Omega Saisonstein's Monster OYL-500 yeast, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I recently discovered a new LHBS that carries Omega yeast. I see there is an Omega Saisonstein's Monster OYL-500 yeast which is supposed to be a hybrid of both the French and Belgian strains.

Has anyone used this yeast?

Id' like to give it a try, but I don't want to risk a 10 gallon batch on it unless I know it's a good strain especially since 5 gallon is for a friend's party!

I'm afraid I've not used it but just picked it up on a whim myself. So I'm going to tag along on this as I'm hoping to brew using this in the next couple of weeks.

I have used it several times and it is my go-to for saisons now. It is pretty much the best parts of both saison strains, with a complex flavor profile of spice, mild phenolics, slight tartness, subtle citrus and can express bubble gum-ish flavors as well. It is a diastaticus strain so it will ferment out very dry and very rapidly without stalling around 1.030 like the Belgian saison strain is notorious for.

Don't hesitate to use it, it is a fantastic strain!

Did a saison with it last year, using Boulevard's Tank 7 grainbill as a base. Scored a 36 at Schooner. FG was 1.001 so it came out much bigger than I initially expected. It was a split batch, with the other half getting 3031, which only went down to 1.005.
I should brew that beer again . . .

I have used it several times and it is my go-to for saisons now. It is pretty much the best parts of both saison strains, with a complex flavor profile of spice, mild phenolics, slight tartness, subtle citrus and can express bubble gum-ish flavors as well. It is a diastaticus strain so it will ferment out very dry and very rapidly without stalling around 1.030 like the Belgian saison strain is notorious for.

Don't hesitate to use it, it is a fantastic strain!

Great. This is what I was hoping for. The best of both strains!

I just pitched this saisonstein's monster yeast in a 1.057 hoppy saison this saturday evening. Temp range is listed at 65-78 on Omega. My goal is for the esters to be present, but not to overpower the hops. My plan was to keep the fermentation temp (actual carboy temp, not ambient) at 72 for the first 3 days of initial fermentation then raise up to 78 and let sit (two weeks total primary time before keg / dry hop).

I should note that I made a 3.5L starter (stir plate) and pitched a healthy amount of yeast for an 11 gallon batch. I noticed that the starter took off very quickly, and formed a very stubborn layer of krausen within 12 hours that didn’t want to drop. I gently rocked the starter and the krausen fell. This appears to be a heavy top cropper and poor floculator). The starter reeked of bubblegum, no fusel or hot aroma. Just lots of estery goodness.

This is what’s happened since pitching the yeast in the carboys:

pitched @ 68 on Saturday night, carboy rose to 72 within a few hours and showed first signs of activity within 5 hours.

There was a very dense layer of krausen by Sunday morning (similar to the starter’s behavior). However, The speed of fermentation has stayed very slow/stagnant from Sunday morning to this Monday morning. This morning (Monday), I've increased my temp probe setting in the carboy a few degrees warmer to 75 and am going to let it rise up (also rocked the carboy gently to kick the yeast from the top back into suspension).

I’ll report back after this thing is kegged and carbonated with the FG results and tasting notes. I mashed low at 148 and am aiming for 90% attenuation…we’ll see if I hit it. (grain bill was all pils with a touch of wheat for head retention)

I blended this with Omega Saison II which is De Blaugies or similar. OG: 1.050 and FG: 1.005. 30 IBUs, with Motueka and Mandarina Bavaria BBC, all Pilsner and Bohemian Pilsner grain bill. Bottled 12 days from pitch. Already delicious 5 days in the bottle. The beer becomes better with time, so now after 5 weeks is even more delicious.

I used it a while ago, but I can't say I remember anything salient about the outcome.

In other words, tasted like a saison, but no remarkable characteristics. I had used 3711 quite a lot before that and was getting tired of the peppery, dry French saison. My personal preference is for more body; this yeast did that.

I just pitched this saisonstein's monster yeast in a 1.057 hoppy saison this saturday evening. Temp range is listed at 65-78 on Omega. My goal is for the esters to be present, but not to overpower the hops. My plan was to keep the fermentation temp (actual carboy temp, not ambient) at 72 for the first 3 days of initial fermentation then raise up to 78 and let sit (two weeks total primary time before keg / dry hop).

I should note that I made a 3.5L starter (stir plate) and pitched a healthy amount of yeast for an 11 gallon batch. I noticed that the starter took off very quickly, and formed a very stubborn layer of krausen within 12 hours that didn’t want to drop. I gently rocked the starter and the krausen fell. This appears to be a heavy top cropper and poor floculator). The starter reeked of bubblegum, no fusel or hot aroma. Just lots of estery goodness.

