Short Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C17-EHSE

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my first brew this evening and I think I'm probably at least a half gallon or so shy of 5 gallons? Can I boil some water, cool it and add it to the wort or just adjust my priming sugar mix a little and don't sweat it? :eek:

Did you hit your intended FG? Did you put 5 gallons into the carboy? Did you lose the half gallon transferring to secondary or bottling bucket?

Personally, I think hitting your targets is more important than being shy a half gallon.
If you were to add top up water you would have wanted to add it pre-fermentation. At this point you'll basically just water the beer down.

I'd say relax and let it roll! If you are not satisfied with the result, there is always next time!

alex is correct. don't add water after fermentation starts. just tolerate the stronger beer. we've all done it. dirty job, though... :D

Well, taste the hydrometer sample. If you can say to yourself, "I think this beer would be so much better watered down!", then add some water.

Or live with four fewer bottles or so of better beer.

I will be checking the FG in a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. It's been in the fermenter for a month. It's smells great! I just don't want bottle bombs as I have to leave town until the 17th on business.

Back