut, and took it, with the rest of our accumulated trash, to the community dumpster. It wasn’t until my next brew day, when the Brew Bag wasn’t hanging on the snap tie in our basement utility room, that I realized that I had thrown it away with the spent grains. Doh.

So, I ordered a Wilser bag to fit my 10 gallon Igloo cooler in July. I’ve brewed 7 batches with it so far, and if I accidentally throw it out, too (a possibility, given my age and the genes I’ve inherited), I’ll immediately order another one. :cool:
Edit: It fits my cooler in the other months, too. Syntax matters. :D

The bag sucks to clean with grain getting stuck in the webbing straps sewed into it, that's been my only gripe.... Plus no webbing straps to dig grain out of.
I made that mistake -- once. Now I always make sure the straps are on the outside of the bag.

I haven't heard any reports of blowouts on either bag. But like I said, I'm willing to try the Wilser bag when this one gives up the geist.

I can’t comment about the brew bag, but my Wilser bag is in great shape after several years of use and spent grains don’t stick to it so it’s easy to clean. After I dump the grains I give it a good shake outside and there is no risk of clogging my sink drain with grain Or hulls.

The material of the Brew Bag that I bought a year ago is really different than the original one I had and also the Wilser bag. It is very stiff and appears that it will be very durable. It seems to me that the stiffness of the material could affect efficiency because you can't wrap the material tight when squeezing but I can't swear to this One thing I've figured out it that it is very easy to clean. Spray it down with a hose and all the spent grain is gone.

I'm still using a $5.00 piece of voile from Home Depot in my brew in a basket. Works terrific. No stuck sparges. Easy to wash. Spay with the hose and hang it on a tree. I'm sure that either bag works great. but. I can't beat the economy of the voile.

So is The Brew Bag.

Are you sure about that?

I'll chime in on this. For full transparency, I sell Wilser bags at BrewHardware.com so there is a possibility of bias regardless of how much I don't intend it.

To be quite clear, my profit on both products would have been the same. I figure it's win-win to support a local craftsman while offering the lower price to the customer.

I personally use the Wilser bag for all my own brewing and I'm on batch number 41 with the same bag.
Brew on :mug:

I assumed mine was US made simply because I emailed back and forth with them regarding measurements to fit my Mash&Boil, trying to get one that extended to fit around the outside of the kettle to prevent grains from falling between the malt pipe and the kettle. I was asked to send measurements and I sent pictures as well. The speed in receiving the bag makes it hard to believe it was made in China. Disappointingly, the bag still does NOT fit the outside of the M&B kettle. I think the stiffness of The Brew Bag makes it problematic. I ended up with a Wilser that fits beautifully. Obviously, I’m unhappy about the amount of money spent on two.

I assumed mine was US made simply because I emailed back and forth with them regarding measurements to fit my Mash&Boil, trying to get one that extended to fit around the outside of the kettle to prevent grains from falling between the malt pipe and the kettle. I was asked to send measurements and I sent pictures as well. The speed in receiving the bag makes it hard to believe it was made in China. Disappointingly, the bag still does NOT fit the outside of the M&B kettle. I think the stiffness of The Brew Bag makes it problematic. I ended up with a Wilser that fits beautifully. Obviously, I’m unhappy about the amount of money spent on two.

It might be that they asked for measurements to get you an off-the-shelf bag that closely fits. Unfortunately, sounds like it wasn't close enough for your kettle.

anyone ever try using a chipper/shredder bag for BIAB? (just curious, i got a chipper recently and i was eyeing the bag it came with....lol)

@MaxStout - Agreed - disappointing. I went to them because prior to my M&B, I used a The Brew Bag in my 10G mashtun cooler. Worked great.

Sounds like that chipper/shredder might come in handy if you ever want to brew a beer from an oak tree...

i was trying to think up a comedic response, about people aging imperial stouts on oak chips...

I can hear the acorns in his dryer already

but then got to thinking about mesquite pod brew? no oak here, but LOTS of mesquite. and the pods are quite sweet... be interesting to brew with....

and for the record, i was thinking like this...they make them out of really tuff material..from the looks..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2726334394...rentrq:250399fa17d0a77d17fb74dcfffa0230|iid:1

I have both the Brew In A Bag and a Wilser bag.

