Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avid Artifex

Reaction score
Hello, I have been homebrewing kombucha for a couple of months now, and I use beer bottles and bottle caps to bottle my kombucha. I used to flavor each bottle and pour the kombucha into the bottles and do my F2 in the bottles (like you normally do), but I wanted to have nothing else but smooth kombucha in the bottles that are ready to crack open.

Because of this, I bought a stainless steel fermenter that I flavor and do my F2 phase in (I pour the kombucha from my SCOBY jars directly into the fermentor and throw all of my flavorings and sweeteners into the fermentor. I was using a bubble airlock, but that seemed to release the carbonation, so my ending product was not carbonated, SAD! :(

So now, I am looking for a pressure valve that I can attach to my fermenter that keeps the PSI and carbonation at a constant level and ready to serve. I would assume what I am looking for is a similar item as a spunding valve, but I am not sure. Also, my fermentor has a 3/4 hole (no screwing) to attach this valve to.

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out, I have been searching for information and it really does not look like many people do this. Thanks for the help! Brew on!

Your stainless fermenter should have a pressure rating if you wanna carb in it. If its not rated for pressure you’re gonna have big problems.

It definitely can withstand pressure, I am looking for a way to keep my kombucha carbonated so that it does not exceed 25 psi while it is in there though.

Yes. Spunding valve. Alternatively you could add a second prv set to 25.

With a 3/4 hole you should be able to put a CO2 poppet valve from a corny keg(would need a nut and 2 silicone washers), then just attach a spunding valve set to whatever you want.

....if you've set your PRV @ 25psi......and assuming you're not going to transfer to your bottles at pressure. Do you plan to release the pressure (of course the brew will retain partial CO2) and then rebottle at 1ATM. Intriguing? Of course if your 2nd stage fermenter is at room temp when you off gas....could be lots of froth and bubbles!

Back