So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put a Lutra Blonde to bed after a quick brewday. Totally forgot another competition coming up, entries are due 11/6 so going to push this one fast. Now excuse me while I convince my husband that we do NOT need to take the dogs to the ocean this weekend while he bowls a tournament, leaving me to amuse two hyper never-been-to-the-beach dogs OMG is that a seagull look another dog bark bark bark pull (shoulder dislocates) yep I'm gonna stay home. Pipeline is a bit low anyway, might brew up a WF festbier on 34/70 tomorrow.

Had to add some DME as the brewers malt I’ve been getting from a local distillery isn’t very efficient.

Attachments

• 5AE951C7-DF77-41DE-B33B-ED3C4A308D4A.jpeg
    5AE951C7-DF77-41DE-B33B-ED3C4A308D4A.jpeg
    801.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a WLP028 yeast starter I started spinning up a couple hours ago. May make it a 2-stage starter for an ~8.5% Scottish Wee Heavy I'm planning to brew on Monday.
I've postponed my brew day until Wednesday. Currently in the middle of a 2-step starter build. Step one was uneventful though apparently successful. Cold crashed and decanted. Let it warm up a bit and then added Propper Starter/water and put it back on the stir plate. It took off quickly and violently!! An hour later my 2 liter flask looked like a volcano, and the entire kitchen now smells like a bakery. Hopefully I didn't blow too much yeast out. :)

I bottled some Lithuanian raw farmhouse ale last night. This should be pretty close to the actual Jovaru Alus, but I don't pretend that I got it exactly right. Jovaru Alus | Larsblog The ones in plastic bottles are already getting hard and there's sediment in the bottles. I'll give 'em a week and then open one of the small bottles. (I bottled most of it in quarts and liters)

Tonight I'll be bottling some apple cider that I started in February and then was out of town for a couple of months dealing with unpleasant family business when it should have been bottled. When I came back the airlock was dry and there was crap floating on top. I finally got up the nerve a month ago to sample it and it was fine. I racked it to a new carboy, and added some more juice and a little K1V-1116 yeast because I didn't know if there was any live yeast to carbonate it. (and '1116 should kill any wild yeasts in there) It has been bubbling very slowly for 2 weeks and is clearing again, so I think it's time to bottle it.

Next Wednesday or maybe Thursday I'll be brewing a Belgian dubbel, as much as anything to use up a pound of D-90 syrup I bought on a whim 2 years ago. I'll post more about that when I actually do it.

It's good to get some old projects finished, especially one that I thought might be a dumper.

Brewing Sunday. Making a Gingerbread Porter to be served on nitro as part of our Christmas beer lineup. My brew partner lives down the street and we've been squirreling away winter ales.

We've also got a Pumpkin Pie ale that's been aging since last year (also on nitro), our Belgian Quad (halfass Westvleteren clone), and finally this Gingerbread ale. Going to do a nice little British Bitter in a week or two so we have a lighter beer as well.

5:58AM- I’m 40 minutes into the mash on the first of a double brew day. This one- banana-Rama hefe, been talking about doing a banana bomb for a while now and decided to pull the trigger!

Second brew will be the staple Pisswasser brew onto the previous yeast cake. Simple and quick but going to try with 6-row this time due to all of the rice in the beer.

Everyone remember to set their clocks back?

Brewing Sunday. Making a Gingerbread Porter to be served on nitro as part of our Christmas beer lineup. My brew partner lives down the street and we've been squirreling away winter ales.

We've also got a Pumpkin Pie ale that's been aging since last year (also on nitro), our Belgian Quad (halfass Westvleteren clone), and finally this Gingerbread ale. Going to do a nice little British Bitter in a week or two so we have a lighter beer as well.
Been reading up on Gingerbread porters / stouts - what's your method of imparting flavor, if you don't mind me asking?

Today I'll be bottling some cider, cleaning up a messy kitchen to get ready for brew day, and assembling and priming some little model tanks for Flames of War -- actually, armored mortars and AA guns. Tomorrow I'll be brewing this (I think the predicted amount of water is just a little too much, my boil-off rate isn't that high, I'll probably use about a quart less):

I almost might try making some dark Belgian candy syrup, since I'll have a package of the real thing to compare with. I've never used it before. I have made and used English-style dark invert syrup, but not in a Belgian beer.

Attachments

• 1122 Belgian Dubbel - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.pdf
    268.5 KB · Views: 0
Today I'll be bottling some cider, cleaning up a messy kitchen to get ready for brew day, and assembling and priming some little model tanks for Flames of War -- actually, armored mortars and AA guns. Tomorrow I'll be brewing this (I think the predicted amount of water is just a little too much, my boil-off rate isn't that high, I'll probably use about a quart less):

I almost might try making some dark Belgian candy syrup, since I'll have a package of the real thing to compare with. I've never used it before. I have made and used English-style dark invert syrup, but not in a Belgian beer.
I just mashed it in. (almost forgot to add the wheat) Actually hit my target temperature exactly for the first time ever. :ban: I remembered what the temperature drop was last time I added the grist (8°F) and added that to the mash temperature even tho' the amount of grain is a little different. But it's not that different. And it worked. (of course it worked but I'm a slow learner sometimes)

Milled grain earlier today for another batch of the house WF lager; no surprises, just the same tasty beer I've done many times before. Going to keg off a festbier on 34/70 tomorrow, and seriously thinking of just racking tomorrow's brew onto that 4th generation yeast cake; it's done great for four beers so far, might give it another go. After that, a quick trip to the grocery store for honey and an orange, time to make another batch of mead.

Goign thought the last couple pages it seems that Schwarzbier appears to be the 'in' style right about now. I did one myself today.
Pretty much everything went right by the numbers.
Only thing is, I know it's supposed to be a lager, but I used a Kolsch yeast. I had some in the freezer that didn't wake back up, though I'd gone by the procedures, with glycerin and so on.
I ordered a new pack early this week that fortunately came in time. I'll look into freezing this down once it's done - hope it works better this time. As much as I try to buy grains and hops in bulk, new yeast every batch does add up quickly.

Goign thought the last couple pages it seems that Schwarzbier appears to be the 'in' style right about now. I did one myself today.
Pretty much everything went right by the numbers.
Only thing is, I know it's supposed to be a lager, but I used a Kolsch yeast. I had some in the freezer that didn't wake back up, though I'd gone by the procedures, with glycerin and so on.
I ordered a new pack early this week that fortunately came in time. I'll look into freezing this down once it's done - hope it works better this time. As much as I try to buy grains and hops in bulk, new yeast every batch does add up quickly.
Have you considered re-using yeast slurry? Many of us here do, and it usually works just great. No freezing necessary, just sanitized Mason jars. Kept cold, they can still be viable up to two months (or longer, for some). Money saver right there.

Have you considered re-using yeast slurry? Many of us here do, and it usually works just great. No freezing necessary, just sanitized Mason jars. Kept cold, they can still be viable up to two months (or longer, for some). Money saver right there.
I do that when possible, but i don't always brew that often, especially more specialty yeasts. 1056 / S05 I keep and reuse fine, but something like this one, the Irish Ale I use for stouts, Saison and so on I don't use as often.
Sadly, I'm not an every week brewer, more often it's 2 to 3 months between at best.

Back