Height Needed for BIAB Hoist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmezz

Reaction score
IMG_0162.jpeg

Hey guys, i've finally had it with my Spike Solo 20G mash basket. Had a disaster of a brew session and WAY undershot gravity. Had to crush too coarse to keep grain out of the boil. So, it's time to go with a BIAB. The issue is that I can't permanently install a hoist in the ceiling. I need a portable setup. My system height is 3.5 feet at the top of the kettle. My step ladder has a height of 7.7 feet. If I hoist the bag from the top of the ladder, Is that enough height differential to fit the bag and hoist above the kettle? In other words, how much height above the kettle is necessary to fit a bag and hoist after mashing? Cheers.

Abraham Lincoln was reportedly asked how long a dog's legs should be, and replied, "Long enough to reach the ground." Seems to me that required "height above the kettle" is high enough to clear the wort.

btw, maybe a hoist could hang from a (permanent) hook but still be easily removable.

Abraham Lincoln was reportedly asked how long a dog's legs should be, and replied, "Long enough to reach the ground." Seems to me that required "height above the kettle" is high enough to clear the wort.

btw, maybe a hoist could hang from a (permanent) hook but still be easily removable.
OK, bad to say, but I was thinking the same thing. Long enough to clear the wort and kettle. LOL.

All good and fine if you know the dimensions of the bag and hoist. I do not- haven't bought them yet... hence the question on the discussion forum.

View attachment 845581
Hey guys, i've finally had it with my Spike Solo 20G mash basket. Had a disaster of a brew session and WAY undershot gravity. Had to crush too coarse to keep grain out of the boil. So, it's time to go with a BIAB. The issue is that I can't permanently install a hoist in the ceiling. I need a portable setup. My system height is 3.5 feet at the top of the kettle. My step ladder has a height of 7.7 feet. If I hoist the bag from the top of the ladder, Is that enough height differential to fit the bag and hoist above the kettle? In other words, how much height above the kettle is necessary to fit a bag and hoist after mashing? Cheers.
Before I installed an eye hook into a stud in my garage ceiling, I used to put a ladder over the kettle and hoist the bag out with a pulley. It was a regular sized ladder, maybe 8ft?

Back