So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water is on for a pale ale.

E459499B-28C2-4E7D-BB88-D57456BD39F2.jpeg

Stars aligned and had my luck brewing two totally distinct (not split batch) beers over the course of 1 week. The CFV got the NE pale ale and the anvil is rocking a vanilla porter. Stoked for both! Running CIP :p

Attachments

• DBA59357-69C2-4FAC-91E0-AE92A8C25973.jpeg
    DBA59357-69C2-4FAC-91E0-AE92A8C25973.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A3706C02-B3FB-4CF0-B779-6D1075459C5F.jpeg
    A3706C02-B3FB-4CF0-B779-6D1075459C5F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Getting ready to brew my third attempt at a Traquair House approximation.

98% Golden Promise
2% Roasted Barley
Mash 148/1hr
120m boil
FWH Fuggle 13IBU
90m Cluster 13IBU
10m EKG 3IBU
Oak in primary
WLP-037

Brewed this yesterday, finally pitched yeast just now. I had planned on pitching a 4th gen top-cropped WLP-037, but the starter never took off and went sour. Sneaked out to the LHBS this morning for some Notty. I'm disappointed in the 037 going bad, but Notty is more accurate anyways.

It has been almost 5 months since I've brewed, and I'm planning on brewing sometime this week. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.
I've taken a couple of extended breaks from brewing. It always feels extra rewarding to knock the rust off, even if it means fumbling around a bit. I always think that I could really use a checklist when I am out of practice, but never get around to making one...

Brewing my 4th annual Santa’s Secret Stash Imperial stout on Friday. It’ll sit until being kegged next December and enjoyed at Christmas.

I've taken a couple of extended breaks from brewing. It always feels extra rewarding to knock the rust off, even if it means fumbling around a bit. I always think that I could really use a checklist when I am out of practice, but never get around to making one...
Oh yes…I’ve already started wondering where the mistakes will show up this time. I use brewers friend, so it provides a dynamic checklist…but…sigh. At least it isn’t boring!! 🥴

Old ale/keeping beer planned either at the weekend, or over the next couple of days. Circa 8%.

80% pale ale split between Chevallier and MO, 10% golden syrup, 5% pale crystal, 4% wheat and a touch of Carafa Special.
50 IBU with Harlequin and First Gold, fairly big whirlpool but no dry hop.
Notty/S-04 copitch

I am brewing this on Christmas Day:

Dirndl Lifter Doppelbock​

By Brewmasterjohn
Method:BIABStyle:Doppelbock
Boil Time:60 minBatch Size:5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size:8.5 gallonsEfficiency:60% (brew house)
Boil Gravity:1.074 (recipe based estimate) Hop Utilization Multiplier:1
Original Gravity:1.084
Final Gravity:1.013
ABV (standard):9.3%
IBU (tinseth):12.62
SRM (morey):19.23
Mash pH:5.38

Fermentables
AmountFermentablePPG°LBill %
13 lbBarke Munich Malt37861.9%
6 lbBarke Pilsner Malt37.031.7528.6%
2 lbCaraMunich III34579.5%
Hops
AmountVarietyTypeAAUseTimeIBU
2 ozHallertau MittelfruhPellet3.75Boil20 min12.62
Mash Guidelines
AmountDescriptionTypeTempTime
8.5 galInfusion152 F60 min
Other Ingredients
AmountNameTypeUseTime
3 gCalcium Chloride (anhydrous)Water AgtMash60 min
1.5 gEpsom SaltWater AgtMash60 min
4 gGypsumWater AgtMash60 min
2 gSaltWater AgtMash60 min
4 gBaking SodaWater AgtMash60 min
4 mlHydrochloric acidWater AgtMash60 min
0.5 tspYeast NutrientOtherBoil10 min
1 tspIrish MossFiningBoil5 min
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70
Attenuation (avg):83%Flocculation:High
Optimum Temp:48 - 72 °FStarter:No
Fermentation Temp:50 °FPitch Rate:0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)
Priming
Method: co2 Amount: 26.71 psi CO2 Level: 2.44 Volumes
Target Water Profile: 33260
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2HCO3-
Acidify all brewing water to a pH of 5.5 (at room temperature) using phosphoric acid and a pH meter

The mash pH for base malts is 5.8-6.0: add crystal/caramel malts and dark grains AFTER the mash is finished.
Notes
Perform a 10-minute mash out at 170 F due to the gravity

Ferment at 50 F for 4 weeks

Perform diacetyl rest at room temp for 7 days

Place fermenter back in chamber set at 50 F for last week.

Keg and lager for 6 months

I brewed a less known Golden English Mild today (most milds are darker in color) with a few of my friends today. Beautiful crisp Florida winter day out on the back lanai. Another friend saw the brewing process for the first time and I think he might have liked it a little too much. I see expensive brewing equipment for Christmas gifts on his new updated list and his wife might not be too happy with me! Oh well tis the season!

