Wilser BIAB vs The Brew Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the brew bag that I purchased around a year ago made for the foundry 10.5. I had an earlier version of the brew bag and the material for the newer version is much different than the old model. The new bag is made of a heavy fabric that is a little on the stiff side and appears to be pretty indestructible. As far as ease of cleaning, I find the new bag cleans with spray from a hose and it much easier to clean than the older model. I have experienced good efficiency with this bag and would recommend it. It does not have handles but has 4 loops that work well with the hook on a pulley.

I put a Wilser bag on my Christmas list. I have been using my Brew Bag for about 70 batches, it was just getting very stained and the kids needed some inexpensive items to get me. I will say I really like how the Wilser bag fits my pot. However, the lack of the lifting straps means you need a lot of space above the bag to lift it up and let it drain. Like 2 feet more than the Brew Bag. Did not see that one coming. The little lock on the rope holds the bag nicely in the pot while mashing in but you can’t lift by it. Have to lift from the knot at the end of the rope.

One can tie a knot into the drawstring on a Wilserbag to shorten it for lifting. Wilser also includes a small loop of cord to put a prusik knot on the bag itself just above the grain bed.

With what comes in the package as purchased, a Wilserbag can be lifted higher than a Brew Bag.

Hmm, looking in the box I didn’t get that. They did include a couple hop socks.

I put a Wilser bag on my Christmas list. I have been using my Brew Bag for about 70 batches, it was just getting very stained and the kids needed some inexpensive items to get me. I will say I really like how the Wilser bag fits my pot. However, the lack of the lifting straps means you need a lot of space above the bag to lift it up and let it drain. Like 2 feet more than the Brew Bag. Did not see that one coming. The little lock on the rope holds the bag nicely in the pot while mashing in but you can’t lift by it. Have to lift from the knot at the end of the rope.
A thread from the man himself with tips: BIAB Hoisting w/ a Ratchet Pulley

I do not recall getting a cord with my bag either (purchased last year). I got one custom sized for my 16 gallon kettle and one sized for my 5 gallon kettle (along with a few hop sacks).

Over 5 years, two brews a month on average. It is very brown and has a small hole in it due to my negligence. Will buy another Wilser if and when the time comes.

Last edited:
I have been using a Wilser bag for the last three years with no issues.
Mine also came with a small loop of rope that wraps around the bag just below the drawstring, it works great for lifting those heavy 5-gallon mashes.

Schwarzbier_Lift.jpg

A little late to the party but just wanted to give my 2 cents on the Brew Bag. For me, and I do not have experience with the Wilser, the Brew Bag does a great job of keeping the spent grains out of my wort. The straps are actually helpful as well because when you attach them to a pulley system, they pull the bag straight up as opposed to a lopsided pull if you only had one attach point. As far as durability, I have only used about 8 times so far, but it does not show any signs of deterioration and clean up is pretty easy.

Really, I don't have any negative feedback for the Brew Bag other than maybe price. This was mitigated for me by buying during a black friday special that also threw in a hop sock.

If I decide to get another bag for a backup, I will likely get a Wilser for comparison purposes.....
I’m in the same boat. Never used a Wilsner bag, bug love my Brew Bag and love the handles for attaching to pulley to lift it out.

Back