This is what’s happened since pitching the yeast in the carboys:

pitched @ 68 on Saturday night, carboy rose to 72 within a few hours and showed first signs of activity within 5 hours.

There was a very dense layer of krausen by Sunday morning (similar to the starter’s behavior). However, The speed of fermentation has stayed very slow/stagnant from Sunday morning to this Monday morning. This morning (Monday), I've increased my temp probe setting in the carboy a few degrees warmer to 75 and am going to let it rise up (also rocked the carboy gently to kick the yeast from the top back into suspension).

I’ll report back after this thing is kegged and carbonated with the FG results and tasting notes. I mashed low at 148 and am aiming for 90% attenuation…we’ll see if I hit it. (grain bill was all pils with a touch of wheat for head retention)

Just kegged it today...final gravity was 1.002!!! 96.3% Attenuation. Driest beer I've ever made.

The hydrometer sample tasted extremely fruity with lots of bubblegum and a hint of peppery. The perceived sweetness is much higher than would be expected from the extremely low final gravity. Granted, the sample was from the bottom of the fermenter and very yeasty.

I'll report back in two weeks after dry hopping and conditioning is complete. Very promising at this stage though!

I made a very basic Saison with it last month. It is delicious. Very dry and slightly peppery, with just a hint of that bubblegum sweetness. OG: 1.050 to FG: 1.001. This is my favorite Saison strain that I have used so far. The last one i tried was B56 Rustic which i hated, way too much bubblegum.

Just kegged it today...final gravity was 1.002!!! 96.3% Attenuation. Driest beer I've ever made.

The hydrometer sample tasted extremely fruity with lots of bubblegum and a hint of peppery. The perceived sweetness is much higher than would be expected from the extremely low final gravity. Granted, the sample was from the bottom of the fermenter and very yeasty.

I'll report back in two weeks after dry hopping and conditioning is complete. Very promising at this stage though!

Just pulled my first sample after burst carbing for 24 hours.

Lots and lots of bubblegum. I did dry hop this one with 2.5oz Motueka & 1.5oz Belma. The hops and yeast character are blending very nicely. Tastes very similar to the Ardennes yeast. Kind of in between a saison & a belgian blonde yeast. Surprisingly the beer still has a perception of some residual sweetness even with the low 1.002 FG.

Tasting like a delicious Belgian IPA at this stage.

I'm sure the flavors will change over the next few weeks. Will report back again as the beer matures.

beer.PNG
beer.PNG
Gotta say this yeast made a very tasty brew

Was pretty clear before dry hopping. The clouding is from the motueka and belma.

The bubblegum has now faded and I'm getting a nice refreshing tartness from the yeast that is complimenting the motueka very well.

Not as dramatic of a yeast profile as a dupont, but delicious none the less.

Working really well as a belgian ipa style right now.

Looking forward to seeing how the profile changes over time

Last edited:
I used it a couple years ago. It does as promised: blend the peppery French and estery Belgian. I thought it was good but I haven't reused.

Update: The yeast profile of the finished beer has changed again. It is now tasting incredibly similar to a Dupont to the point I probably couldn't tell the strains apart in a blind test. This is especially apparent if I let the beer warm up a few degrees.

I'm ready to brew with this yeast on Saturday. Would you recommend holding temp at 72F for 3 days then go to 78F for the remainder?

I'm ready to brew with this yeast on Saturday. Would you recommend holding temp at 72F for 3 days then go to 78F for the remainder?

I pitched at 68 kept it there for a day. Then brought it up to 72 for another day. Then let it rise naturally to 76 for the rest of fermentation. It was fantastic.

Think you will be fine with keeping at 72 first three days, but keep an eye on it. If it starts to slow bring it up.

I pitched cooler at 68, but 72 likely ok

I used this yeast when I did a split batch of my Saison. Used da Minster, 565, and Bootleg’s Saison Parfait blend.
I really liked this yeast. There are only a few Saison yeasts that I really didn’t like. I generally pitch at 68, and wait for it to get going. That is 24hrs usually. I then let it rise on its own. I have a large cardboard box and a ceramic heater. I cut a hole with a scrap piece of 10” duct. I use it w a spare controller to heat if needed. I’m not a jack the temp Saison brewer. They get there on their own with the right wort and active pitch. I like Rustic, Monster, and 565. 565 is still slightly my favorite. Good luck with it, I’m sure you’ll like it.