John

A simple AG "snowstorm wheat" - Treated RO h2O, pilsner/wheat with Hall/Mitt and US-05. Have the Anvil in mash mode now, steam condenser standing by.
Plan to finish by noon and .... probably be blowing snow in the afternoon (location - mid state IL).
Then: relax & enjoy that homebrew ... take care all

It has been almost 5 months since I've brewed, and I'm planning on brewing sometime this week. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.
and..yesterday got away from me, got 0 prep done and still didn't get to bed until after midnite. Yeeesh. 7 in the morning and I'm wondering...should I just start?

I've got a meeting at 10 which is bound to screw stuff up. Feel like I could very easily talk myself out of brewing today and just prepping for tomorrow. Freekin hell....

A simple AG "snowstorm wheat" - Treated RO h2O, pilsner/wheat with Hall/Mitt and US-05. Have the Anvil in mash mode now, steam condenser standing by.
Plan to finish by noon and .... probably be blowing snow in the afternoon (location - mid state IL).
Then: relax & enjoy that homebrew ... take care all
Sounds similar to my Wheat recipe. I do 59% wheat, 37% 2-row, and 3% carapils. Same hops.

and..yesterday got away from me, got 0 prep done and still didn't get to bed until after midnite. Yeeesh. 7 in the morning and I'm wondering...should I just start?

I've got a meeting at 10 which is bound to screw stuff up. Feel like I could very easily talk myself out of brewing today and just prepping for tomorrow. Freekin hell....
1.5 hours later, said the hell w/it.

0604DCE7-142D-4FA8-A3BE-63C7E5FFF703.jpg

IMG_7577.jpeg

Knightshade - looking good! A better choice of the day (until work catches up...). Finished my "snowstorm wheat" and krausen is cranking!
stay warm folks - ugly outside here.

Brewed up a batch of the House Blonde this morning, and trying no-chill for the first time in a long time. Very cold in the garage today, one hour post-flameout and it's down to 147. Hoping to pitch this afternoon since I'm using Lutra.
How did the no-chill work out? I’m thinking of trying it today. -4° outside actual temp with -35° wind chill.

Knightshade - looking good! A better choice of the day (until work catches up...). Finished my "snowstorm wheat" and krausen is cranking!
stay warm folks - ugly outside here.

I was dragging by the end of day for sure. Didn't finish clean up until after 5. Wort was down to temp a little before 7 so I pitched the yeast and woke up at 6 this morning to some bubbling! woot!!

How did the no-chill work out? I’m thinking of trying it today. -4° outside actual temp with -35° wind chill.
Only took a couple of hours to get down to pitching temperature, beer got kegged the other day and tastes pretty good. Liking this option for non-hoppy beers.

I brewed another 15 gallon rendition of my Red ale yesterday. Finally with half electric. I put a 5500w element in my 60 qt HLT and made the cheapest controller I could. I even used a cheap little pump for the first time. I used to have to bail the hot liquor up to the the mash tun, Denny style.

Someday I might just go ahead and put a 5500w element in my 100 qt boil kettle and build a simple PID controller for the HLT since I have the tools and the gfci circuit to do it now. Then I wont need propane or to keep checking the HLT thermometer while milling the malt.

Attachments

• control box.jpg
    control box.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
In that I still have at least 35 lbs of base malt in the hopper, and only one batch in bottles in the 'fridge, it's time to brew again.

Friday's supposed to be in the high 40's/low 50's, so it won't be redonkulously cold in the garage, so looks like that's the day to do it.

Now, if only I had a recipe I wanted to try... and would this be a good time to do a naturally cooled lager in the garage...
Abita makes a Mardi Gras Maibock -- maybe I'll shoot for a clone!

YEsterday I brewed up my Oatmeal Stout. |It's a recipe I've done a couple times before, once came out spot on munbers, the second was a bit lighter in color. I just called it an oatmeal porter and was done.
This time numbers were a bit light, but color is like ink.
Only issue was in runoff, especially my sparge. It wouldn't drain for anything.
I ended up having to scoop the mash and liquid out and dump through the old kitchen strainer.
|Messy, and a pain in the ass, but effective. I did intentionally brew an extra gallon - I'm planning on tossing some coffee in there in another couple weeks, bottle that separately from the keg of the main brew.
And under 18 hours and it was chugging away. I was not sure it was going to do that - I revived some frozen yeast for this, the last time I tried it, the yeast didn't do anything, even with a light starter. Had to scramble to order new yeast to get here by brewday.
I did have some backup yeast ready to go in case this time before |I started the starter - Murphy's Law says that's why it worked this time, and didn't work the last.

Just mashed in on a Surly Bender clone at 4:30. My 10 gallon kettle is now in my oven which holds F 155. I'm going to my brother's for dinner. I'll get home around 11-12 and do the boiling/hops additions. Then I will put the kettle outside to cool overnight then add the vitality starter at the appropriate temp.
Granted, not the most repeatable method of brewing but I will have made beer!

Attachments

• 20221229_163105.jpg
    20221229_163105.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_163117.jpg
    20221229_163117.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back