Making clear IPA again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Second bottle of my latest using S33. Centennial, mosaic, Idaho 7. Some nice fruit from the mosaic and I7, but heavier pine and citrus (which I like). Shocked that S33 dropped this clear with whirlfloc being my only fining. I also usually have chill haze but this is after maybe 2-3 days in the fridge.
Interesting. With my split batch of US-05 vs S-33, the US-05 batch was pretty clear at maybe 10 days in the keg, where the S-33 had a bit of a powdery haze for about 14 days. Now at 18 days in the keg they both have dropped very clear. This is just a Pale Ale - 93% Pale + 7% C-40, hopped with Amarillo.

Edit to add Tasting Notes: US-05 hit 78% attenuation (1.012) and is a typical clean American yeast character that lets the hops and grain shine. It is what I have grown to expect in an American Pale Ale (though it came in at around 6.1% which is bigger than I like a Pale Ale). The S-33 hit 68% attenuation (1.018) and has more yeast character that I would describe as fruity with an apricot note. It has a touch more sweetness. Drinking a pint of this beer is rather filling. I am not a huge fan of S-33 in this specific beer, but I could see it in a lower gravity beer to retain some body or maybe with some recipe tweaks to boost the "digestibility" (maybe a lower mash temp and/or swapping the Crystal for something else). I could see why people list this as a good NEIPA yeast.

US-05 vs S-33.jpg

Last edited:

CaddyWampus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sure! It was pretty basic. I'm one of those guys that still likes crystal malts, and 40L is my go-to. I'm not a fan of pushing all hop additions to after the boil and have sorta landed on 15/5m addition while still using a hopstand
View attachment 729346

I undershot my OG for about 4points and ended up at 1.060. FG 1.015. Mashed at 150 for a full hour. I use a tilt and dry hopped when it showed about 80-90% done. There was definitely still fermentation taking place, and the hops stayed in the fermenter for 7-8 days before I bottled. I'm still working out kinks in that process for myself, but that seems to be working so far.
Thanks! I too like a little crystal in my IPAs. Celebration by Sierra Nevada will always be one of my favorites.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! I too like a little crystal in my IPAs. Celebration by Sierra Nevada will always be one of my favorites.
Mine too. And I like color. Shrug.
I might be a bit light on IBU for some folks, but 50-60 is generally enough for me. I'm not completely sure how accurate beersmith is at calculating the additions after the boil, so I just roll with it.

Interesting. With my split batch of US-05 vs S-33, the US-05 batch was pretty clear at maybe 10 days in the keg, where the S-33 had a bit of a powdery haze for about 14 days. Now at 18 days in the keg they both have dropped very clear. This is just a Pale Ale - 93% Pale + 7% C-40, hopped with Amarillo.

View attachment 729347
Looks nice. Seems like you'd be hard pressed to tell one from the other. I think I will be taking a little break from brewing IPAs for a couple months to sneak in some other styles, but I think verdant IPA yeast is next on the list. I have a packet of K97 toiling away in the fridge that I keep meaning to use in an alt, but that might get used up too.

OP
InspectorJon

InspectorJon

Reaction score
Here is a Yellow Rose Clone (Pilsner/mosaic SMaSH) that is coming around nicely. I bottled it one month ago. There is a little haze from the dryhop but this is a nice easy one that tastes great. Recipe Here

My hop (all Yakima Valley 2020 Mosaic) schedule was slightly different. For 3.5 gallons:
10g 60 min
20g 20 min
25g 5 min
28g 20 steep/whirlpool starting at 170
35g 2 day dryhop after cold crash and raised back up to 55
1622675767250.jpeg