Underestimated How Much Extract I’d Need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice_Boken

Reaction score
I underestimated how much malt extract I’d need for a 5 gallon batch. I had a 3.3 lb can of Munton’s light LME and a one pound bag of light DME. I figured I might be low so I added a half cup of sugar but I don’t think it will help much. According to what I’ve looked at online I’m looking at 3.25% abv if I’m lucky. Any way I could boil a gallon of extract and add it to the fermenter and how much extract would I need?

Extract doesn't need to be boiled, you can heat it to 180F or so to sanitize, and dump it in ,
Your hop flavor will be diluted however. You can get around the hopping issue if you use pre-hopped extract.
Use the on line beer recipe calculator on the Brewers Friend website to determine how much you need to add.
You could also simply add more sugar or just keep the beer as it is and start over with the next batch.

Thanks. My batch is a bit hoppier than I was intending so I’m ok with diluting it just a bit. I really should have consulted beer smith before doing this but I’ll look at brewers friend.

Extract doesn't need to be boiled, you can heat it to 180F or so to sanitize, and dump it in ,
Your hop flavor will be diluted however. You can get around the hopping issue if you use pre-hopped extract.
Use the on line beer recipe calculator on the Brewers Friend website to determine how much you need to add.
You could also simply add more sugar or just keep the beer as it is and start over with the next batch.

I like the idea of just leaving the beer as it is. I often make a low OG beer for the taste and the ability to drink one and still be safe operating equipment. Not all beers need lots of alcohol.

Same situation here .... LME + DME.
I have 2 oz cascade hops on hand. could I boil just these in water and then add to wort?

I would add fruit puree to the fermenter it will bump your ABV and you got a wide selection of flavors to choose from to work within your beer and you don't have to do any more work or if the style is appropriate may I suggest you get a little crazy
alex-juice-white_8_x700.jpg

Taste great in Blonds, Belgians and Saison's I used the Sauvignon Blanc and it makes great wine beer

Back