Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Bilsch That article was excellent. I would love it if Tesla put out its own data set to compare.

389k on the odo isnt bad for a set of batteries that have spend most of their driving driving between LA and Vegas. Curious how many miles those motors are rated for?

Edit: nevermind, found the answer. 1 million miles. Battery packs are rated between 300-500k miles.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-many-miles-will-a-tesla-last/

Traded the RX for this, and yeah @dwhite60 batteries are $$$. The previous owner replaced the one in this for the low, low price of $16k (after a $4k discount).
View attachment 722174
That price is pretty low compared to the prices in the article I posted. Model S can have up to 16 battery modules at 5-7k per module. I’m guessing price per module dropped since the article was written.

Did the car come with any software features like Ludicrous mode? I’ve heard Tesla occasionally strips the software updates when ownership changes.

That price is pretty low compared to the prices in the article I posted. Model S can have up to 16 battery modules at 5-7k per module. I’m guessing price per module dropped since the article was written.

Did the car come with any software features like Ludicrous mode? I’ve heard Tesla occasionally strips the software updates when ownership changes.

No, this particular p85 sig series didn't have Ludacris mode. It was their first run at the p85, so it came with everything at the time.

They'll only strip privileges when THEY are the ones selling the car. They won't muck with private party sales.

well this came up again...so here i am, again...i still think the future is cars that run on beer, and cheese burgers! (ethanol, biodiesel)

well this came up again...so here i am, again...i still think the future is cars that run on beer, and cheese burgers! (ethanol, biodiesel)
I felt like this the first time my buddy ran a high concentration of bio-diesel using reclaimed fryer oil. His exhaust smelled like french fries.

I felt like this the first time my buddy ran a high concentration of bio-diesel using reclaimed fryer oil. His exhaust smelled like french fries.

i remember working in the deli, all the fat chicken grease, fryer oil and all went to the biodiesel thingy.....ethanol has 7 calories a gram, and fat 9, so i'd guess biodiesel is the future, people want electric so they just don't get blood on their hands, but where's the electricity come from? solar panels only make power when the suns up and need batteries, but plants know how to store energy with out a battery, fat and carbs.....so it's like solar panels with built in battery's...

i remember working in the deli, all the fat chicken grease, fryer oil and all went to the biodiesel thingy.....ethanol has 7 calories a gram, and fat 9, so i'd guess biodiesel is the future, people want electric so they just don't get blood on their hands, but where's the electricity come from? solar panels only make power when the suns up and need batteries, but plants know how to store energy with out a battery, fat and carbs.....so it's like solar panels with built in battery's...

Don't lump me in with these yuppies. I just want the instant torque at any time without lag. I am a child, a man child!!

Don't lump me in with these yuppies. I just want the instant torque at any time without lag. I am a child, a man child!!

yeah and i want to be able to fill my 'battery' with out having to wait a day on a trip.....i actually do have one friend, and if a actually gave a damn about seeing him again he lives 1600+ miles away....how many charges and time would that be? now if my 'exhaust' smelt like french fries i could do it!

I wonder, if you converted all vehicles in New York to flex fuel, and put all the american corn crop into ethanol and shipped it to New York, how many hours would it last?

According to my high school science teacher, it wouldn't last a week. But he didn't seem like an expert on this kind of thing.

but where's the electricity come from? solar panels only make power when the suns up and need batteries, but plants know how to store energy with out a battery, fat and carbs.....so it's like solar panels with built in battery's...

It's a good thing we have other sources, like wind, geothermal, etc.

I'm also waiting for scientists to splice electric eel genes into plants so we can just plug into trees.

yeah and i want to be able to fill my 'battery' with out having to wait a day on a trip.....i actually do have one friend, and if a actually gave a damn about seeing him again he lives 1600+ miles away....how many charges and time would that be? now if my 'exhaust' smelt like french fries i could do it!

300 miles to a full charge
45 minutes to charge from empty
You would need at least six total stops which would add approximately 4.5 hours to your overall trip.

