Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first pale ale with Verdant has been in the keg about 10 days now and isn't clearing up very much. Is this common with the yeast?

Little 4.5% Nectaron/Mosaic beer I made with Verdant that’s been in the keg now for 8 weeks. Still wonderfully aromatic with permanent haze stability. Great yeast for little beers as the added sweetness definitely helps the body. This is by far the best dry yeast for making modern, more fruit forward, hoppy beer.

View attachment 705996

Additional sweetness? what was the FG?

I just kegged mine, the character is good for hazy pales or similar. But I have found that the OG was quite high 1.017 for this one - 1.053 - 1.017 = 4.7%

I had hoped for 1.013/14.
Has anyone had this, the beer had carapils in it (just over 1/4lb), mashed low.

Additional sweetness? what was the FG?

I just kegged mine, the character is good for hazy pales or similar. But I have found that the OG was quite high 1.017 for this one - 1.053 - 1.017 = 4.7%

I had hoped for 1.013/14.
Has anyone had this, the beer had carapils in it (just over 1/4lb), mashed low.

That’s just standard for 1318. It’s just softer and sweeter than most yeasts across comparable gravities.

1/4lb of Carapils shouldn’t have prevented that beer from attenuating. I use 1lb in beers of that size and they generally always get to 1.012/1.013. Something else must be at play.

My first pale ale with Verdant has been in the keg about 10 days now and isn't clearing up very much. Is this common with the yeast?

I did a bitter that has taken a month to clear. I only use copper finings. Initially I thought it would drop quickly, but it took a long time - that was at 12c.

Does this one bring the typical English ale type of esters?

I have only used it once in that bitter, it has made a very nice beer. In fact I'm quite impressed with it for a dry yeast, I usually don't like them for smaller traditional british style beers finding them a bit bland or not to my taste. I only really like something like nottingham for burtons/strong stouts or something like bry97 or us05 for golden ales

It however does have a vanilla aroma which I have not had before from english yeasts, but it did seem to work with the beer. If you are set on dry yeasts for small british beers then I would recommend it over the others available.

verdant IPA bitter, one month in the bottle
kbHtKAM.jpg

I did a bitter that has taken a month to clear. I only use copper finings. Initially I thought it would drop quickly, but it took a long time - that was at 12c.

I have only used it once in that bitter, it has made a very nice beer. In fact I'm quite impressed with it for a dry yeast, I usually don't like them for smaller traditional british style beers finding them a bit bland or not to my taste. I only really like something like nottingham for burtons/strong stouts or something like bry97 or us05 for golden ales

It however does have a vanilla aroma which I have not had before from english yeasts, but it did seem to work with the beer. If you are set on dry yeasts for small british beers then I would recommend it over the others available.

verdant IPA bitter, one month in the bottle
kbHtKAM.jpg
Thanks!

That sounds good to me, I will give it a try. I'm not the biggest fan of vanilla, but let's see how that goes. I like traditional English ales, especially the lower abv. Ones around or below 4%, haven't had much luck with dry yeast for these. Except for s04, it makes really good stouts, for some reason, haven't tried that one in a lighter coloured beer for ages.

Hmm, I have plans to use this yeast in a session (Simcoe/amarillo) IPA and a hoppy (mostly mosaic) blonde ale. I'm a bit concerned about the vanilla taste though? Overworry or should I consider a different brew?

]
Does this one bring the typical English ale type of esters?

Ithink it’s the best uk dry yeast I’ve used by far, and is on par with 1469 West Yorkshire in terms of quality of flavour. The APA is nice, but I will be using it in British styles from now on.

I'm planning to do a 10L batch of Verdant pale , OG around 1.055, no DH. Will a 12L fermenter give me enough headspace? How tall does the krausen tend to be (planning to ferment around 20C/68F)?

That’s just standard for 1318. It’s just softer and sweeter than most yeasts across comparable gravities.

1/4lb of Carapils shouldn’t have prevented that beer from attenuating. I use 1lb in beers of that size and they generally always get to 1.012/1.013. Something else must be at play.

I was wondering the same thing.

I just can't figure out what caused it, if anything. My calculations were all around 1.014 as a maximum, its just unfortunate i guess.
i have a bunch of packs still, so can keep trying.

I was wondering the same thing.

I just can't figure out what caused it, if anything. My calculations were all around 1.014 as a maximum, its just unfortunate i guess.
i have a bunch of packs still, so can keep trying.

Hop creep caused it. You’re adding hops with enzymes into the beer during fermentation. Those enzymes are breaking down sugars making the wort more fermentable.

I agree, but i don't think it's 3 OG points worth of hop creep (1 is normal for me at most).
I’ve had 3-4 points of hop creep before. Usually on IIPA’s. The higher the FG before adding dry hops, the more likely it is to have more hop creep. Had a double that dropped from 1.016 to 1.012.

I’ve had 3-4 points of hop creep before. Usually on IIPA’s. The higher the FG before adding dry hops, the more likely it is to have more hop creep. Had a double that dropped from 1.016 to 1.012.
I mashed at 165 one time and then fermented out the beer. Added dry hops and it kicked off fermentation again. I dropped over 10 points! Hop creep can bring you down really far.

