First time brewing how do I prime with belgian candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Keven

Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to start bottling my first ever homebrew, and am brewing a Belgian style dark saison. I thought it would be fitting to prime the bottles with Belgian candy sugar, and on northern brewer's website they have a nice calculator that says how much to use. Homebrew Priming Sugar Calculator
From the calculator I'm going to try 7.7 oz for our 5 gallon batch (at around 70 degrees F). But my question is how do I add the candy sugar? Should I melt it down in a pot and essentially turn it into a syrup? If that's the case would I want to weigh the candy first, or weigh it as a syrup instead? Any clarification would be awesome

When you say "fitting" to prime Belgain beer with candi sugar, do you really mean "fun?" I ask because Belgian brewers don't do that. Also, candi sugar is more expensive than other sugars, and I would bet a paycheck that the result will be indistinguishable.

If you decide to use it, and you're adding it to a bottling bucket, you'll need to boil it with a little water, so that the resulting solution can mix evenly with the beer. But it sounds like you'd be adding it directly to the bottles. Either way, I'd weigh it dry.

I tend to agree with the first reply. For priming, sugar choice isn't going to matter. Only if you were using a sugar that brought a lot, and I mean a lot of other unique flavors with it, then for priming, just use whatever fermentable sugar is handy.

The amount of priming sugar compared to the volume of beer is so tiny, it'd have to contain a lot of a very unique flavor to add any taste you'll notice. IMO

I usually make a priming solution to mix in my beer before it is racked into the bottles. So depending on the amount of beer and the sugar amount required to prime it, I'll boil a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water then dissolve the sugar in it and let it cool. I do that first thin on bottling day.

Then by the time I get bottles sanitized and everything else ready, the sugar solution is cooled or can quickly be cooled by setting the pan on some ice in a big bowl. And it gets gently mixed into the beer before racking into the bottles.

Back