A38 slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironton Brewing

Reaction score
Hi all, new member!

I found some older similar threads on this, but wanted to start another. I've got a 12G batch of NEIPA in my fermenter and am a bit concerned about the slow fermentation rate.

I pitched Imperial's A38 Juice (aka 1318, London Ale) at OG 1.070. Fermentation started strong, slowed around 1.045 (day 3), and now even slower at 1.033 (day 6). I have two Tilts in the fermenter, and have taken a traditional hydrometer reading and an alcohol-compensated refractometer reading; all agree within +/- a couple gravity points. I started at 68F, bumped to 70F. Roused yeast this morning by shooting CO2 into my carb stone. Sloshed the tank a bit too.

There is still activity from the blow off tube; a good burp every second, and the sight glass at the bottom shows bubbles and no yeast sediment yet. I think there's clearly still an active fermentation, but the gravity is changing so slowly - at only 50% attenuation - that I'm concerned it's going to stall out? What experience do folks have with A38/Wy1318/WLP066 and the fermentation schedule? Suggestions for encouraging the yeast? Am I just being impatient haha??
A38_gravity.png

Other details:
I oxygenated the wort with a carb stone and O2 bottle, but only up to ~10ppm. I later saw on Imperial's site they recommend 20-25ppm, but could this make such a drastic difference?

I made a 4L yeast starter with one pack that was 2 months old. It overflowed my flask and I had a good amount of yeast cake on my desk, but after chilling/decanting there was still a nice layer of yeast on the bottom to pitch.

Intended to mash at 154F, but actually encountered a bit of a stuck mash. Had to stir up the entire grain bed, let it re-settle, and start mash over. The grist saw temps below 150F for a good amount of time, followed by an hour at 152-154F range. Everything seemed fine after this.

Brewed on a Spike 20G bottom drain Trio (HERMS) system with a Spike CF15 conical fermenter.

Brewfather recipe link

Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

• yeast starter overflow.jpg
    yeast starter overflow.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • NEIPA_A38_fermentation_raw_data.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wort_after_mash.jpg
    wort_after_mash.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't think that the small deviations from the recipe will make much difference. I've used London Ale yeast before, but not recently. I wouldn't worry.

Back