Omega OYL-501 Gulo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody tried this yet?

I heard about it on the Brut IPA thread. It's a brand new hybrid yeast and is supposed to attenuate to 85-90%. Anyway, I'm really into the process of brewing of brewing and am always looking for something new and/or unusual, so when I popped over to the LHBS I was pleased to see they'd just received a delivery from Omega that morning and hadn't even inventoried it yet. I waited while they unpacked it. There were two OYL-501s in the shipment. I had to snag one on the spot.

So, here I am with this pack of Gulo with little idea how best to use it. Just wondering if I'm the first, or if anyone can give me some guidance. The Omega website had an interesting recipe for a "raw" NEIPA that didn't include a boil!

https://omegayeast.com/raw-neipa-with-gulo-ale

You mash, sparge, raise the wort to 180F and whirlpool the hops ("Do not boil"), chill and pitch the yeast. Hhmm. Let me think about that one....

Brooo Brother

Back