What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dong po style pork belly. This is more of a blend of a couple styles. Due to the addition of 5 Spice and garlic.

Pork lightly seared skin side down and blanched about 10min. Tiny bit of sugar on the skin side while i re-prep the pan.
oyFRrEy.jpg

Green onions and slices of ginger down first
eGnvU1Y.jpg

Pork on top. Skin side down again. Topped with some raw sugar.
Hts7A8K.jpg

About 1.5cups of braising liquid 50/50 Chinese cooking wine, mirin, light and dark soy sauce. Garlic, 5 Spice, about half of a dried chile pepper and a couple cups of water. If will simmer like this for 90min then the meat gets turned.
D1m130A.jpg

When the meat is tender i let it cool in the liquid. Once cool its removed along with the pieces of ginger/onions. The braising liquid can now be reduced/thickened. Some people like to thicken the sauce and save it for steamed pork belly slices. Authentic Dongpo rou would be finished in a steamer after the simmer in a clay pot.

To achieve the deep red color you would cube the blanch and browned pork and carefully melt some sugar in a little oil. Then add the pork cubes and cover them in the hot melted sugar. Then add your braising liquid. That would be called Hong Shao Rou.
https://thewoksoflife.com/shanghai-style-braised-pork-belly/
e9APMCE.jpg

8AvnBZq.jpg

8xfP0wV.jpg
Just simply amazing. Mouth watering. Just awesome!

Just simply amazing. Mouth watering. Just awesome!

Thanks, it was one of my absolute favorite authentic dishes. Its just really expensive at the better restaurants. So i had to learn to make it. I order it by name when i go and they sort of freakout a little. They usually ask if i can read/speak Mandarin because that is not how its labeled in English. It really blows their mind when i scarf down a hot bowl of Sichuan noodle soup like its nothing. Their expressions are priceless.

The recipe that still alludes me is Hot Braised like you get at Chinese takeout in the USA. Virtually every single place from dives to upper end places offers it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to have a bigger paddle board for my doodle :)
The board I'm on is rated for 450 (maybe 500). Wifes board is only rated to 250 (or 300). Not sure how big your full-size doodles are, but my doodle-mutts are definitely travel-ready. Combined weight is only 23lbs.

The board I'm on is rated for 450 (maybe 500). Wifes board is only rated to 250 (or 300). Not sure how big your full-size doodles are, but my doodle-mutts are definitely travel-ready. Combined weight is only 23lbs.
The doodle in my avatar is 90 lbs, so would probably work on your board :)

Simmering away...

Mole amarillo with chicken, potatoes, and beans.

When people think of mole, they probably think of a dark sauce with tons of ingredients, including chocolate.

But there are many other Oaxacan moles....this one is guajillo chiles, all spice, cumin, mexican cinnamon, mexican oregano, onion, garlic, chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, and masa.

IMG_20200910_184722_860.jpg

Simmering away...

When people think of mole, they probably think of a dark sauce with tons of ingredients, including chocolate.

But there are many other Oaxacan moles....this one is guajillo chiles, all spice, cumin, mexican cinnamon, mexican oregano, onion, garlic, chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, and masa.

View attachment 697897
That's close to the one I make (no cinnamon) and more chill variety, depending on availability.

No exaggeration, I've probably tried mole at over 100 Mexican restaurants and there are 2 restaurants where I will order mole. If I'm unfamiliar or it doesn't say on the menu, I'll ask if they use chocolate.

I grew Chilhuacle (chee wah lee) negro and rojo peppers this year just for Oaxacan based dishes.
When dried, this small to medium-sized, tapered bell shaped, dark chocolate brown pepper with leathery flesh is a key ingredient in the classic mole negro from Oaxaca, Mexico. When ripe, the flesh inside is deep purple. With very thin walls, they dry rather easily.
9Gs0Ofl.jpg

VABr8KY.jpg

The finished powder is delicious.
Cz6rrnU.jpg

Simmering away...

View attachment 697897

Living in Texas you would think I would have access to all the great Mole recipes, but the best place I have ever had Mole was in Salt Lake City at a place named the Red Iguana! They have at least 6 Moles (but I remember them having like 9) and they will bring out a taster plate with a little bit of each to try before you buy :) Just an awesome place. I hope they are doing well.

Living in Texas you would think I would have access to all the great Mole recipes, but the best place I have ever had Mole was in Salt Lake City at a place named the Red Iguana! They have at least 6 Moles (but I remember them having like 9) and they will bring out a taster plate with a little bit of each to try before you buy :) Just an awesome place. I hope they are doing well.

