De-carbonating for bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The APA batch that was partially pressurized turned out fine.

That is until I forgot to put the probe back in the ferm chamber I was using for bottle conditioning, and it got up to 110 degrees ruining all but 7 bottles that weren't in there at the time. Totally spoiled. I've had beer just like this before though, Hales Ales at costco often will have a can or two slip through like that, not much carb, tastes like cardboard.

Spike didn't want to do a refund or an RMA at the moment since I got the PRV to work better by using yellow tape, so as I didn't have enough time this week for a brew day, I threw a bunch of random stuff in the tank as a test.

5 gallons Tree Top
.75 gallons Ocean Spray
1 gallon dole pineapple juice
3 lb dextrose
4 tsp whole leaf oolong tea in a mesh bag
1 sachet Red Star Premier Classique

The second day it got up to 15 PSI, so it seems like the PRV and tank are finally both working. I then raised the temp from 68 to 80 F to try and speed it up. Plan is then to cold crash for 3 weeks. Totally weird doing hot fermentation and basically lagering a wine but this is more of an equipment test for the german pils I'm going to attempt next.

Back