Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeutschMann96

Reaction score
Long story short I ordered yeast (WLP029) from Homebrew Supply, and FedEx took the scenic route to get here. After 5 days I got my yeast. The cold pack, and vial were very warm. But I decided to give it a shot anyway. Made a starter, pitched it in, here we are three, and a half days later, virtually no activity. The air lock will bubble every 10 seconds or so but there is no krausen or little bits of yeast rising to the top. I took a hydrometer reading last night, the specific gravity has not budged. I tasted some of it, and so far no sign of off flavors. It’s extremely silky, and smooth going down. Like mead. Time to repitch?

When you say no activity, do you mean in the starter or in the actual beer? If you're talking about the starter, then yeah, it's probably time to move on. If you mean your beer, then I assume that your starter fermented and then there is something else going on that the yeast aren't working.

I pitched the yeast in the starter, left it for the 36 hrs, then pitched it into my cooled wort. There was no activity in the starter but people had said that they usually get no krausen in their starters so I went with it. Now the airlock on my primary fermenter bubbles, but no change in specific gravity.

Yeah it sounds dead. Depending on where you live, I'm sure the inside of that FedEx truck got pretty hot. If I were you, I'd just repitch.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The temperature was at 58°F these past few days. After I raised it to 62°F over night I ended up with this, this morning. Has fermentation finally started or is this wild yeast... *second picture is blurry but those white patches aren’t mold, they look like little groups of spit bubbles.*

I tasted a sample from the carboy in the second picture. No bad flavors or after tastes. Tatstes like beer.

Latest posts

Back