I was inspired by seeing them on Triple D. ;)

I was inspired by seeing them on Triple D. ;)
Oh wow! I did not know they made it on Triple D! How awesome for them!
Sticky, ewwy gooey, but borderline too sweet (lots of pineapple). I was thinking of balling up some (golf ball size or so) and frying them up if they'll hold shape which it seems like they should. Maybe I'll try it later today : )
I’ll stand in line for those fried!!

We don't eat a lot of pasta, because if we did, we'd eat A LOT of pasta, but tonight was bucatini amatriciana. Simple, yet sophisticated. Only a handful of ingredients and quick to prepare, but the bucatini pasta, san marzano tomatoes, and pecorino romano cheese gives this simple dish a deep, bold flavor.

(And yes, that's bacon instead of guanciale or pancetta, whatever...it's my bucatini and can do what I wanna)

IMG_20200914_201541_282.jpg

IMG_20200914_201541_283.jpg

We don't eat a lot of pasta, because if we did, we'd eat A LOT of pasta, but tonight was bucatini amatriciana. Simple, yet sophisticated. Only a handful of ingredients and quick to prepare, but the bucatini pasta, san marzano tomatoes, and pecorino romano cheese gives this simple dish a deep, bold flavor.

(And yes, that's bacon instead of guanciale or pancetta, whatever...it's my bucatini and can do what I wanna)

View attachment 698540
View attachment 698542
Just mouth watering. Thanks for the new craving.

Actually did finish frying shrimp and made poboys last night :) The frying set up using the gas burner on my pellet grill was just phenomenal. That burner gets screaming hot, but also has a full range down to very low. Plus, the grill when not in use makes a nice table and the lid makes a great place to hang the thermometer! Once I got it up to temp, I never had to adjust the burner again till I turned if off, and I did batch after batch of shrimp.
IMG_5153.jpg
IMG_5147.jpg

Done
Jalapeno and bacon scalloped taters. This is actually very mild. Almost all the peppers are on top while it bakes. Its only 2 good sized jalas with seeds removed. Super simple recipe too. Just get 1 box of scalloped and 1 box of au gratin. Half the amount of butter it calls for but add some real cheese. Pour 1 pack of the dried taters in your casserole dish. Top them with half the cheese and half the bacon. Its only a couple tbs of bacon. Repeat with the other pack of dried taters, cheese and bacon. Pour the heated sauce (per directions) over the dried taters. Add some chopped jala on top and bake per directions. Thin sliced onion optional.
yGAerQX.jpg

SUa47dE.jpg

Last edited:
I grew Chilhuacle (chee wah lee) negro and rojo peppers this year just for Oaxacan based dishes.

9Gs0Ofl.jpg

VABr8KY.jpg

The finished powder is delicious.
Cz6rrnU.jpg
Kinda off topic for the thread, but how do you dry them and powder them? Or just a link to the process you use would be appreciated!

Done
Jalapeno and bacon scalloped taters. This is actually very mild. Almost all the peppers are on top while it bakes. Its only 2 good sized jalas with seeds removed. Super simple recipe too. Just get 1 box of scalloped and 1 box of au gratin. Half the amount of butter it calls for but add some real cheese. Pour 1 pack of the dried taters in your casserole dish. Top them with half the cheese and half the bacon. Its only a couple tbs of bacon. Repeat with the other pack of dried taters, cheese and bacon. Pour the heated sauce (per directions) over the dried taters. Add some chopped jala on top and bake per directions. Thin sliced onion optional.
yGAerQX.jpg

SUa47dE.jpg
I love that you are thinking outside the box while thinking inside the box at the same time. Looks really good to me and I will give it a try! I love those boxed taters, and use them a lot for a fast side!

I loved dehydrated potatoes for some reason. Texture is more firm. I use Peruvian dried yellow taters for lots of stuff too. I can get those sorta cheap locally but bulk dried/sliced are a real pain unless i want to get like 20lbs or a prepper bucket full.

Kinda off topic for the thread, but how do you dry them and powder them? Or just a link to the process you use would be appreciated!

I just remove the seed core and dehydrate them. Then pre heat oven to 170F. Put the dried pods in and turn off the heat. The hot oven just helps make sure most mold and stuff are dead.

Fried version of the loaf - turned out good. It could use something to cut the sweetness; however, as I'm trying to avoid dairy at all costs I'm not sure what else that could be.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200915144800833_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200915144800833_COVER.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back