Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...for you hazy haters, here's some fuel for you. I went to a local brewery that I really like (and I've met and like/respect the brewer) and they had a NEIPA and a west coast IPA on the menu...clearly labeled.

My wife got the NEIPA and I ordered the west coast IPA. The west coast was deliciously bitter yet very juice-hop flavor forward. It was really a spectacular beer but any NEIPA hater would have been mortified as it's really a fusion of the styles and, interestingly enough, exactly the style I had planned for my next IPA. Here's what it looks like:

20200109_182438.jpg

Modern west coast is kinda that nowadays.
Had a bunch of things like that in San Diego a few months ago.
I prefer classic west coast IPAs.
This thread has definitely run its course I guess.
We all know where we stand and to each their own

Modern west coast is kinda that nowadays.
Had a bunch of things like that in San Diego a few months ago.
I prefer classic west coast IPAs.
This thread has definitely run its course I guess.
We all know where we stand and to each their own
Pretty sure that conclusion could have been drawn from the first page of this thread, nay, before it even started.

The rest is a few who take themselves too seriously and the rest of us having a laugh.

So, point of order here: if I really needed to fill a hole in my keezer and did an accelerated (but not burst) carb of a classically constructed and brewed WCIPA such that the keg got roiled and is a good week or so short of bright...

Should it be immediately launched towards the Sun...or will the Loyal Association of Haze Haters abide, under "original intent"?

Cheers! (Asking for a friend :D)

So, point of order here: if I really needed to fill a hole in my keezer and did an accelerated (but not burst) carb of a classically constructed and brewed WCIPA such that the keg got roiled and is a good week or so short of bright...

Should it be immediately launched towards the Sun...or will the Loyal Association of Haze Haters abide, under "original intent"?

A good WCIPA would not be flabby and fruity even if it was still a little cloudy. That is the difference.

whozyourfriend.jpeg

lmao! I can't keep up with that at this late hour :D

So, OK, not like it should be a surprise to anyone that's been around these parts for long, but it's a fact I love the juice!
But...I brewed face-ripper WCIPAs for years before the NEIPA rage. I mean, 100+ IBUs (on paper, anyways) major mouth pucker eye squinshing stuff, mostly using my own home grown Chinook, Centennial and Cascade, and my sons and I loved 'em (Spousal Unit...not so much. She's a "delicate flower" when it comes to beer :D)

The second keg of this WCIPA should be brite on its ~second pour as it'll have a couple of weeks settling time on the clock.
In the meantime we're enjoying a slightly hazy version :)

Cheers!

Good idea - if by "momma's milk" you mean the 12% ABV stout I've been sipping that's about two minutes from kicking my a$$ into bed...

Cheers! :D
Yes. Typically momma's milk has been BMC...

In this thread it can be the joosy-juice murk-i'an'teel'its 'ipa. It's trendy to like IPAs until you taste the real thing.

This beer was fire, but someone from this thread is going to need a combover when they pick it up thinking it's a clear bitter IPA and have an aneurism
IMG_4722.jpg

Last edited:
Hazebro trigger warning.

Yes, I did brew a historical IPA at a historically accurate gravity. It is 120ish calculated IBUs, and will be aged on Brett C in a SECONDARY for 4 months. It will be bone dry and crystal clear!

(Disclaimer: I do actually like good hazies. Just playin with everyone. But I am really making this beer.)

20200307_180822.jpg

Please just let this thread die.

LOL, now i've got to keep 'please delete' on my mind to post in....

and honestly, i only use 1.5-2oz's hops in a 10 gallon batch, and i manage to make cloudy beer everytime! i just don't look at it much, and glad it still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside! :D

Back