Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What online tool/recipe sites do you pay for?

• Brewer's Friend

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Brew Toad

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Beer Smith

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I've been lurking on HBT for a while as I've been learning about brewing.

Thanks to these forums and the guys at my local shop Brewhouse Provisions (http://www.brewhouseprovisions.com), I've done ten 5-gallon batches so far. Including Strong Belgian Ales, Porters, IPAs (shocker, I know) and even a Gluten-Free beer for a friend who is GF. Mostly extracts, but I did an all-grain as well.

What's the best advise so far?
Go straight to kegging! I did that and haven't looked back.
I've learned what most of you already know:
It's easy to brew a good drinkable beer, but it's really tough to brew the same beer consistently!​

In that vein, I'm working on dialing-in my simple extract rig (10g boiler, pump and counter-flow chiller), before I start shifting to all-grains.
extract 2.0.jpg

I've scavenged most of my gear on Craig's List, but actually bought a pump and Exchilerator Counterflow Chiller (https://www.exchilerator.com/product/maxx-counterflow-wort-chiller). I'm really liking the Exchilerator. Taking 5g of boiling wort to pitching temp in 5 minutes is awesome!!!

I'm adding a DIY whirlpool arm and pickup tube as suggested here on HBT. I'm hoping to cut my kettle & trub loss down while having cleaner wort into the fermentor. More on that in the forums...

I've tried several sites & tools to track & calculate my brewing and I'm having a hard time deciding between the these: Brewer's friend, Brew Toad & Beer Smith. Use the poll or drop me a comment with your opinion.

Cheers!
Odin

Welcome aboard Smokey!
I think you'll find dedicated adherents to various calculators, it's a popular topic. I used Brewer's Friend for several years and like it. Now I mostly modify recipes I've already brewed or find new ones here on HBT or in BYO magazine. Good luck, keep us posted, and brew on!

Hi from Seattle!

I’ve been using Brewer’s Friend but have recently started using Brewfather. It’s a web based app which can be accessed anywhere there’s internet. I has great calculators plus an auto complete water calculator (once you input your parameters). It also works with my Bluetooth tilt hydrometer so I can see gravity and temperature change in real time.

Let us know how your whirlpool arm works out.

Cheers!

Hey @PeteSeattle, I checked out the BrewFather site. Pretty nice and comparable to Brewer's Friend.

A couple of quick observations:
1) in an extract recipe, I found no way to control the time and temp for steeping grains in BrewFather, just %.
2) the brew day sheets on BrewFather weren't as nice as Brewer's Friend.

Thx for the tip. I'll play with it a bit more before decide where to put my $.

/Smokey

Hey @PeteSeattle, I checked out the BrewFather site. Pretty nice and comparable to Brewer's Friend.

A couple of quick observations:
1) in an extract recipe, I found no way to control the time and temp for steeping grains in BrewFather, just %.
2) the brew day sheets on BrewFather weren't as nice as Brewer's Friend.

Thx for the tip. I'll play with it a bit more before decide where to put my $.

/Smokey
Good observation. I can’t speak for the extract experience since I’m all grain. Things such as this submitted as a bug or support item will most likely be addressed shortly.

As for design I just got used to it. I am starting to like the minimalist look of it. Anyhow, glad you’re getting to try out several before you commit.

here's my latest project: adding a DIY whirlpool arm and pickup tube to my brew kettle. Of course it leaves a nice cone in the middle but it also dropped my kettle loss to about 2 cups vs. 3 quarts before.

I'll post the specifics separately in a DIY forum.

20181011_151217.jpg

Attachments

• 20181011_152031.jpg
    20181011_152031.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
here's my latest project: adding a DIY whirlpool arm and pickup tube to my brew kettle. Of course it leaves a nice cone in the middle but it also dropped my kettle loss to about 2 cups vs. 3 quarts before.

I'll post the specifics separately in a DIY forum.

View attachment 592342
Hey, that’s a pretty cool solution.

Back