I really like the convenience of the Brew In a Bag and the four straps and the loops. Makes it easy to gather up the straps put them on snap hook and raise up the bag.

A Wilser bag has the two ends of the rope that draws and cinches the bag close. Does anybody know if a reliable knot that I can use to close up the bag and tie it onto a snap hook close to the bag end of the rope.

I have both the Brew In A Bag and a Wilser bag.

I really like the convenience of the Brew In a Bag and the four straps and the loops. Makes it easy to gather up the straps put them on snap hook and raise up the bag.

A Wilser bag has the two ends of the rope that draws and cinches the bag close. Does anybody know if a reliable knot that I can use to close up the bag and tie it onto a snap hook close to the bag end of the rope.

For the Wilser bag, use the little loop of cord that came with it, then make one of these knots (quotes from another thread):

All good answers above. I prefer hitches that are easier to tie and release. Still serious hitches used by climbers, rope rescue, etc.

Tie a short loop or use the loop Wilser usually provides. Use that loop to tie a Prusik (Sunday) hitch or better yet a klemheist.

What he said. Lift it until the bag is under a little tension, then choke up on it with another short snotter down low. Push it down close to the grain ball. Best way is to take a piece of 1/4 double braid or similar, and make a Constrictor Knot, AKA Miller's Knot, around the bag. Don't use the Double version and take care that you do not tie a simple clove hitch, which is not secure enough. Snap the two bitter ends tightly to tighten this knot up good, and it will not slip on you. Tie the two bitter ends into very short Bowlines. Hook your hook into both bowlines and lift.

Alternately you could lay up a short grommet in 3 strand rope, or tie two ends of a short piece of line together with a square knot, and Lark's Head AKA Cow Hitch this loop around the bag and hook the hook into the leftover bight. You have to cinch it up good and tight or it will slip, but once it is jammed up good it should be secure enough. Don't sue me if it isn't, please.

I have used my beloved wilser bag for close to 60 batches now and I am still on my first one. Stained brown with evidence of all the brewing adventures we've been through together, it might look a bit tattered but has no holes at all and is still running strong. Full disclosure, I have recently purchased a second wilser bag just incase the first one fails, but honestly, I was more fearful that @wilserbrewer might retire or otherwise stop selling these excellent bags, and I didn't want to be left high and dry. I can admit that I have gawked a time or two at the lift straps on some other brands, but the engineer inside me recognizes that the straps will concentrate the load onto a narrow strip of mesh and be much more prone to localized shear failure than the equally distributed strength of a wilser bag. A total steal at even twice the price (hint, hint!) you just can't do better than an original wilser bag, period.

I just finished my very first BIAB batch using my new Wilserbrewer bag, and could not be happier. I left the burner on very low under the kettle during half of the mash time, and no melty or burny spots. The pulley system I got with my bags worked great, and a quick squeeze using one of the racks from my oven (well cleaned) netted me a LOT more wort than I've ever gotten with my 3-vessel system, with no sparge!

I've been using MIAB for 4 years now and have gone through four bags; the first one I got from a friend that is super sturdy, but has a few snaggy holes now. Bought two 24x26 bags from different LHBS and both failed. Last one I bought from LHBS was a BrewinaBag knockoff with the straps; after first use the voile started pulling/running away from one of the straps, rendering it useless unless I patched it. The wilser bag is incredibly sturdy, and the shape lends well to draining the bag. This bag also pushed me to trying BIAB for the first time, and it was an eminent success.

I own both. I am on my 175th batch. I started with two consecutive Brew Bags thru 174 batches. I brewed batch one in the Wilser yesterday. I recirculate thru the entire mash then pump to a boil kettle. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever with a full volume Hochkurz step mash 9 lb grain bill in a 10 gal Infussion Mash Tun. After one brewday I can honestly say I like the Wilser better because it was so much easier to clean. Wilser does not have straps and seams that cannot be cleaned.

Last edited:
Back