What happened to IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All stereotypes regarding murrican diet proven true in one single pic plus replies to it :D
Easy there feller - 🤣

sauerbraten.jpg

(Übrigens, meine Familie und ich lieben deutsches Essen und kochen es regelmäßig, und ich backe wöchentlich mehrere Laibe deutsches Brot. meine Familie stammt aus Deutschland. Aus fünf Jahrhunderten!)

when the trend of double IPAs craze hit the market, I was like ok much a much more hoppy beer and the malt was still there but the abv was probably a little high, the market saying wait a minute i don't want to drink two beers and equal a six pack. the session ipa came along and i thought this was the dumbest thing to come onto the market, a bland beer hopped up water essentially (and bittered water doesn't really quench the palate). at this point every brewery was making an ipa of some sort for customer base and they sell; all the while very few breweries really made a standout one. almost seems like some sort of school yard game i can make it more hoppy and citrusy orangy tangeriny enter what ever advertised flavor.

I never got into the ipa craze, I will stick with the mainstays in my opinion, Dog Fish Head, sierra nevada, two hearted, probably a couple of others but for lighter side i will always pick up summit APA

Eventually I think the market will shift away from the hop craze (which in my opinion has gone on long enough) the youngins will see the actual diverse of different beer and will proceed buying something else.

and an after thought, wish i could find a Lion Stout from Sri Lanka.

I threw up minutes after this picture was taken (2009, Alaska). Arrogant Bastard is NOT meant to be drunk from the bottle!

EDIT: It's actually Double Bastard. Even worse!
There were many a Sunday morning that I could be found dragging the ball diamond prepping for a game nursing a hangover with an arrogant bastard 22 in my hand. Did wonders to chase away the headache, but nothing to help hydrate (that was the gallon of water and 2-32 oz Gatorades).
Ah to back to being dumb and in my 20's again. (Now just dumb)

I drink homebrew now almost exclusively, but in prehistoric times, my regular beer was Ballentine India Pale Ale. They spelled it out back then, before IPA was a thing. Sierra Nevada became my go to for a while after that, though I liked Lagunitas too.

Last time I bought a 'craft' IPA, in a fancy bottle for high dollars, with an essay on the back of label in small writing about how much care the expert brewers put into the brew...it tasted more like a bouquet of flowers than beer. It's even harder to find a really good store bought lager though.

I drink homebrew now almost exclusively, but in prehistoric times, my regular beer was Ballentine India Pale Ale. They spelled it out back then, before IPA was a thing. Sierra Nevada became my go to for a while after that, though I liked Lagunitas too.

Last time I bought a 'craft' IPA, in a fancy bottle for high dollars, with an essay on the back of label in small writing about how much care the expert brewers put into the brew...it tasted more like a bouquet of flowers than beer. It's even harder to find a really good store bought lager though.
I don't know how far they are distributed, but I've been really impressed by Jack's Abby for lagers.

(Porch Fest has "modern" hops I don't care for, and I thought "copper* lager" more apt than "munich dunkel" for Red Tape, but generally very good )

*edit: It was previously called "amber lager" - I was confusing it with "copper legend"

Last edited:
I don't know how far they are distributed, but I've been really impressed by Jack's Abby for lagers.

(Porch Fest has "modern" hops I don't care for, and I thought "copper lager" more apt than "munich dunkel" for Red Tape, but generally very good )

I tried several Jack Abby's offerings, in a 'mixed flavor' pack a few years back and thought they were drinkable but only just, or if you had already had a few. However, I had some their "House Lager" recently and thought it was quite good. I'd buy it again, but have not seen it for sale where I live, but then again, I don't get out much. Fortunately plenty of good beer at home.

Feel like I could have written this myself.

WELL. . . . The very reason I first started brewing beer was because I could not reliably get whatn I wanted in a beer. I can buy Sierra Nevada every day, and Two Hearted as well - So old school is at my finger tips. If they disappear - I have and can make reasonoble facimilies. I rarely buy or bother with "new" styles anymore. Tootie Fruity Sludge beer ruined THAT for me some time ago. The couple of "New" or "Cold" items I tried were wholey underwhelming. But the concept was cool, so I am working on a variation to suit my personal tastes. I did have a couple of "Brut" IPA's when that was a thing, that were very good, but of course they went away in a hurry. I can get pretty close to them at home If i get a hankering.

The current state of the bottle shop is a little sad - too many "trendy" and not enough for drinking. The age of 8-10% everything and "cold" "Pastry" "Imperial" "Hazy" taking up all the domestic shelf space. I also see a LOT of them gathering dust! Cool thing is; Bunches of imports that used to move SLOWLY from the shelves now turn over quickly, and suddenly I can buy tasty classic imports with much less fear of getting an old stale skunky unit. One change alaways brings another!

And all said and done - I can generally cure all my beer angst with a good brew day or two! That is the whole point I think.

I have never worried about styles or conforming to someone else's criteria. I don't get that at all. It's like trying to be the best Michael Jackson impersonator. I do understand trying to make beers similar to factory beers, so they can be improved or just because it's nice to have 5 gallons on tap, with an ingredient cost of $30.

I bought a Harley once, and they started sending me invitations to join a ridiculous owner's club. We've all seen other people on the road, with silly chin beards, shaved heads, rags on their heads, tattoos, and pretend biker outfits. Dentists and grocery store managers, pretending to be bad boys. A guy who fixed the AC in my house told me he was a "biker." No, he was an AC guy who owned a motorcycle. He would have been pounded if actual bikers had seen him wearing their stuff.

I never got into it. Never wanted to go to Sturgis or Daytona. That stuff is juvenile. I bought a motorcycle I thought was neat. I wasn't buying a cult. I never bought into any kind of beer cult, either. I just like good beer.

The complaints about judges are amusing to me, because I knew, from being old and knowing human nature well, that things like this were happening. I don't have to submit beers to 20 competitions to know many judges aren't fair or skilled, because that's how human beings are. Everyone witnesses judged competitions. We interview for jobs. We watch sporting events. We see famous trials. We know unfairness and stupidity are all around us. Life is basically an Ayn Rand novel, and acceptance by the majority is often a sign you're doing everything wrong.

I haven't bought beer in a store since some time last year. I would have to see something pretty interesting before I would buy store beer again.

Back