Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love my Ram, I really do. But my next truck will be an electric.

I'd love to hear more about what you're thinking. I have a Ram(&Durango) driver in the family and I don't know how to suggest they look into electric in a way they'll take seriously.

I got an email from a recruiter at Rivian in California for a job a few months ago. I turned it down but their truck is rather impressive

*Edit here it is R1T - Rivian

Last edited:

There are elements of this that auto-makers can learn from, but I'm skeptical that the featured vehicle will reach mainstream popularity.

once the technology catches up and you are able to charge your vehicle as fast as you can fill it up with gas I believe it will be a short time after that where most, if not all, vehicles are electric. I know this cause I work in Finance.

Personally if I can charge fast at home or at a station im in. Also, if they fix the complaint of them not working well in the cold and using more battery in the cold id be more inclined to get one.

I don't know how much I can trust anyone who would say, "Surely there must be a shape that mathematically would equal zero drag".

No, there isn't! Even if you could make it 2 dimensional and completely flat, that is still going to have drag!

That vehicle looks great for single people or couples without kids who live in favorable climates and don't need to tow things ever. We need more family vehicles that can pull a small camper.

Between rising battery capacity and improved fast charging tech, the performance hit from cold isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. It's still significant, but it's getting better.

That was a weird thing to say (about drag), and I wonder why the filming/editing crew didn't either do a second take or edit that out.

That vehicle looks great for single people or couples without kids who live in favorable climates and don't need to tow things ever. We need more family vehicles that can pull a small camper.
I would actually consider this as a commuter car if $27k wasn't completely outside of my price range. Our SUV can do all the family things.

The new Ford e Mustang looks sweet!

Sounds like they are hitting dealerships now.
I can't express my hate enough for the giant touchscreen floating in front of the dash like it was an afterthought. The rest of the car seems cool though.
1608134956698.png

Is that really how the interior of the electric mustang looks?

If so, this validates my dislike for Ford and how I like GM. I test drove a Bolt and drive a Volt. Their screens / "infotainment" setup make sense. There could certainly be improvements, but they're usable and not nearly that clunky.

Is that really how the interior of the electric mustang looks?

If so, this validates my dislike for Ford and how I like GM. I test drove a Bolt and drive a Volt. Their screens / "infotainment" setup make sense. There could certainly be improvements, but they're usable and not nearly that clunky.
That article's biggest complaint was that the software package was so worthless that he had to use his phone for navigation so it is pretty clear that everything about the screen, not just placement, was an afterthought. However, it raved about the mechanical aspects of the car.

A friend in HS had a 74 Mustang Hatchback. A lot of people felt the same way about that model, but it was still a fun ride.

That car almost killed the Mustang brand.

But at least it was a coupe. It was low to the ground. It was a pony car.

This is a 4-door crossover. Sure, it might *perform* like a Mustang, but it's listed as a damn SUV!

If they wanted to make an electric Mustang, it has to remain a 2-door pony car. I'd accept AWD rather than remaining RWD, but it should be low-slung and 2 doors.

If they want to make a performance-oriented electric SUV, that's fine and a GREAT idea. It's not a damn Mustang!

The Aptera looks like a fantastic commuter car, but I’d be curious what its like driving across the Mojave or down Cajon pass with 70mph cross winds.

On the topic of screens, I’m a huge fan of bringing back buttons or something with tactile feedback. Most touchscreens are a hazard to driving. Ford Stynk infotainment lives up to the rep.

Found a video of Ford software engineers working on the new version of Sync

Has anyone looked into cost of insuring Tesla. I had heard it’s expensive due to parts availability etc.

If I had to buy a family car now, I think it would be the new e-mustang.

Has anyone looked into cost of insuring Tesla. I had heard it’s expensive due to parts availability etc.
If I had to buy a family car now, I think it would be the new e-mustang.

I insure two of them and it's a non issue anymore. Early on some insurers could not get their actuarial data figured out but these days most have. I find Progressive to give the best rates but of course it will vary greatly with each individuals age, driving record etc.

My son-in-law traded in his Volt on a Bolt. We switched cars last weekend, for reasons. So, I got to drive a Bolt for a while. It’s a nice little car. But I found the seat really uncomfortable. It’s made for someone smaller than I. So, I was happy to get my Volt back. Other than that I liked it.

Last edited:
Back