Omega Saisonstein's Monster OYL-500 yeast, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blended this with Omega Saison II which is De Blaugies or similar. OG: 1.050 and FG: 1.005. 30 IBUs, with Motueka and Mandarina Bavaria BBC, all Pilsner and Bohemian Pilsner grain bill. Bottled 12 days from pitch. Already delicious 5 days in the bottle. The beer becomes better with time, so now after 5 weeks is even more delicious.
Can you share the recipe ?

Can you share the recipe ?

Sure.

Malt - 71.5% Weyermann Pilsner + 28.5% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner / Mash temperature was 65C/149F for 90 minutes / Boil time was 90 minutes
Hops - 25 gr Mandarina Bavaria BBC at 30 minutes / 25 gr Mandarina Bavaria BBC at 1 minutes + 75 gr Motueka at 1 minutes - around 30 IBU ( less hops than I normally would use, but turned out fine )
Water - Sulfate leaning mash and sparge water ( Sulfate anything between 100 and 200 ppm / Chloride anything between 50 and 100 ppm / Mg and Na at whatever levels you have in your water and Ca will be dependent on the amount of existent Ca in your starting plus whatever is added by the SO4 and CaCl2 ) / Mash pH was 5.3 after 30 minutes / Sparge water adjusted to 5.4 using minerals and phosphoric acid

This was a 23 liters batch, so almost 6.1 gallons of final beer that went in bottles. OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.005 resulting in a 90% apparent attenuation, which allowed me to bottle after 12 days from pitching yeast.

Pitch temperature was 19C/66F. Fermentation temperature was not controlled - I left the beer do its thing at room temperature, which was higher than 68F as this was in June. My notes say a peak of 26-27C / 79-80F for a couple of days. The rise from 19C to 25C took around 24 hours or so. Then 48 hours of intense fermentation and then it slowly cooled down. I believe FG was achieved in 5-6 days, max. I left it 12 days just because I had time.

saisonsteins monster has officially become my house saison strain. i'm now on generation 5 i believe, i'll squeeze a few more batches out of this pitch before refreshing. i like it's flexibility (tolerates a lot of temps without stalling), it's taste (after some conditioning*) and it dependability (ever since my second batch i've been guessing at how much i'm pitching yet the beers have all turned out great).

*in case any newcomers didn't see this on the previous page: IMO the secret to this yeast is to let it cold-condition (lager) for a few weeks before enjoying. once it rests and clears it becomes a different, and superior, beer.

Back