Style suggestions for Hallertau Mittelfrüh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello and thank you all again for reading my post and for the suggestions.

This is my first time growing hops and the little flowers are just starting to form.
FFC38A6D-52F3-4D86-B765-59D4AA2603D5.jpeg

I was wondering if anyone had any ale style suggestions I could utilize my Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops with. I’m not expecting a large year for its first ever season. My ideas so far:
-Roggenbier (basically a Hefeweizen but with rye instead of wheat)
-Green hopping a one gallon batch
-Hop Tea in my French Press (saw people using it in place of dry hopping)
184DC4E8-EE4B-4228-86DB-7EBABB2CDA70.jpeg

-or something like this hop schedule to really utilize hops to their fullest

I hate pilsners and I figured I could be more greater than just an American Pale Ale. Thank you for any ale style suggestions

If you hate pilsners, then you have to unlearn that and learn how to love them. Mf is basically THE pilsner hop, same league as saaz, some might say even a tiny bit nicer than saaz.

You can do a basic cream ale with that, but this will end up tasting a lot like pilsner... Which is actually a nice thing :D

Why not try a Kellerbier using the us-05 or the notti.
Kellerbier is a lager and basically nothing but an unfiltered pilsener with a bit smaller hopping rate. Basically, it is marketing fancy shmancy and reflects the current buyers choices in Germany. Unfiltered = natural = sooo much better than the "unnatural" beer that is in other bottles. Clear is so much bad bad boohoo because industry and stuuuuhuuuuuf!

The problem with home grown hops is you don’t know the AA% unless you send some out for testing. Most of the Hallertauer hops were 2.2 to 2.8% last year. In many years gone by they were 4.5 to 5 %.
So how can you come up with a recipe when you don’t know the AA%? It’s a guess at best.
This is why people tell you to buy your bittering hops and grow aroma hops.
That said, Mittelfruher is a classic German dual purpose “noble” hop used for everything. It works great in lagers and anything German.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/amp/fpSrUptcco

Or a Festbier, which is the golden version that is actually served under the tents in Munich as opposed to the amber/orange colored lager sold in the US.

“In this case, American breweries are actually making the “traditional” beer, while the Germans are the innovators. Up is down. Black is white. Heck, did you know that Oktoberfest isn’t even in October anymore?”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/amp/make-your-best-festbier/

Last edited:
Or a Festbier, which is the golden version that is actually served under the tents in Munich as opposed to the amber/orange colored lager sold in the US.

“In this case, American breweries are actually making the “traditional” beer, while the Germans are the innovators. Up is down. Black is white. Heck, did you know that Oktoberfest isn’t even in October anymore?”

Festbiers are lagers that I can’t make without the help of winter so I’m looking for ales. Also, from what I was told my Germans, festbiers were made for Americans during German holidays. They viewed it as Germans would rather have a few large strong beers and Americans would rather have several lighter beers. And Oktoberfest was always in October but that was back during the Gregorian Calendar. Now it falls under September.

Kolsch, Altbier for sure. Maybe even as a aroma hop in a blond ale. Could do a German Pale Ale using Weyermann Pale Ale malt?

I was thinking that exactly, German Pale Ale with weyermann for playing with the green hops

I grew an awesome set of Mt Hood one year. I was reluctant to use them as bittering hops because I did not know the AA percentage. How much would you use without using "too" much?

Assume the middle of the range for the variety. Hope for the best. Assume lowest, if you are off, your beer will be too bitter, or more bitter than you expected. Not a bad thing, unless you are a to style purist.

The place AA rating is not critical is later additions. Maybe bitter with magnum and late additions with the home grown.

Festbiers are lagers that I can’t make without the help of winter so I’m looking for ales. Also, from what I was told my Germans, festbiers were made for Americans during German holidays. They viewed it as Germans would rather have a few large strong beers and Americans would rather have several lighter beers. And Oktoberfest was always in October but that was back during the Gregorian Calendar. Now it falls under September.

I was thinking that exactly, German Pale Ale with weyermann for playing with the green hops
Let me put it that way, the first time I read the term "Fest beer" was in this forum. I never saw it in Germany or Bavaria.

So basically, my guess is, it is an American invention.

Ps: I'm German.

Oh and regarding Kölsch and Altbier, you would still need temperature control as these styles are usually fermented at relatively low temperatures, close to the lager temperature range.

