What BIAB brewing actually is (Mythbusting for traditionalists)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Orval

Reaction score
I've been looking for a beer wench. Haven't found the right one just yet.
Gotta find a woman be good to me
Won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

still looking for?

winch (hoist)
winch.png
@Beermeister32

Herr Braumeister:" Wow... I’m sure you have a very nice winch! "
Vous faites les malins, je parie que vous maîtrisez plusieurs langues, parfais bilingue anglais/américain?
Moi je parle couramment français, ma langue maternelle, English, Deutsch, Nederlands et พูดภาษาไทยได้ด้วยครับ LOL

Last edited:

madscientist451

Reaction score
In the end, whatever method works best for you is all that matters.

FWIW, the discussion of wort clarity... whatever method works for you to achieve your desired clarity is all that matters. BIAB can provide just as clear as 3V.

My method is I recirc my BIAB during the mash so it's very clear but still squeeze the bag (after hanging and draining for a couple hours there is still a good pint or more inside). Also, after boil everything goes thru a 100-200 mircon bucket strainer so regardless if BIAB or 3V, the wort in the fermenter is very clear.
I got into homebrewing right around the time BIAB information was hitting the internet, and I remember asking experienced brewers why they don't use it. Answer: You won't get clear wort! You should learn how to brew the "right way" (heard here on HBT).
So after a decade or so, and starting BIAB, switching to 3 vessel, fly sparge, then batch sparge, and now downsizing to small batch BIAB, I'll go out on a limb and say wort clarity didn't make MY BEER any better. In addition, using a simple BIAB method gives me an opportunity to brew more often, try different beer styles and malt/hop combinations.
Your results may vary, so go ahead and brew any way you desire.
The clear wort/unclear wort issue has been discussed many times here on HBT.
In my experience, the important thing to consider is that there is a difference between cloudy wort and suspended kettle trub.
The research I've seen indicates that kettle trub can have a negative influence on beer flavor, however, does "unclear wort" that doesn't include kettle trub have the same issues? In my experience, unclear wort is OK, it might take a little longer to clear out though.
With small batch brewing, I can let my kettle sit outside in the cold, most of the particles drop to the bottom, and as carefully as I can, I dump the wort into the fermenter leaving most of the glop in the bottom of the kettle behind. The beer settles out after fermenting/conditioning and ends up clear.
If you're brewing a 10 gallon batch and using pumps, or If you don't want to wait for the wort in the kettle to settle by itself, or want to serve the beer as quickly as possible, that process probably isn't going to work for you.
Hobbies are supposed to be fun. I've decided that its fun for me to make brewing beer as simple as possible so I can have time to enjoy other things.
If using 3 vessel or using some other brewing system is what's fun for you, keep the brew going!
:mug:

bwible

I drink, and I know things
Reaction score
No need to scratch your head, what I'm calling a wash is a wash, if you read my posts here above, you may notice that I mention another hobby. The picture shows my fermenter with 70 litres of molasses wash!
By the way I know that Star San is a sanitizer, just not available down here! If you can mention other brands/methods, welcome!
cmac62 said: The concern I have with your plan is oxidation.
This is something I'm not aware of, hence my question about recirculating and the hose...

You seem to be criticizing my winch, none of your business if you don't mind. Small is beautiful? Just a matter of taste.
My target: 22 US gal batches...
Here: to illustrate my other hobby: View attachment 726392
One other note: If you are making 22 gallons of beer to reduce via your other hobby, you would not add any hops.

Orval

Reaction score
One other note: If you are making 22 gallons of beer to reduce via your other hobby, you would not add any hops.
That's the other way round, I started my other hobby making some sugar (vodka-gin) and molasses (Rum) washes, but the intention is also to make some whisky, which is similar to brew beer up to the hops and the ingredients, but not the process. I'm Belgian, so above all a beer drinker, I live now in a country where beer is a bit questionable, or too bad, or too expensive, and so I came naturally to the conclusion, if you want to make all grain whisky, why don't you also make beer? Hitting two birds with one stone... At this stage, I'm buying some parts of equipment and gathering information. I'm ready to start making my own CFC, thanks to LBussy and al. Only one thing is clear, it'll be BIAB.

Latest posts