I would say +4.5 hours on an otherwise multi-day trip isn't that bad for not having to pay for gas while in route. My RX was getting 22mpg on average, so let's bump that to 25 mpg for simple math. You will run through 64 gallons of gas, and with the national average at $2.86 you would pay about $185 in gas.

You would need at least six total stops which would add approximately 4.5 hours to your overall trip.

I would say +4.5 hours on an otherwise multi-day trip isn't that bad for not having to pay for gas while in route. My RX was getting 22mpg on average, so let's bump that to 25 mpg for simple math. You will run through 64 gallons of gas, and with the national average at $2.86 you would pay about $185 in gas.
Curious of you bought it private party or through a dealer that offered to transfer FUSC. If it was through a dealer you may want to watch your CC bill.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/165594/free-unlimited-supercharging-removed-without-notice/p5

It's a good thing we have other sources, like wind, geothermal, etc.

hippies aparently hate dams too.....i love them, lots of water, and power....i'd probably damn up every place there was running water.....

(and out curiosity, i'm going to google the american corn crop, and then figure 90% effec. and punch it into beersmith ;))

well a loose guess being the US grows 1.09 billion tons of corn a year figure a pound a gallon would get you a SG of 1.033, and 4.3% ABV...would be

11,717,500,000 gallons of ethanol....you probably have to stop eating meat, no biggy for me i like beans better anyway....

(and that's just quick guess feel free to check my work)

but just googled how much is used, still think it's better then electric....

In 2020, about 123.49 billion gallons (or about 2.94 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States,

growing ten times as much corn would be easier then all these electric contraptions....

Curious of you bought it private party or through a dealer that offered to transfer FUSC. If it was through a dealer you may want to watch your CC bill.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/165594/free-unlimited-supercharging-removed-without-notice/p5

Yup, private party.

The transfer order reads, on the app - for him, of course...

Once Completed

You will not be recognized as the owner.

The car will no longer appear under your account or in your app

Supercharging history will remain in your account

^ That last comment had us his the pause button real quick. While I think it simply means he can still view whatever his charging history was, we also questioned whether or not it would try and keep the supercharging to the account and not to the car. This would be a catastrophic problem if it stayed with him and not the car, so when I have my first service visit on Wednesday I am going to address this, too.

Anyways, I appreciate the link : )

ps: He has my Tesla account as an authorized user of the car which is still on his Telsa account.

hippies aparently hate dams too.....i love them, lots of water, and power....i'd probably damn up every place there was running water.....

Anglers also don't appreciate dams. They get in the way of migratory fish spawning.

(and out curiosity, i'm going to google the american corn crop, and then figure 90% effec. and punch it into beersmith ;))

well a loose guess being the US grows 1.09 billion tons of corn a year figure a pound a gallon would get you a SG of 1.033, and 4.3% ABV...would be

11,717,500,000 gallons of ethanol....you probably have to stop eating meat, no biggy for me i like beans better anyway....

I'm not going to check that math, but someone probably should.

I kind of like beef. Been eating it all my life. I also like dairy products. So does my toddler. He's been a fan of them for a couple of years now. Also, I have family members in the beef and dairy industry who kind of like what corn does for cattle.

But hey, you're just talking about what you personally like to eat.

Also, you're keeping all the acres tied into corn that already are, but you haven't replaced the calories that would have ended up being available to people after that corn had been processed by livestock.

You're cutting out all the milk and steak and not replacing it with anything people can eat.

growing ten times as much corn would be easier then all these electric contraptions....

Well, that's your opinion. We've made some compelling arguments for why that doesn't seem like a good idea.

In 2020, about 123.49 billion gallons (or about 2.94 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States,

I wonder what those numbers were in the aughts.

Yup, private party.

The transfer order reads, on the app - for him, of course...

Once Completed

You will not be recognized as the owner.

The car will no longer appear under your account or in your app

Supercharging history will remain in your account

^ That last comment had us his the pause button real quick. While I think it simply means he can still view whatever his charging history was, we also questioned whether or not it would try and keep the supercharging to the account and not to the car. This would be a catastrophic problem if it stayed with him and not the car, so when I have my first service visit on Wednesday I am going to address this, too.

