What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork belly fried rice and choy
IMG_20200825_183802.jpg

As much as I love this... should probably go in the, "whose smoking meat this weekend" thread? I'm always torn as half the time I post to the wrong thread too.
Didn't realized there is a specific meat smoking thread.

Learn something new every day ;)

Bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed jalapeno poppers - don't think I've made them since we've lived in AZ which is going on 3 years already! SPICY but so good...ice cream later....picture before they hit the oven:
Leave the seeds in two or three of them so people can play Russian roulette.

Leave the seeds in two or three of them so people can play Russian roulette.

It all depends on the jalapeno variety. Ive got one variety that is a solid 4-5 times hotter than any other. Sneak one of them bad boys in there and someone will be in tears if they think a regular jalapeno is hot.

my version of split pea soup....just chicken broth split pea noodles (1/3 vital wheat gluten-2/3 split pea flour, rolled out and cut)...with some pepper, didn't have any curry powder or i would have used it instead....

splitpea soup with class.jpg

Last weekend just slow to post. Gulf blue crab steamed with Old Bay Maryland style
My most memorable meal of all time was the summer of 1984. I flew out to Towson, MD to visit my grandparents for 3 weeks and they took me out for a table full of crab. It was my first time eating whole crabs and was a lot of work, but sooooo worth it!

Dinner: curried clams with pork belly and two too large, thick slices of bread I made...and wine from the bottle.
View attachment 696462
That sounds really good. Was by the ocean last week and they had a ton of clams I bypassed for lobster and oysters.

What's the recipe on that? Just Curry and clams sounds good.

EDIT: I did pick up more Portuguese stuffed clams tho. Does that count? I'm addicted

Last edited:
That sounds really good. Was by the ocean last week and they had a ton of clams I bypassed for lobster and oysters.

What's the recipe on that? Just Curry and clams sounds good.

EDIT: I did pick up more Portuguese stuffed clams tho. Does that count? I'm addicted

Just curry powder, two dried red peppers for heat and that's that. Sometimes I'll dice garlic

Last edited:
Laksa and Singapore style white curries are fantastic with clams and other seafood. Mid to low heat in a coconut based broth.....Just heaven over ramen or noodles. A nice addition to the mix is crab paste in chile oil to season the stock. The good stuff is a tad expensive.

Coconut milk would be nice, too, and it'll probably help with the salt. I love pork belly :)

For pork curry thats easy i use Ottogi Korean curry mix, Coconut milk or powder and a shot of Redboat. I normally dont use pork belly though for curry. If i did i would probably grill it and ladle the curry with veggies over the grilled belly on rice. You can also cook pork belly like beef brisket and use it however you want. A little Chinese bistro near me offers it that way. Very lightly seasoned so its not like red cooked.

Getting good meaty belly/side around here requires a drive to one of our better markets. Selection at the close market is usually too fatty unless you get lucky. So when i get good quality i save it for kimchi jjiggae or hong shao rou. Man, i love Chinese style red braised pork belly. I just lucked out finding a nice half slab at Costco. Cant decide if i want Hong Shao Rou or Japanese style for tonkotsu ramen. Japanese charsui is fairly easy to make but i season mine slightly different.
xDsEZ57.jpg

Last edited:
My most memorable meal of all time was the summer of 1984. I flew out to Towson, MD to visit my grandparents for 3 weeks and they took me out for a table full of crab. It was my first time eating whole crabs and was a lot of work, but sooooo worth it!
I had family in St. Michaels, MD. We'd have bushels of crab anytime we would visit or grab some chicken necks and go down to the dock to pull them out of the water ourselves. I LOVE blue crab and now use the effort it takes to pick it as an excuse to make a mess outside and drink beer. I was ecstatic when I found a place close by to get them live. Gulf crab is close enough to Chesapeake when steamed MD style.

For pork curry thats easy i use Ottogi Korean curry mix, Coconut milk or powder and a shot of Redboat. I normally dont use pork belly though for curry. If i did i would probably grill it and ladle the curry with veggies over the grilled belly on rice. You can also cook pork belly like beef brisket and use it however you want. A little Chinese bistro near me offers it that way. Very lightly seasoned so its not like red cooked.

Getting good meaty belly/side around here requires a drive to one of our better markets. Selection at the close market is usually too fatty unless you get lucky. So when i get good quality i save it for kimchi jjiggae or hong shao rou. Man, i love Chinese style red braised pork belly. I just lucked out finding a nice half slab at Costco. Cant decide if i want Hong Shao Rou or Japanese style for tonkotsu ramen. Japanese charsui is fairly easy to make but i season mine slightly different.
xDsEZ57.jpg
Dude that looks great.

I just lucked out finding a nice half slab at Costco.

Yeah, I usually get my belly from the butcher (low fat), but I bought a good sized chunk from Costco last time I was there, cut it down, vac packed into single(ish) servings.

View attachment 696556
This was 2 weekends ago....so good. Did a pork tenderloin the other day but that is pretty boring. Think I'm only 5 smokes in or so..digging it so far.

Recipe for the taters?

Dinner: curried clams with pork belly and two too large, thick slices of bread I made...and wine from the bottle.
View attachment 696462

We met the winemaker from Cima Collina, nice lady, at a winemaker's dinner we somehow got invited to at the Monterey County Fairgrounds many years back. I told her we were looking for some wine barrels for some projects and she said she'd let us know when they had some. True to her word, she emailed me one October and said they had plenty. We ended up buying 20 of their beautiful oak barrels for $20 each! Took multiple trips to get them all but they were then located in Marina - not sure where they are now. We made multiple rain barrels out of them as well as cut some in half for planters! I always enjoyed her wines. Annette Hoff is her name. Talented for sure!

We met the winemaker from Cima Collina, nice lady, at a winemaker's dinner we somehow got invited to at the Monterey County Fairgrounds many years back. I told her we were looking for some wine barrels for some projects and she said she'd let us know when they had some. True to her word, she emailed me one October and said they had plenty. We ended up buying 20 of their beautiful oak barrels for $20 each! Took multiple trips to get them all but they were then located in Marina - not sure where they are now. We made multiple rain barrels out of them as well as cut some in half for planters! I always enjoyed her wines. Annette Hoff is her name. Talented for sure!

We were members for a while, but they're now closed (for good). We have a few bottles left, but now need to find our new favorite white wine maker.

Latest posts

Back