"Odd" Fermentation Gravity Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langerz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a recent NEIPA and its been in the fermenter almost a week. I use Tilts with all my fermentations and the results of this latest one look a little odd. I thought I'd check in with the forum to get thoughts. I have brewed this basic recipe several times with good results. There were a couple of differences with this one I'll mention.

First I used Cellar Science Hazy for the first time. Typically I use Lalbrew Verdant or NE (or a combo) which I typically rehydrate. The packaging on the Cellar Science said no need to aerate or rehydrate. I had already aerated the wort when I read that (side question to this topic is it really ok to not aerate?) but didn't rehydrate - just sprinkled on top dry.

Second I added some maltodextrin to the recipe. I typically blow past my FG goal with my NEIPAs and would like them to have a little more body so tried some malto this batch.

Third somewhat related to #2. I upgraded my brewing setup and was able to control mash temp at 154-155 much better than in the past. Previously I was BIAB in my garage so temp was a little varied and usually trended lower than as the mash continued. Hindsight both 2 and 3 would effect FG and I maybe should have just changed one variable at a time, but did both.

Fourth I did use fermentation to purge the keg this is eventually going into. I seriously doubt this had any effect but it is a difference. The tank was purged by the next day and I took it out of the loop and just put the blow off tube into a a star san bucket.

I attached pictures of the latest and a more typical profile from a previous brew. Note I have not dry hopped yet, only boil and whirlpool hops. My process is to let fermentation complete, soft crash and then dry hop. The first rise in temp is natural and then I typically elevate with a ferm wrap. The temperature looks pretty jagged but I think that is more related to sampling time for that data. The gravity profile is what I'm more interested in. When it first started leveling out around 1.040 I was pretty nervous things were going to get stuck but it's still chugging a long. It's just a very weird linear decline vs all other fermentations I've tracked with a tilt. I'm not really worried. It looks like it will get there eventually, but just curious thoughts from others.

One potential theory is I did have one other brew with weird tilt data (that one was all over the place - gravity increased and decreased significantly at times) and turned out there was a big glob of krausen stuck on the end of the tilt. I could see that being the case here with it gradually falling off leading to the slow decline after high krausen. I'm in a stainless steel conical so don't have visibility to see the sensor. If that is the case fermentation may be complete and then I'm curious thoughts on how long to let this go. I know some responses will be to take samples with a standard hydrometer, but I'm pretty crazy about avoiding potential O2 in my NEIPAs and while I could do that with a bit of CO2 pressure to reduce O2 I'd rather avoid opening anything up.

Attachments

• IMG_8038.jpg
    IMG_8038.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 0
The scale of the the two graphs and where they put temp the temperature range compared to SG range is different.

The spikes in temperature you mention only look like spikes because of the scaling of it's x and y axis. But most of those spikes are on 3° degrees or less. So not a worry.

I really missed any real question you may have ask. So I'm just winging the response.

Other than when I use dry yeast, which is always, I don't aerate or rehydrate. I just direct pitch it to the wort.

The scale of the the two graphs and where they put temp the temperature range compared to SG range is different.

The spikes in temperature you mention only look like spikes because of the scaling of it's x and y axis. But most of those spikes are on 3° degrees or less. So not a worry.

I really missed any real question you may have ask. So I'm just winging the response.

Other than when I use dry yeast, which is always, I don't aerate or rehydrate. I just direct pitch it to the wort.
Sorry that was a wordy response - the question is not around temperature. It's the SG. Typically the gravity follows a smooth line something like an exponential decay (actually probably is that), but in this case it followed the normal pattern until around 1.040 and then became very linear and slow after that. I've never seen that behavior before and was curious if others had and if there might be reasoning.

Might just put it down to the difference of how that yeast is compared to the others and how well they change from working on one sugar type vs the other sugar types. Do you have access to the data of both and can let it replot both of them from the timepoint where the new batch hit about 1.040 SG and the older batch from where it hit 1.032 SG and each for 5 days?

By getting a snapshot from those points and for that amount of time, the scaling differences between the two won't look so bad. I think with only one exception, the plot will look similar as far as the line goes.

Maltodextrin probably accounts for some of the difference in actual SG attained at different times in the graphs.

Last edited:
What's going on with the OG and FG lines? Are you not showing us the entire thing to the end of the graph? Or does your app let you set the predicted values of those?

What's going on with the OG and FG lines? Are you not showing us the entire thing to the end of the graph? Or does your app let you set the predicted values of those?
The OG is what I enter from a hydrometer reading. The FG is predicted based on recipe. The tilt has always been higher on every batch. There is a means to calibrate it but I never have since I’m not really interested in the exact measurement while in the FV but just using it to see when fermentation is done.

I did get a second tilt recently and that one seems to be more accurate.

Like I said I could cal but not really important for how I use them

Yeah, my raptPill seems to be a couple points off from the real hydrometer's reading for both OG and FG. I too just keep that adjustment in my head. Though it seems it is a simple thing to calibrate it.

I suspected that might be part of what was going on with the graphs. Just needed to ask and be certain.

Back