Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internn

Reaction score
Hi. Just now my big batch of kombucha has finished and I was about to pour it in bottles for the second fermentation when I noticed that the bottom of my scoby is very strange. I tried to search for pictures online to see whether it counts as moldy or not, but I did not find a clear answer. Could you please help me to understand if it is still safe to drink this batch of kombucha?
I added pictures of it. I threw out this scoby just in case that is why it is on the table, however, I am still interested to know if I can still use the fermented kombucha that is waiting to be poured in bottles. Thank you so much for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_152213.jpg
    IMG_20221224_152213.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your response, @hottpeper13.

I did throw this kombucha batch out, but it would still be helpful to know what I did wrong in order to avoid such a state of scoby again. If anyone knows from the look of this scoby, please let me know.

My scobys are tan,smooth and about 1/2-3/4" thick. 2 things help and the first is a temp of 76*- 80* in the crock and that will lead to #2 ,a fast drop in pH to activate the acids that will excrete the scoby. Don't skimp on the sugar and think it will make a lower calorie drink ,it just won't have enough food for all the acids to ferment.

Back