Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: What's the proper definition of hazy? (Do not use Cloudy, Murky or Turbid in your definition.)

Answer: Polluted. Adjectives include - made unclean or impure; contaminated; tainted.

Clear IPA's all the way! It's awesome to see what's NOT there! Cheers [emoji481]

Your Answer is Incorrect. Defective NEIPAs are cloudy murky, turbid, unclean, impure, contaminated and otherwise tainted.

However NEIPA ≠ IPA

20years old ?? It must have been a well kept secret.[...]

John Kimmich and Greg Noonan were brewing hazy hoppy IPAs in the mid-90s (Vermont Pub and Brewery) well before there was an "Alchemist" or Hill Farmstead. It did not take off as back then the troglodytes wanted their beer clear - like the macros they grew up on...

Cheers!

The problem with NEIPA's is that there is no sign of them "clearing up" anytime soon.

NEIPA is not a style, it's a niche .Is it brewed by inbev, Heineken, Kirin ? of course not.Hefeweizen is hazy because a few centuries ago there were no centrifuge so hazy beer was the norm. A beer style ( BJCP should remember that ) originated because of the location ( ice caves in Bavaria ) , local ingredients , or specific techniques. Not because some guy wanted to create a hazy concoction in New england.
"They are adding a bunch of flaked wheat and oats." You just described a beer style brewed in Belgium ... 500 years ago . NE brewers didn't invented anything.
scaledPieter_Bruegel_.jpg

NEIPA is not a style, it's a niche .Is it brewed by inbev, Heineken, Kirin ? of course not.Hefeweizen is hazy because a few centuries ago there were no centrifuge so hazy beer was the norm. A beer style ( BJCP should remember that ) originated because of the location ( ice caves in Bavaria ) , local ingredients , or specific techniques. Not because some guy wanted to create a hazy concoction in New england.
"They are adding a bunch of flaked wheat and oats." You just described a beer style brewed in Belgium ... 500 years ago . NE brewers didn't invented anything.
View attachment 653046

InBev owns "craft" brewers producing hazy IPAs. As does Heineken. Kirin probably does as well. I won't vouch for how good they are, but they're doing it. Do less yappy and more researchy.

Do you spend much of your time on the "obnoxious football" thread? The school-girl/juvenile responses and no, real dialogue don't shine out here. They don't there either but at least they're contained.
Viva la beer!

Don't try to edit me, you will fail miserably.

I responded appropriately to someone who feels the New England style IPA is just some iteration of an existing style.
It plainly isn't, so don't waste everyone's time with that line.

btw, I don't recall any of your contributions to this thread. At all...

Cheers!

Who am I to tell the brewer what beer to brew and to tell the customer what beer to buy ?
The problem is that a cloudy beer with US hops has nothing to do with an India Pale Ale. The brewer deceives the customer and the BJCP is reinforcing that .

BJCP should call that New England ale, it would be an honest description.

Intead of saying "Make IPA Clear Again " I'd rather say " Don't deceive the customer , it's not an IPA"

The situation is very similar with the saison. Everyone talk about the saison beer but no one ever tasted a real one.

Santé

Jacques

Make IPA Clear Again

When NEIPAs originated, they didn't want to create a hazy beer. They wanted to create a beer loaded with hop flavor....particularly some of the modern (at the time) hops that featured a very fruit forward flavor profile. The haze just came with the process.

When NEIPAs originated, they didn't want to create a hazy beer. They wanted to create a beer loaded with hop flavor....particularly some of the modern (at the time) hops that featured a very fruit forward flavor profile. The haze just came with the process.

And if they had just left "IPA" out of the name.... This thread would never had existed!

And if they had just left "IPA" out of the name.... This thread would never had existed!
But they didn't and unfortunately for yourself being in the minority that's unlikely to change anytime soon if ever. Might just have to suck it up and move onto another style. There's plenty of other clear beers out there. Cheers

I don't have a problem with any well made beer. I enjoy several of the fruity Neipa's I have tried, however, I think they should be in a class of their own. Nepa, maybe. An IPA need not be as clear as a low abv light lager, but I should be able to see my fingers on the far side of the pint glass I'm drinking it from.

