Hops suggestion for pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.N. Brewer

Reaction score
Howdy, I’m new to homebrewing. I’ve brewed 3 different kits but I want to make my own pale ale recipe. I’ve read “The Beer Bible” and “How To Brew” for good background knowledge. I’m concidering using brewer’s gold as the bittering hop, but I’m unsure about what to use for the aroma hop. I want a good bitter in this pale ale, but I would like more citrusy in taste and aroma than spice. Does anyone have any suggestions on hops or have had any luck with brewer’s gold? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 265F70B6-17F5-485D-80C4-EF761E50EEA1.jpeg
    265F70B6-17F5-485D-80C4-EF761E50EEA1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Amarillo is very grapefruity/citrus, and the old standby cascade is known for being citrusy as well. Brewer's Gold is an English hop variety, spicy and not at all citrusy.

Falconer's Flight is a great choice for a Pale Ale if you are looking for some citrusy notes.

All kinds of choices out there. Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Cascade, the list could go on and on. Pick a few and get brewing, see what you like.

I've been using a lot of Mt Hood and Willamette lately, but from what you're describing I'd say plain ol' Cascade. Maybe use Chinook or Nugget for bittering, but Cascade for everything else.

I’ll have to look into those as well. I’ve been reading guides to hops and what they give off. But just like anything else I need hands on Work with them.

I second comet, and also recommend 7C's as a great choice.

I just remembered I have 4oz each of comet and Idaho 7... Woop woop!

With that combo - remember - Comet can be a little evil if used early in the boil (not always a bad thing for sure). This is a pale, so strong bittering will dominate. I found that for a pale, bittering is not necessary. First hop addition at 20 min will easily do the trick. A ton of hop flavor can be achieved without bittering and can help prevent overbalancing the recipe.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Back