Anyways, I appreciate the link : )

ps: He has my Tesla account as an authorized user of the car which is still on his Telsa account.
Man, I certainly hope the charging ability transfers over. Hopefully the upside is most people on that thread and the only person I’ve met with a similar issue all bought third party through a dealership.

Man, I certainly hope the charging ability transfers over. Hopefully the upside is most people on that thread and the only person I’ve met with a similar issue all bought third party through a dealership.

The factual information that I have is that it did transfer from owner 1 to owner 2, owner 2 to owner 3, and we are now on owner 3 to owner 4 (me). So, it's made it this far...

The US corn crop has been averaging around 13 billion bushels/year. Fifty-six pounds per bushel, 2.15 gallons of ethanol per bushel. Works out to just under 28 billion gallons of ethanol if the entire corn crop was converted. To produce enough ethanol to replace all the gasoline used in this country would require planting over 400 million acres, compared to the current 91 million. In reality, it would take around 500 million acres, or so, because ethanol contains a lot fewer BTUs than gasoline. There aren’t that many acres of arable land in North America, and most of the land suitable for corn production is already planted to corn. So, no, it wouldn’t be easy to grow 10 times as much corn. In fact, it wold be impossible.

The US corn crop has been averaging around 13 billion bushels/year. Fifty-six pounds per bushel, 2.15 gallons of ethanol per bushel. Works out to just under 28 billion gallons of ethanol if the entire corn crop was converted. To produce enough ethanol to replace all the gasoline used in this country would require planting over 400 million acres, compared to the current 91 million. In reality, it would take around 500 million acres, or so, because ethanol contains a lot fewer BTUs than gasoline. There aren’t that many acres of arable land in North America, and most of the land suitable for corn production is already planted to corn. So, no, it wouldn’t be easy to grow 10 times as much corn. In fact, it wold be impossible.

but, but.....think of all the carbon sequestering!

Also, the way corn is grown requires a lot of petroleum fuel. I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not growing corn takes more energy than the ethanol that can be made from it contains. The benefit of ethanol in gasoline is that it makes it burn cleaner. We used to use MTBE (Methyl tert-Butyl Ether) for that, but it is a ground water contamination disaster.

Brew on :mug:

Since more EVs are supporting V2L (Vehicle To Load) where you can use the car as a power source when parked, how long until we see someone with an electric brew setup drive out to a mountain stream and brew an electric batch of beer completely off-grid? :) Sure you could do that with a gas car and generator (or propane brew setup) but where's the fun in that?

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. :D

A 3000W system running 2hrs on an average brew day is 6kW.

It's doable with these packs, and they already interface with 240V at any level-2 charger...

Also, the way corn is grown requires a lot of petroleum fuel. I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not growing corn takes more energy than the ethanol that can be made from it contains. The benefit of ethanol in gasoline is that it makes it burn cleaner. We used to use MTBE (Methyl tert-Butyl Ether) for that, but it is a ground water contamination disaster.

Brew on :mug:

• Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTU."
  • Ethanol from corn costs about $1.74 per gallon to produce, compared with about 95 cents to produce a gallon of gasoline.
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/20... time you make 1,produce a gallon of gasoline.

Ethanol from corn costs about $1.74 per gallon to produce, compared with about 95 cents to produce a gallon of gasoline.

so not to bad..being i'm not green, just know we're going to run out of oil at some point, wondering about more realistic substitues....

so 80 cents more for ethanol a gallon? damn if i went back california it'd be over $5 for a gallon of gas, and it's only $2 here....(and a tank don't matter that much to me either way)

so not to bad..being i'm not green, just know we're going to run out of oil at some point, wondering about more realistic substitues....

so 80 cents more for ethanol a gallon? damn if i went back california it'd be over $5 for a gallon of gas, and it's only $2 here....(and a tank don't matter that much to me either way)

Our last governor here in Michigan tried to sell everyone on the idea of ethanol production. All we've got to show for it all these years later is a sign by US-127 North heading towards Mount Pleasant Michigan that says 'Future Home Of Michigan's Ethanol Production Plant!' and a quarter mile of railroad tracks that isn't even connected to any of the existing railways here in the state. And nobody seems to know where the money went. lol

