How much water is needed to make your wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats your recipe for the sugar solution?
Usually I'm mixing almost equal amounts by weight of water and sugar.
Yeah - that. In theory you can get almost 2 weights of sucrose into 1 weight of water, but 1:1 is convenient. Growing up on cask beer and generally making golden ales, I don't like my bottles to be too fizzy, so I'm typically adding about 4g/l of white sugar, so 2ml of a 1:1 solution to a 500ml bottle and about 1.7ml for a 330ml bottle (they need a bit more, relatively).
I used galaxy hops during the process but I've got maybe 100 grams each of Willamette and cascade and I'm considering putting a 2 gallon into a 2 carboys and dry hopping to see what it comes out like.

I'd end up with 3 gallons of the original, 1 gallon of dry hopped Willamette and 1 gallon of dry hopped cascade. Do you think it's worth doing?
Willamette and Cascade wouldn't normally be first choices for dry hopping in any case, as dry hopping is all about the volatile aroma compounds that would be driven off by adding at higher temperatures, which those two don't have so much of. And in any case they would likely be swamped by the Galaxy you'd added previously.

So you can do it, but I wouldn't if it was me, just KISS and resist the temptation to fiddle at this stage.

Yeah - that. In theory you can get almost 2 weights of sucrose into 1 weight of water, but 1:1 is convenient. Growing up on cask beer and generally making golden ales, I don't like my bottles to be too fizzy, so I'm typically adding about 4g/l of white sugar, so 2ml of a 1:1 solution to a 500ml bottle and about 1.7ml for a 330ml bottle (they need a bit more, relatively).
What is the density of 1:1 sugar water? I would have guessed it was well below 2g/ml, but I have no point of reference.
Willamette and Cascade wouldn't normally be first choices for dry hopping in any case, as dry hopping is all about the volatile aroma compounds that would be driven off by adding at higher temperatures, which those two don't have so much of.
Cascade is the OG dry hop choice! For a classic AIPA it's can be nice!

I have no clue what galaxy tastes like, though, so no comment on the combo.

Last edited:

Thanks! I was dubious about doing it too!

As for priming, I plan on bottling Thursday evening so will go with something like 80g of table sugar dissolved I'm some water (I've read it's 1 part water to 2 parts sugar so 40ml of water?) pour it into my 20 liters of wort in the bottling bucket, stir it and then bottle. I'll let you know how it goes!

EDIT - Messing around on a priming calc it says I need 91g of table sugar

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-03-23-55-48-78_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-03-23-55-48-78_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So 4g/l of 1:1 sucrose water in 500ml is 3.25ml.

edit: To elaborate, looks like 2ml/l would add ~0.55 vols to whatever was already in the beer. At 68F/20C, result is ~1.4 volumes, which is fine for cask beer. Just wanted to bring it up in case anyone is trying to target a specific volumes CO2.
I don't get your math. Can you show how you got these numbers?

Brew on :mug:

pour it into my 20 liters of wort in the bottling bucket, stir it and then bottle.

It will mix better if you put the sugar solution in the bottling bucket and then rack the beer into it. No matter how carefully you rack, there will be some turbulence. After that, stir gently, trying to disturb the surface as little as possible.

I don't get your math. Can you show how you got these numbers?

Norther_Brewer was talking about adding 4g/l to 500ml, and said 2ml of 1:1 sugar water did the trick. That makes sense if the density is 2g/ml, i.e. the water remains the same volume after adding sugar to it.

But if the density for 1:1 sucrose water is 1.2295g/ml, that's 0.6148g/ml of sucrose. (4 g/l) * (0.5 l) / 0.6148 g/ml) = 3.25 ml

Re the carbonation for a 2ml dose for 500ml, that would be 2.46g/l. I grabbed the brewers friend calculator and adjusted the target volumes until I got a suggested addition of 2.46g/l for a 20C beer. I rounded pretty hard; it looks like 1.47 volumes is closer, based on that calculator. It's also possible that calculator is imperfect. I just grabbed the first google result!

edit: oh, and I got the added volumes by finding what the calculator gave for 0g/l and subracting. It could be that this is not actually an equilibrium point. I did not calculate volumes directly from sugar. Off the top of my head, though, it roughly tracks with a rough 0.5 vols per gravity point, which I use on the fly sometimes.
(With less rounding error the same method yields 0.61 volumes. Maybe I should change my rule of thumb to 0.6 vols / point?)

Last edited:
Norther_Brewer was talking about adding 4g/l to 500ml, and said 2ml of 1:1 sugar water did the trick. That makes sense if the density is 2g/ml, i.e. the water remains the same volume after adding sugar to it.

But if the density for 1:1 sucrose water is 1.2295g/ml, that's 0.6148g/ml of sucrose. (4 g/l) * (0.5 l) / 0.6148 g/ml) = 3.25 ml

Re the carbonation for a 2ml dose for 500ml, that would be 2.46g/l. I grabbed the brewers friend calculator and adjusted the target volumes until I got a suggested addition of 2.46g/l for a 20C beer. I rounded pretty hard; it looks like 1.47 volumes is closer, based on that calculator. It's also possible that calculator is imperfect. I just grabbed the first google result!

edit: oh, and I got the added volumes by finding what the calculator gave for 0g/l and subracting. It could be that this is not actually an equilibrium point. I did not calculate volumes directly from sugar. Off the top of my head, though, it roughly tracks with a rough 0.5 vols per gravity point, which I use on the fly sometimes.
(With less rounding error the same method yields 0.61 volumes. Maybe I should change my rule of thumb to 0.6 vols / point?)
Thanks. I shouldn't try to do math after drinking.

Back