I'm sure the flavors will change over the next few weeks. Will report back again as the beer matures.
The bubblegum has now faded and I'm getting a nice refreshing tartness from the yeast that is complimenting the motueka very well.
(...)
Looking forward to seeing how the profile changes over time
Update: The yeast profile of the finished beer has changed again. It is now tasting incredibly similar to a Dupont to the point I probably couldn't tell the strains apart in a blind test.
#1 thing i've learned about this yeast and the beer it makes: IT CHANGES AND IMPROVES OVER TIME. when my latest brew of Saisonstein was first tapped it was unremarkable. i'd have a taste, then quickly turn to something else. after a month of cold conditioning it literally became a different, and better, beer. i have another batch of Saisonstein in primary right now, once kegged i'm not even going to touch it until it's had at least a month of lagering. if i had to guess, i'd say it has to do with the yeast flocc'ing out - maybe i'll try fining with gelatin this time to see if that gets it to it's better state faster.

#1 thing i've learned about this yeast and the beer it makes: IT CHANGES AND IMPROVES OVER TIME. when my latest brew of Saisonstein was first tapped it was unremarkable. i'd have a taste, then quickly turn to something else. after a month of cold conditioning it literally became a different, and better, beer. i have another batch of Saisonstein in primary right now, once kegged i'm not even going to touch it until it's had at least a month of lagering. if i had to guess, i'd say it has to do with the yeast flocc'ing out - maybe i'll try fining with gelatin this time to see if that gets it to it's better state faster.

This yeast resulted in the best beer I have ever brewed... that's all I know :cool:

Agreed that letting it condition for a few weeks will yield a more traditional saison dupont type profile. When it was very young it tasted like a bubblegum bomb which faded almost completely after conditioning.

I also liked it when it was younger, but I also had a very heavy dry hop addition in this batch. It hit a sweet spot for me after three weeks in the keg.

Last edited:
Just pitched two packs of this in a 1.045 OG Saison at 72 degrees now.

Any idea how long to leave in the fermenter? Planning on dry hopping with Vic Secret and Waimea

Just raise the temp after 3 days. 10 days total in fermentor should be plenty

I usually let stuff go for two weeks though. Mostly because I brew on weekends and keg on weekends. This one takes time for the flavors to develop anyway. So letting it go the full two weeks before dry hopping probably makes sense. That way the hop flavors are still strong by the time the yeasty flavors clean up.

Just raise the temp after 3 days. 10 days total in fermentor should be plenty

I usually let stuff go for two weeks though. Mostly because I brew on weekends and keg on weekends. This one takes time for the flavors to develop anyway. So letting it go the full two weeks before dry hopping probably makes sense. That way the hop flavors are still strong by the time the yeasty flavors clean up.
I'm planning on fermenting at 72 for 1 day, 75 for 2 days, and 77 for the rest of the time.

I'm fairly new to brewing and this is my first time with a Saison yeast. Do you know if I dry hop at 70 after fermentation, will I have to increase the temp for a diacetyl rest?

I'm planning on fermenting at 72 for 1 day, 75 for 2 days, and 77 for the rest of the time.

I'm fairly new to brewing and this is my first time with a Saison yeast. Do you know if I dry hop at 70 after fermentation, will I have to increase the temp for a diacetyl rest?

Raising to 77 is basically the same thing as a diacetyl rest. I dry hop in the keg, but have a pretty intense regimen of flushing out the oxygen in my process. If dry hopping in primary you are better off adding before you raise the temp so active fermentation can absorb some of the residual O2. Are you kegging or bottling?

Raising to 77 is basically the same thing as a diacetyl rest. I dry hop in the keg, but have a pretty intense regimen of flushing out the oxygen in my process. If dry hopping in primary you are better off adding before you raise the temp so active fermentation can absorb some of the residual O2. Are you kegging or bottling?
I've just read stuff on hop creep, not sure if this pertains to saison yeast.

However I'm using a spike brewing flex. I've dry hopped 8 batches with a 4 oz dry hop and used cellar science silafine to help drop everything out before kegging.

I've just read stuff on hop creep, not sure if this pertains to saison yeast.

However I'm using a spike brewing flex. I've dry hopped 8 batches with a 4 oz dry hop and used cellar science silafine to help drop everything out before kegging.

Saison yeast is going to attenuate over 90+%

Hop creep should not be a concern as there will be almost no sugars left

Also saisons are supposed to be highly carbonated so hop creep wouldn't be a bad thing for the style

Saison yeast is going to attenuate over 90+%

Hop creep should not be a concern as there will be almost no sugars left

Also saisons are supposed to be highly carbonated so hop creep wouldn't be a bad thing for the style
Oh that's right, I forgot about the attenuation.

Thanks for the help

I used it once last year in a Saison, which is a style I also have only brewed that one time. As others have observed in this thread, it eats EVERYTHING. My FG was 0.001. The beer was over-carbonated too, so I kinda wondered if I had an infection! I pretty much ruined the beer with too much Grains of Paradise - between that and the uber-dryness I got really tired of drinking it. Had to force the last few bottles down *urp*
That said, I might try it again.

Latest posts

Back