But the trick is not to charge the battery to full since the last 30% takes twice as long as the first 70%. The car figures out the best places to stop and the optimal time to charge to take advantage of that. For instance, a trip I do regularly that used to take 10 hours (non stop) by gas car now takes me 11.5 hours (with charging) in my model S. But it comes out about the same either way since I never drove all the way without stopping for food or a break and that is when you charge. I just happen to have free charging but even if I didn't the cost would be about 1/3 that of gas. The absolute best part is the car does the driving. Basically you are just there as a systems monitor which means you can relax and take in the scenery and chill as opposed to always keeping it between the lines. It's amazing how much better you feel after long trips because of this.

I could never go back to a regular car.

Last edited:
But the trick is not to charge the battery to full since the last 30% takes twice as long as the first 70%. The car figures out the best places to stop and the optimal time to charge to take advantage of that. For instance, a trip I do regularly that used to take 10 hours (non stop) by gas car now takes me 11.5 hours (with charging) in my model S. But it comes out about the same either way since I never drove all the way without stopping for food or a break and that is when you charge. I just happen to have free charging but even if I didn't the cost would be about 1/3 that of gas. The absolute best part is the car does the driving. Basically you are just there as a systems monitor which means you can relax and take in the scenery and chill as opposed to always keeping it between the lines. It's amazing how much better you feel after long trips because of this.

Mine is full manual driving, no assistance. But yah I could imagine lane assist and fsd modes would be a huge game changer considering how much I hate other people on the road. Shitty drivers... For now, I'll blow their doors off "quietly"

Topping off the last 30% of charge does indeed take longer. That said, doesn't repeated partial charging "imprint" the battery to think the partial charge is actually 100%? IIRC this used to be an issue with NiCad batteries. Not sure if this is true with modern Nickel Metal Hydride power banks.

Topping off the last 30% of charge does indeed take longer. That said, doesn't repeated partial charging "imprint" the battery to think the partial charge is actually 100%? IIRC this used to be an issue with NiCad batteries. Not sure if this is true with modern Nickel Metal Hydride power banks.

The memory effect was true of NiCad and NiMH but is not a thing with lithium polymer chemistries such as NCA (LiNiCoAlO2) which is used in Tesla packs or NMC (LiNiMnCoO2) and LFP (LiFePO4) which are common in other EV's.

Last edited:
So in other words you can charge it to any level and it doesn't really matter all that much? Exception - as you reach 100% there is some concern, is there not?

My understanding is that repeated charging to 100% reduces the life of the battery more quickly than repeated charging to a lower level such as 80%. You can do it, but it's generally not advised to ALWAYS charge to 100%.

I.e. typical owners charge on their home charger during the night to only 80%, because in daily driving they never need more than that. Prior to a road trip, they may charge to 100% to get the most range they can get on the first leg of travel, but from there on they'll only charge to 70-80% at their pit stops to save charge time.

My understanding is that repeated charging to 100% reduces the life of the battery more quickly than repeated charging to a lower level such as 80%. You can do it, but it's generally not advised to ALWAYS charge to 100%.

I.e. typical owners charge on their home charger during the night to only 80%, because in daily driving they never need more than that. Prior to a road trip, they may charge to 100% to get the most range they can get on the first leg of travel, but from there on they'll only charge to 70-80% at their pit stops to save charge time.

Yes, that is correct. If you don't need to charge to even 70% for your daily driving it's said to be slightly better for battery longevity. I try to keep it between 20% and 60% SOC but thats just being picky.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - as a first time zipper, good information to have. I have no interest in using my home electricity to charge it, so I'll have to plan accordingly.

I parked it in my neighbor's garage on Saturday (not plugged in), and it had an estimated 145mi. I've been checking it daily, and we're at about 125mi three days later without it being plugged in...good information to have as well considering I don't drive daily. I'll need to know phantom loss and plan for that.

^ Anything BAD with not keeping it on a charger?

Back