How much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagarge

Reaction score
So another quick thread. (Love you guys by the way, great response from you all)

I am about to be ready to bottle my second batch, a harvest bitter.

I have a secondary vessel to add my priming sugar to. Is there an easier way to calculate how much sugar to add to prime. I have about 23 litres which works out to 46 half litre bottles. I really dont want to measure out half a tea spoon to each bottle and would rather dissolve in a cup of water and add to the pre bottling vessel.

🍺

Brilliant thanks mate, i actually have that site saved 😂
If the temperature of the beer is about 20c but i am racking off into cold bottles do i need to alter the equation?
temperature is only needed to account for CO2 already in the beer. Theoretically, some minute amount if dissolved CO2 could be afffected by bottle temperature when packaging, but I doubt it would make a material difference.

temperature is only needed to account for CO2 already in the beer. Theoretically, some minute amount if dissolved CO2 could be afffected by bottle temperature when packaging, but I doubt it would make a material difference.
Thanks for the clarification there my friend! I will take that into account

temperature is only needed to account for CO2 already in the beer.
Temperature is the temperature the beer finishes fermenting and conditioning at. Not the temperature it is cold crashed to, unless it is cold crashed in a pure Co2 environment and kept cold for several days.

I have been using enough water to dissolve the sugar for priming it seems to work well. It is always confusing when talking about cups in the US as all my cups are different sizes 🤣
Metric and imperial complications. Also is a pint in the uk the same as the US? Anyway, all going well. My yorkshire bitter is nearly ready and tasting great. Im about to start some pilsner and wheat beer! Loving it 👍

Just about to bottle some pilsner and need advice.

The sheet instructions say to add 7g per litre when bottling, that would be 140g. But the online calculator says i would only need 91g in total… big difference there 🤷‍♂️

Also, is there a big difference in using yellow sugar as opposed to white sugar? Its just slightly less refined thats all 🍻

Both amounts are wrong, one will give you overcarbonation and the other undercarbonation. Try 120g in 20L.

Slightly less refined sugar is essentially equivalent to white sugar. I would use the same amount.

Both amounts are wrong, one will give you overcarbonation and the other undercarbonation. Try 120g in 20L.

Slightly less refined sugar is essentially equivalent to white sugar. I would use the same amount.
So is the online calculator not to be trusted? Or the kit instructions?
I have 20l of pilsner at 20c going into bottles.

Looks to me like the online calculator works just fine. Aim for about 2.3 volumes CO2, that's a key thing -- the default is 2.0 but that's not enough. Looks like my estimate of 120g wasn't far off. Brewer's Friend says 115g. The correct amount is somewhere around that point of 115-120g.

1712053877443.png

Looks to me like the online calculator works just fine. Aim for about 2.3 volumes CO2, that's a key thing -- the default is 2.0 but that's not enough. Looks like my estimate of 120g wasn't far off. Brewer's Friend says 115g. The correct amount is somewhere around that point of 115-120g.

View attachment 845566
Thanks dude! Can you explain what the volumes of co2 means in layman terms? Is that the carbonation i am aiming for?

Yeah, standard carbonation is about 2.3 volumes. I'm not even sure exactly what it means, but lower carbonation is <2 volumes, higher carbonation would be about 2.5-2.6 volumes (if you really want the beer to leap from the bottle). Anything more than that is just asking for trouble. This is all just based on experience. I've bottled about 160 batches since 1999.

Yeah, standard carbonation is about 2.3 volumes. I'm not even sure exactly what it means, but lower carbonation is <2 volumes, higher carbonation would be about 2.5-2.6 volumes (if you really want the beer to leap from the bottle). Anything more than that is just asking for trouble. This is all just based on experience. I've bottled about 160 batches since 1999.
Legend! Thanks aot!

I do like a fizzy beer, and this being a pilsner i would defo like a sparkle!

Can you explain what the volumes of co2 means in layman terms?
One volume of CO2 is defined as the amount of CO2 that would fill a given volume at standard temperature and pressure (STP). So two volumes of CO2 means that the beer contains twice the amount of CO2 that would fit in the volume - a litter of beer would have two liters of dissolved CO2. One volume of CO2 is equal to 1.96 grams per liter.

Latest posts

Back