Brewing some brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny-Rotten

Reaction score
Hi, I used to brew some malt extracts about 25 years ago. I’ve been making wine for the past several years and have done some meads and other mash/ferment related hobbies. I’m about ready to dive back into AG brews. I’ll be researching hardware to see what I can use from my current inventory. I have about 15 carboys, a 10gallon orange bucket cooler mash tun, a couple boilers (13 gallon and 16 gallon) that use a hot water element with power controller, a high temp impeller pump, a whole house filter system, and a vacuum pump I use for transferring wines into carboys. I’ll be checking out wort chillers. May eventually get into kegging and am fine for now with bottle conditioning. Mostly interested at this point in making some german export style beers, Oktoberfest brews (traditional golden not amber), english ales, and maybe a lager or two. One thing at a time though for now. Not really interested in malt extract brews. Probably stick to 5 gallon batches to start with as I read till my eyes bleed and learn.

Is your whole house filter a water softener or a carbon filter? May be helpful to get that profiled or research where your municipality gets its water to know if the source mineral content changes seasonally

It’s just a filter system. I use it with a vacuum pump to filter wine. 1 micron, 5 micron, 10 micron filters depending on what I’m filtering. It’s not hooked up to the house water but you’re right - I should get the tap water profiled. Know of any services for this?

Thx,
Jonny

Back