Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, look at this shat from a beer I poured today. I think the other ones were clear? Not sure but this is the kind of lack of attention to quality that we can all agree sucks.View attachment 654063

Is that a "Rome City IPA"? The can at the bottom of the pic sure looks like it. And when I had this beer it shat in my glass too!

upload_2019-11-26_8-24-53.png

So glad I called them. Super cool guys. They won gabf with that, pretty impressive. They offered to send a sixer right away and I didn't ask for that or anything. He said its an unfortunate part of this recipe, if the beer sits to long that happens. The can was from june. They dont want to change recipe though, cant blaim them after winning gabf. He said their helles won silver this year and another got a bronze. Their response was first class and I will try the helles and have no problem giving a fresh can a try. Super class organization, good on them.

So glad I called them. Super cool guys. They won gabf with that, pretty impressive. They offered to send a sixer right away and I didn't ask for that or anything. He said its an unfortunate part of this recipe, if the beer sits to long that happens. The can was from june. They dont want to change recipe though, cant blaim them after winning gabf. He said their helles won silver this year and another got a bronze. Their response was first class and I will try the helles and have no problem giving a fresh can a try. Super class organization, good on them.
Steam works flagship won best IPA in bc and regularly looks exactly like that. Cheers

Just to add a data-point to this conversation: I was in Des Moines over Labor Day. Ordered an "American Pale Ale" at a place, and was served a glass of opaque "juiciness"! No mention in the description of the beer anywhere that this was a "juice bomb".

This is a reason why descriptors exist... if I ordered an IPA five years ago and I was served a beer that looked like a stout or schwarzbier, I would send it back-- oh wait, CDA or Black IPA would have been used to describe it!

Name these beers "juicies" or "sippy cup" or whatever... but let the consumer have an idea of what they are getting into!

I wanted to go back to the source and give credit to your inspiration for my Sippy Cup of Blood milkshake IPA. I like clear IPAs as much as the next guy, but this cloudy mess came out really well! Thank you!

I'm brewing a hazy right now. I think places just need to do a better job saying if it is a NEIPA or west coast style. Generally if I don't know the beer I assume its a NEIPA now. It pretty rare to see a west coast or even more so a english style IPA.

Just got my flex+ today.
Wife got me a tilt hydrometer for Christmas.
Need to set up my SS brewtech 1v with my bag.
Need to clean/passivate all that stuff and test with water. I have 2 new unopened corny kegs.
All this shiny stuff is piling up!
Need to brew a clear boi west coasty bitter friend!

Just got my flex+ today.
Wife got me a tilt hydrometer for Christmas.
Need to set up my SS brewtech 1v with my bag.
Need to clean/passivate all that stuff and test with water. I have 2 new unopened corny kegs.
All this shiny stuff is piling up!
Need to brew a clear boi west coasty bitter friend!

Good score!!!!

Passivation is great first time activity. Makes for a nice shiny thing to admire with a beer when you're all done. Staring in amazement that you now own one.

Did this with my new Mash Tun and HLT. I could almost shave from these.

The last picture of the TIG weld shows you how shiny these were out of the box.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191014211721096.jpeg
IMG_20191014_212048.jpeg
IMG_20191014_211957.jpeg
IMG_20191020_232427.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes cold and snowy and also dirty window, all around bad. No, I think it was juicy bits base, mosaic, simcoe, el dorado with galaxy ddh. Juicy bits is a better tasting recipe imo.
Looks cold outside lol. Was Galaxy the only hops in that beer?

When NEIPAs originated, they didn't want to create a hazy beer. They wanted to create a beer loaded with hop flavor....particularly some of the modern (at the time) hops that featured a very fruit forward flavor profile. The haze just came with the process.

Yet somewhere along the way someone thought it was a good idea to start adding flour to the recipe to deliberately make it cloudy?

Yet somewhere along the way someone thought it was a good idea to start adding flour to the recipe to deliberately make it cloudy?

As a general rule, good examples of the style don't do that. Given the pavlovian response to hazy beers these days, there may be some brewers (home and pro) who add flour in the common but mistaken concept that if some haze is good, more is better.

The bottom line for me personally? If it tastes good and smells good, it's good. I don't need haze, but I don't let it keep me from drinking tasty beer. If adding flour somehow makes it taste better, smell better or perhaps give it a better mouthfeel, I'm fine with it. If it's just done to make it murkier, I'll leave that for the less discerning beer drinkers.

As a general rule, good examples of the style don't do that. Given the pavlovian response to hazy beers these days, there may be some brewers (home and pro) who add flour in the common but mistaken concept that if some haze is good, more is better.

The bottom line for me personally? If it tastes good and smells good, it's good. I don't need haze, but I don't let it keep me from drinking tasty beer. If adding flour somehow makes it taste better, smell better or perhaps give it a better mouthfeel, I'm fine with it. If it's just done to make it murkier, I'll leave that for the less discerning beer drinkers.

i think you used the right words when you said “pavlovian response” and your response reads that way as well.

LOL...
27 pages. some heated. Not sure what was meant to be taken seriously here. As one example; adding flour to your beer to emulate haze? That's just to farkken stupid for words.....

LOL...
27 pages. some heated. Not sure what was meant to be taken seriously here. As one example; adding flour to your beer to emulate haze? That's just to farkken stupid for words.....
Do people really do that?

I thought Copious Amounts of Hops in the whirlpool did that, along with, not having a good break, boil to chill, and the use of flaked wheat or adjuncts.

Or By flour, you're thinking poor vorlauf.

Not Boris Vorlauf he doesn't like joosy IPAs.

This is his expression when he orders an IPA in Boston. .... and they bring him a joosy beer.
boris_growls_0.jpeg

I always just laugh at the joose heads who think they know everything about beer when in reality they know very little and do not have refined palattes.
If you enjoy hazebois but cannot appreciate a really good west coast clear IPA I can't take your opinion about ANY beer seriously

I always just laugh at the joose heads who think they know everything about beer when in reality they know very little and do not have refined palattes.
If you enjoy hazebois but cannot appreciate a really good west coast clear IPA I can't take your opinion about ANY beer seriously
Appreciate beer for what it is. Aversion to hazy for clarity's sake is dumb. Aversion to clarity becuase OMGHAZE4DAYZ is equally dumb. Drink what tastes [and smells] good.

I'm just pretty certain a lot of your modern "craft" drinkers don't actually like....beer. Hence all the additives to as far remove it from beer as possible.

That doesnt make sense now does it. I mean what if I only liked, drank, and brewed stout. Or what if I only drank gluten free. Wouldnt my opinion on gluten free be worthwhile. But thats not why it doesnt make sense. I am witholding the real reason it makes no sense for fear of a pizza rant! ;)

Back