I’m usually getting a full 1 plato worth of creep these days when I dry hop at ferm temps. Has taken up to 7 days to be negative for Diacetyl.

I mashed at 165 one time and then fermented out the beer. Added dry hops and it kicked off fermentation again. I dropped over 10 points! Hop creep can bring you down really far.
I always mash for attenuation anyway, but definitely mash for attenuation in beers that are going to be dry hopped. Otherwise you can end up with restarted fermentations like this.

On another note, I just ordered 4 more packets of Verdant yeast, since I wasn’t able to reuse my harvested slurry. I really liked working with this one.

My last 2 beers with 1 packet of verdant per 5 gallons. One batch 1.063og ended up at 1.013 with 74% attenuation and the other at 1.066og ended up at 1.016 with 70% attenuation
Similar grain bills but one with flaked wheat the other with flaked oats.
I put 3.5% munich 1 in one and 3.5% munich 2 in the less attenuating one.
Not sure why I got a difference in attenuation. I did not get hop creep cause I dry hopped cold.
Only thing I can think of is maybe my mash was a bit off. Or perhaps munich 2 made a difference?

I've brewed a British bitter, a brown ale, and a golden ale with it, some with invert, some all malt. Always mash right around 150 F. So far, the three beers I've fermented with Verdant have all attenuated within decimal points of 73%. I love it; the beers are characterful, have decent clarity and mouthfeel, taste and smell great, and it seems like it is super consistent. Love it!

Is there a consensus on fermentation temps to pull more of the fruity esters for this yeast?

Is there a consensus on fermentation temps to pull more of the fruity esters for this yeast?
in my most recent ipa i used a .3 g/L pitch (rehydrated) fermented at 72°F the entire time. was relatively pleased with it -- perhaps still not as estery as i'd have liked, but a significant improvement over previous ferments within the recommended pitching rate that fermented around 66-68°F

in my most recent ipa i used a .3 g/L pitch (rehydrated) fermented at 72°F the entire time. was relatively pleased with it -- perhaps still not as estery as i'd have liked, but a significant improvement over previous ferments within the recommended pitching rate that fermented around 66-68°F
What attenuation did you get?

What attenuation did you get?
82% - i've consistently gotten attenuation similar to this at regular pitch rates and lower temperatures as well though. doesn't seem to be hop creep either; gravity remains stable post- soft crash and dry hop.

82% - i've consistently gotten attenuation similar to this at regular pitch rates and lower temperatures as well though. doesn't seem to be hop creep either; gravity remains stable post- soft crash and dry hop.
Interesting, I'm getting consistant 73% attenuation with 20% adjuncts. I thought underpitching might effect this. Will give it a try.

Pitched 3 packets rehydrated into 2 5g fermenters. Been 3 weeks now and it's stuck at 1.024 for a week... Fail.

What are you using to measure the SG? I found it to be very vigorous in fermentation and no hint of giving up early.

Also say what your grain bill was, OG etc etc.

If you measure gravity with a Tilt, or something similar, it might be stuck in krausen. I always have to give the fermenter a rouse in the end to make it drop, and to release my Tilt.

What are you using to measure the SG? I found it to be very vigorous in fermentation and no hint of giving up early.

Also say what your grain bill was, OG etc etc.

Simple pale ale, golden promise, a hair of crystal60, carapils. OG 1.056. Measured with a known good working refractometer. Fermented in SS brewbuckets @ 68f-70f throughout the 3 weeks.

If you measure gravity with a Tilt, or something similar, it might be stuck in krausen. I always have to give the fermenter a rouse in the end to make it drop, and to release my Tilt.
Nah, refractometer but I am gonna get a tilt, they look cool and I'm nerdy for that kinda stuff. Also the beer has an insane hot alcohol burn in taste and smell.

Using this yeast this weekend. Do I need to make a starter? Rehydrate? Or pitch right on top of wort? Estimated OG of 1.060-1.065 thanks for replies

Using this yeast this weekend. Do I need to make a starter? Rehydrate? Or pitch right on top of wort? Estimated OG of 1.060-1.065 thanks for replies
I followed the Verdant recipe for Even Sharks Need Water, pitched it directly onto 23 litres of
1.064 wort and finished at 1.013

No nothing detectable, keg is just about to kick. Verdant state that the yeast can over attenuate in its first generation and the recipe, directly from the Brewery, suggested using just the 1 packet.
For my batch I pitched around 19c and took around 12hrs before the Tilt started to show a drop in gravity. I only have the ability to control heating, no cooling, and it rose freely to 22c over the next 24hrs where I kept it for the rest of fermentation.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/blog/verdant-ipa-yeast-home-brewing-competition/
If you've not seen it already more information available in the link about

No nothing detectable, keg is just about to kick. Verdant state that the yeast can over attenuate in its first generation and the recipe, directly from the Brewery, suggested using just the 1 packet.
For my batch I pitched around 19c and took around 12hrs before the Tilt started to show a drop in gravity. I only have the ability to control heating, no cooling, and it rose freely to 22c over the next 24hrs where I kept it for the rest of fermentation.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/blog/verdant-ipa-yeast-home-brewing-competition/
If you've not seen it already more information available in the link about

Awesome. Thanks a lot man

Back