I would probably use lutra @35c pitching temperature, wrapping it in a blanket or sleeping bag, and emulate a lager this way.

Or go with the high temperature beers, saison, hefeweizen or belgians and of course other kveiks.

Last edited:

Can I introduce you to my great friend, Lutra by Omega yeast?

Thank you for making this topic!
I was actually searching for the same info. I'm also: first time growing hops, also Hallertauer and apartment brewer without any temp control. :)
My initial plan was maybe a glorious smash with pilsner, a lot of late addition hops and a clean yeast.

The problem with home grown hops is you don’t know the AA% unless you send some out for testing. Most of the Hallertauer hops were 2.2 to 2.8% last year. In many years gone by they were 4.5 to 5 %.
So how can you come up with a recipe when you don’t know the AA%? It’s a guess at best.
This is why people tell you to buy your bittering hops and grow aroma hops.
That said, Mittelfruher is a classic German dual purpose “noble” hop used for everything. It works great in lagers and anything German.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/amp/fpSrUptcco

Bitter with Hallertau Magnum, then use the Mittelfruh for everything else. Can't go wrong.

This is my first time growing hops and the little flowers are just starting to form.
I was wondering if anyone had any ale style suggestions I could utilize my Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops with. I’m not expecting a large year for its first ever season. My ideas so far:
-Roggenbier (basically a Hefeweizen but with rye instead of wheat)
-Green hopping a one gallon batch
-Hop Tea in my French Press (saw people using it in place of dry hopping)

I hate pilsners and I figured I could be more greater than just an American Pale Ale. Thank you for any ale style suggestions

Let's go back to first principles :
  • The whole thing of green/wet hops is that they're not dried.
  • Drying hops evaporates many of the delicate flavour/aroma chemicals
  • So green/wet hops retain those delicate chemicals
  • But heating to whirlpool temperatures will cause some of those chemicals to evaporate
  • Boiling green/wet hops will cause more of the chemicals to evaporate
  • As has been mentioned, homegrown hops are a bit of a lottery for bittering, as you don't know the % alpha acids, although you can estimate it by tasting a hop tea in comparison with teas made from hops of known aa content. Or you can get an idea just by looking at local commercial hops to see if it's a high-alpha vintage or not
So as you can see, you make the most of green/wet hops by using them cold, and there's diminishing returns to using them as you go hotter and boil longer. So if you only have a few, you just want to use them as dry hops, and work backwards from the end of the brew as you get a bigger crop. Also if they don't all ripen at the same time, it can work to harvest some for brewday and then harvest the rest for dry hopping a week later.

Another point to make is that hops are 85% water, so you need a *lot* more green/wet hops to provide the same amount of flavouring as dried hops. In the UK brewers typically use 7x the green hops as dried, in the US people seem to use a little less, maybe 5-6x. And in your first year you might only get 100g/4oz of wet off your bine, so the equivalent of 15g/0.6oz dried hops, enough to play with but not for serious brewing.

So this first year, you're not really looking to make beer, you're just learning about your new ingredient. Knowing your ingredients will help you make much better beer in the long term, so it's worth being patient at this stage. So I wouldn't get hung up on making a "style".

I would just make a really clean, simple beer that shows off the new ingredient to its best advantage. So nothing adding complex flavours like rye, I would just go for a gallon or two (5-10l) of a really basic wort of say 1.045 of 100% pale/pilsner malt, 30 IBU of whatever bittering hops you have to hand and ferment with a clean yeast - 34/70, US-05, BRY-97 or whatever you have to hand. Then bottle a couple of bottles, and add the hops to the remainder for a few days. Then bottle and compare with the non-dry-hopped version to the dry-hopped version.

Personally I would split the batch and dry-hop half with the homegrown hops and half with commercial dried Mittelfruh to help understand the difference between green/wet hops and dried hops.

In the unlikely event that you have enough hops this year, you can split the wort and whirlpool half of it with homegrown hops, to see what they contribute at hotter temperatures, remembering that you need 7x as much compared to normal recipes.

And if you need to call it something, call it a "harvest ale". Whatever you call it, it's about the hops, and not fitting a "style".

[and whilst on the subject of German hops, I hope all HBTers in Germany & the Low Countries are OK, the pictures of the floods have looked horrendous]

Back