But they didn't and unfortunately for yourself being in the minority that's unlikely to change anytime soon if ever. Might just have to suck it up and move onto another style. There's plenty of other clear beers out there. Cheers

I'm not sure we are in the minority. Pretty sure most of the beer purchased in the world is clear.

I'm not sure we are in the minority. Pretty sure most of the beer purchased in the world is clear.
In that case you shouldn't have a problem ordering a ipa and getting a clear one correct? The op who I was replying to has trouble finding clear IPA in his area and therefore made post #1. Cheers

In that case you shouldn't have a problem ordering a ipa and getting a clear one correct? The op who I was replying to has trouble finding clear IPA in his area and therefore made post #1. Cheers

Touche! You got me. I was stretching there. (Too many homebrews I guess!) I'm with the OP, clear labeling is what I'm looking for.

I think you're in the minority with respect to complaining about NEIPAs being labeled as IPAs. I guess you really have two options:

Be angry until the day you leave this earth

or

Get over it.

You're choice

I did the same thing back in the early 2000's when fruity hops were becoming more popular. I wanted a fruity IPA that wasn't bitter, but soft like a hefeweizen. I always felt like too much bitterness took a bit away from the hop fruityness. I wanted a super fruity beer that had a texture and low IBU taste of a hefeweizen. I kept all hops out of the hot side and added dry hops during and after fermentation to achieve it. I used low attenuating English yeasts and 50%wheat + oats sometimes to get it silky. I couldn't get it clear every time, but it wasn't bitter! They were always a little hazy, but so are silky hefeweizens. Then I started to hear about the Alchemist and their "hazy" IPA and understood that they were doing the same as I was. It was just what the beer ended up looking like. Now, intentionally adding things to create a haze with no purpose other than appearance I can't understand. Or wanting it to look as clear as a pilsner(it's NOT a pilsner!) I don't get either. Personally, appearance means zero to me. I care more about what it tastes like!

Clear, hazy. As long as it tastes great I'm in!

I think you're in the minority with respect to complaining about NEIPAs being labeled as IPAs. I guess you really have two options:

Be angry until the day you leave this earth

or

Get over it.

You're choice
You're right it's not worth being angry. I like a classic IPA, but will drink NEIPA. The latter is a favorite at my local watering hole.

It's more of an annoyance of beers being passed for what they are not. Nothing else. So blame the brewer not the beer. It's like guns.... I'm mad at that damn gun, it killed my dog. When it's was in fact my neighbor.

So, blame the brewer for shooting your dog, or your neighbor for giving you cloudy beer. Or your neighbor for shooting your dog for crapping on his lawn. Or blame your brewer for giving you crappy beer. But don't shoot him, crap on his lawn.

Last edited:
Just use best practices during the brewing process and then add gelatin during cold crash and we can all be happy...[emoji85]
Cool story.

Except as has been said in this thread, and has been emperically proven, clarifying strips out hop character.

The guys who cheat to get haze or have technical problems usually make sh** NEIPA anyway. Unconverted starch ain't gonna taste right. The good ones require sound practice. It ain't laziness.

I will take a hazy beer with juicy bouquet any day than the same beer losing its edge when fuged and filtered just to appease a few fundamentalists.

Cool story.

Except as has been said in this thread, and has been emperically proven, clarifying strips out hop character.

The guys who cheat to get haze or have technical problems usually make sh** NEIPA anyway. Unconverted starch ain't gonna taste right. The good ones require sound practice. It ain't laziness.

I will take a hazy beer with juicy bouquet any day than the same beer losing its edge when fuged and filtered just to appease a few fundamentalists.

I’m not sure I believe u.
Please send me a case of beer to evaluate so I can determine what you are stating is correct.
[emoji482]

Wow, I can actually agree with you on something. I like how you stated the part about sound practice. The stouts and sours from weldwerks, one of our best neipa makers, are also awesome. I have found this true of other brands that make good neipa, their other beers are good too. I have seen posts of treehouse stouts and I would be willing to bet they are pretty good.

Cool story.

Ugh, look at this shat from a beer I poured today. I think the other ones were clear? Not sure but this is the kind of lack of attention to quality that we can all agree sucks.
20191124_145239.jpeg

Latest posts

Back