Newbie already made a mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with mac, I don't think I'd trust those with co2. You could age the beer in those then transfer to kegs or bottles to carbonate when it is where you want it.
I guess the spigot would allow me to try easily. Like i asked mac, could i prime the beer in that keg or would it also create too much pressure?

Would that also be the case if i were to add priming sugar to the keg and mature without CO2? I will have to go and look at them i suppose…

priming or using CO2 is pretty much the same for carbonation. The CO2 is also needed to maintain carbonation and keep O2 air out as you deplete the beer. CO2 takes up the empty space and keeps the beer from going flat.

I'd stay away from those kegs. Who knows what they were used for with the added spigots and what mods were made to the sealed top hardware to prevent a vacuum so fluid could be poured out of the spigot.

Last edited:
priming or using CO2 is pretty much the same for carbonation. The CO2 is also need to maintain carbonation and keep O2 air out as you deplete the beer. CO2 takes up the empty space and keeps the beer from going flat.

I'd stay away from those kegs. Who knows what they were used for with the added spigots and what mods were made to the sealed top hardware to prevent a vacuum so fluid could be poured out of the spigot.
Yeah i guess i will swerve these kegs. I dont need them right now i have many aspects to work on before i get to large kegs. It was just that they are dirt cheap and thought it was a good opportunity.

Thanks guys you most definitely saved me a few bucks 😂

Yeah i guess i will swerve these kegs. I dont need them right now i have many aspects to work on before i get to large kegs. It was just that they are dirt cheap and thought it was a good opportunity.

Thanks guys you most definitely saved me a few bucks 😂

This forum helped me save a lot of money with DIY tips and hardware purchases.

I didn't read deeply into the posts about kegs but I would suggest looking at newer kegs for your use. Suggesting you want to sell brewed beer I'd really be concerned with proper cleaning and sanitation.

Each place has it's own laws about that so I would look at your area before buying up used equipment. With the wine industry nearby you should be able to find proper equipment being sold that you could use.

You have brewed one batch of beer. Take the right steps to understand brewing better before investing in a future you're not sure of.

Aside from a possible issue accessing the top port, hard liquor is served still, no carbonation.

Beer on the other hand relies on proper carbonation to be tasting good. That means the keg and beer needs to be carbonated and dispensed under pressure when serving.
You cannot simply dispense carbonated beer under pressure through that spigot on the bottom: the beer would squirt out at high speed, since there is no resistance.
That's why we use a certain length of (flexible) tubing of a rather thin inner diameter between the keg and faucet to create some back pressure. That keeps the beer carbonated on its way to the faucet, and prevents it from excessive foaming too.

Update:

5 days later i could not help myself…. It is clearing very well. The taste is as close to an american ale i can imagine 🥹

Attachments

• B49C013C-9687-46B9-A6E7-3EF1DEB65044.jpeg
    B49C013C-9687-46B9-A6E7-3EF1DEB65044.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
How long until you would say the bottles are done and ready? I am trying to not sample too much bit damn shes tasty 😂

If you think it tastes and has the carbonation and other things you want to taste, then drink them up. However you might hold on to a few bottles and every so often pop one int the fridge for a day or two and then give it a try. Sometimes you might find certain beers taste better with more time. Other beers need to be fairly fresh and get old quick.

I have had some unappealing tasting beer I made that started tasting better 3 to 4 months after bottling. But I didn't have enough left to enjoy. The other beer that tasted bad when new, still tasted bad 3 to 4 months later. I dumped those.

If you think it tastes and has the carbonation and other things you want to taste, then drink them up. However you might hold on to a few bottles and every so often pop one int the fridge for a day or two and then give it a try. Sometimes you might find certain beers taste better with more time. Other beers need to be fairly fresh and get old quick.

I have had some unappealing tasting beer I made that started tasting better 3 to 4 months after bottling. But I didn't have enough left to enjoy. The other beer that tasted bad when new, still tasted bad 3 to 4 months later. I dumped those.
I mean damn it this is delicious. A good head, good carbonation and has cleared really well… strength is easily 5% Plus but i will hold off and age a little bit 🍺

Proud of this one 😂 i swear i am going to keep some at least one month.

Attachments

• 697D86D3-F1F1-4040-B943-2271FEFE6CB4.jpeg
    697D86D3-F1F1-4040-B943-2271FEFE6CB4.jpeg
    964.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ED6FD5BB-F77E-4682-99CA-83FC9A3F91B4.jpeg
    ED6FD5BB-F77E-4682-99CA-83FC9A3F91B4.jpeg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 0
So i just experienced my first bottle gusher…. Like a geyser she was. Opened a bottle and my living room is now covered in beer…. Is this a sign of bottle bombs to come? It was the first bottle in maybe 10 i have opened….

bottle bombs
Possibly. There are a some things you can do:
1. Keep them in a container (bucket/bin), store them in the fridge as cold as possible and hope for no bombs. Open carefully. Drink them soon.
2. Carefully open each one to release pressure then re-cap. May end up with some bottles with low carbonation if the issue is poor distribution of priming solution.
3. Toss. ☹️

Possibly. There are a some things you can do:
1. Keep them in a container (bucket/bin), store them in the fridge as cold as possible and hope for no bombs. Open carefully. Drink them soon.
2. Carefully open each one to release pressure then re-cap. May end up with some bottles with low carbonation if the issue is poor distribution of priming solution.
3. Toss. ☹️
To be honest i did accidentally knock it about a bit coming down the stairs 🤷‍♂️
They are in a box in a cool dark place so i will keep an eye in them👍

That could definitely be your issue. You should chill and try another one, just for research, of course.😉🍻
I had to try another of course….. hahaha!
All is good so far. That is it though. No more until another week at least.
Got a bitter on the go so that will be done in about a week. I managed to source some decent kegs and a bottle wand with a hand pump so should make bottling a bit easier 🙏

So i just experienced my first bottle gusher…. Like a geyser she was.
If it's just the one bottle (or a few, at random) it could be due to:
a) poor distribution of priming solution at bottling time (as @Rish said), or​
b) an infection in those few bottles, due to not having been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.​

It's recommended to refrigerate bottle conditioned beer for at least 2-3 days before opening.

How are the kegs going to help with bottling?

Where does the hand pump come in?
I think it was due to not mixing the priming solution well enough so it wasnt evenly distributed. Also knocking the bottle a few times down the stairs. It hasn’t happened since.

The kegs were just a thought to my next brew, obviously if i have a keg i wont be bottling the beer. The self siphon hand pump will come im handy if i do decide to bottle some rather than using the small siphon tap i used on this batch. 👊

I am storing the beers at about 10c which i presumed is how you would serve an ale. But i will try refrigerating them first

The self siphon hand pump will come im handy if i do decide to bottle some
Is that what we call an auto siphon? You pull the center pipe up, so it sucks up beer, then push it down, to prime the siphon?

Those tend to incorporate air into your beer when priming, due to the pump action. But if done carefully and diligently, you may get away with it.

Cheeky update on that yorkshire bitter i did.
Couldnt help it, very proud of this one hahaha!
Cheers all you legends!

Attachments

• 2ACC81ED-DBAC-412A-8668-DA092F40AD6D.jpeg
    2ACC81ED-DBAC-412A-8668-DA092F40AD6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • FA0F2678-7BEB-4850-B53B-95DF4FEDEDCE.jpeg
    FA0F2678-7BEB-4850-B53B-95DF4FEDEDCE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back