What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15827673831562487242321845941091.jpg

I bought it as an all-grain 3 gal kit and it is surprisingly excellent. It uses lactose sugar and cacao nibs and there is just a hint of chocolate and some coffee in there. Not too sweet. The body is not too heavy and it's not dry and bacony like some stouts. I can only stand one at a time of most stouts like Guinness, but this is very drinkable. I used some Danstar Nottingham dry yeast I had on-hand and it worked out well. I was in a hurry to get that kit out of the way because I was itching to brew the Pliny. I kegged 2.5 gals of it and bottled 4 pints. I have one pint and about a gal in the keg still. I will definitely brew it again.

*note - this kit came with instructions that referenced amounts of lactose sugar and cacao nibs that were less than the amount in the ingredient packets. I tried to get some clarification from NB, but they never really gave me a straight answer about using it all or what. I figured they must be pre-packaged for a 5-gal kit so I measured out the amounts based on the descriptions in the instructions ("use a little more than half the lactose sugar" and "use 3/4 of the included cacao nibs") and it was spot-on. Next time it shouldn't be a problem cause I'll brew 5-gal. I like to do half batches of kits I'm brewing for the first time so I don't get stuck with so much if it's not that great.
How quick did it turn around? And thanks for the reply!

How goes the flying with beers? What do you do to pack it in your suitcase to keep it safe??

One suitcase I wrap the beer in my clothes and ziplock bags. The other suitcase I bring packaging material or buy more bubble wrap and pack it full so nothing can move around. Tonight I bought straps to go around the bags. I’m afraid my old suitcase zippers might let loose so this is added insurance.
So far so good. Southwest allows two free checked bags under 50lbs each. I’ll see if the one makes it this time. I’m really pushing it.

IMG_8969.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

IMG_8971.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Various samples meeting up with a coworker tonight and now back at the hotel packing bag number two and drinking more beers. Fingers crossed they all fit and stay under 50lbs. Should have packed the larger suitcase instead of two small ones. Lesson learned.
Thanks @TheEagleRising for this Hardywood beer. Solid west coast IPA!!

Some Sapporo and Glenlivet 12 and last but surely not least some Girl Scout cookies I’m about to enjoy a triple relaxation session
View attachment 668285

Those papers make it way easy :)

How goes the flying with beers? What do you do to pack it in your suitcase to keep it safe??

One suitcase I wrap the beer in my clothes and ziplock bags. The other suitcase I bring packaging material or buy more bubble wrap and pack it full so nothing can move around. Tonight I bought straps to go around the bags. I’m afraid my old suitcase zippers might let loose so this is added insurance.
So far so good. Southwest allows two free checked bags under 50lbs each. I’ll see if the one makes it this time. I’m really pushing it.

View attachment 668357
View attachment 668358
View attachment 668359
View attachment 668360

Various samples meeting up with a coworker tonight and now back at the hotel packing bag number two and drinking more beers. Fingers crossed they all fit and stay under 50lbs. Should have packed the larger suitcase instead of two small ones. Lesson learned.
Thanks @TheEagleRising for this Hardywood beer. Solid west coast IPA!!

One large suitcase is not the way to go, stupid $$$ when you are over weight. Go for one inside another splitting them on the way back if you're pay for luggage. Beer wrapped in an article of clothing is perfect...i dont then plastic bag them. So far no breaks, and this is with multiple 750s as well as smaller 12oz bottles.

Just watch your weight!!

IMG_8973.JPG

IMG_8974.JPG

@orionol73 & @TwistedGray
Second bag packed. Still room to put in my bag of dirty clothes and my small cooler bag. There is 27 16oz cans in this bag. Should be just under 50lbs. We will find out in about 15 hours.
With that being said I cracked open the last beer given to me by @TheEagleRising last night. I have one more can of beer sitting on ice to drink before bed.
My other bag has 7 bottles that range from 375ml-750ml plus a case (+/-) of 16oz cans all wrapped in bubble wrap. It’s packed tight and has the strap around it too. I’m not worried about the weight on that one but couldn’t fit everything in it I wanted. Thus the reason for enjoying some extra beers tonight.

You in Austin? I'm in Katy once or twice a year
Yep 26yrs almost. Katy is on this side of Houston. Been to Nasa and the planetarium. We stop there on the way out to eat. That's it.. that's all I know. If you ever make it up this way, give me a holler.

Coffee...wife threw her back out so in a cafeteria with 500 6yr olds right now. Need beer....

Latest posts

Back