Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not weak at all. Clocked in at 15.3 Plato. Should finish around 2.5-3 Plato and near 7% ABV.

Using 32oz of hops (1lb Azacca and 1lb Amarillo) and 4oz of Idaho-7 hop hash.

4oz Azacca @ 50m
4oz Amarillo @ 15m
4oz 50/50 blend @ 10m
4oz 50/50 blend @ 5m
10oz 50/50 blend @ 170F for 30m
2oz hop hash @ 170F for 30m

And i'm planning to dry hop with another 6oz of 50/50 blend and 2oz of hop hash.

Going to be epic, and only slightly hazy.
Haha, I figured it was pretty strong. What's the ibus on that? My friend likes to make beers like that. We calculated one at 200 plus ibus. To this day the only beer I have ever dumped. So glad to have tried it though. He used for 5g, 2 oz Columbus at 90, 60 and 45 iirc. Plus others at 30 and the like.

Haha, I figured it was pretty strong. What's the ibus on that? My friend likes to make beers like that. We calculated one at 200 plus ibus. To this day the only beer I have ever dumped. So glad to have tried it though. He used for 5g, 2 oz Columbus at 90, 60 and 45 iirc. Plus others at 30 and the like.

I don't calculate IBUs on IPAs anymore. I would guess this calculates over 200 though. Doesn't matter what it calculates too. I have yet to make it too bitter.

I use 4-5oz of bittering hops and then the rest of it is just about adding mass quantities late. Over the years i've experimented with everything from all-bittering, to all-whirlpool and variations in between.

In the last 2 years i've more or less figured out how to make an IPA that i like. It involves spreading 2lbs across 60/15/10/5/Whirlpool/Dry. I usually don't stray from 4oz of bittering hops, 8-12oz of whirlpool hops, and 6-10oz of dry hops. I usually add more hops at 10 and 5 than 15, but that's not a hard rule.

I hope I get 10 gallons. Was 15G preboil and I measured 4 gallons of hop sludge going down the drain.

Never got why some people are just so "clear" crazy. I mean, what difference does it really make so long as it doesn't look like a gross soup? I want the beer to be tasty, that is the absolute most important thing. Anyone can clear beer with fining agents like gelatin, cold crashing, filtering through micron pads, etc. It's just another step, it's not some amazing achievement. Personally, I love the appearance of juicy hazy IPA's. I will submit though that yes I will continue clearing my Pilsner's cause it's the defacto standard and I do believe that clarifying also aids the dry bitter crisp taste I go for in a pilsner. But even my Amber I'm not going to bother clearing after doing it one time.

Rev.

For all you hazy fanatics who think we need to change and "evolve", remember it only got worse when they started mucking with the best designed automobile ever! Dont mess with greatness!

f0978d73a6fba9ad7a93a6da05656698.jpeg

While we are at it tomatoes are a fruit dammit

So if tomatoes are a fruit masquerading as a vegetable could you say that American IPAs are fizzy fruit juice masquerading as beer?

IPAs brewed in America...beers for people who would still be hanging out in juice bars if it hadn't become un-hip;)

On topic: I visited Mitch Steel's New Realm Brewery in Atlanta this week and had a couple of nice, clear IPAs. There was one NEIPA on the menu, but the mainstays are still West-Coast style clear!

I have nothing against NEIPAS or those that want to drink them, as I've enjoyed quite a few myself UNTIL......
I realized that hazy IPAs trigger my migraines. Not headaches, or hangovers, but actual migraines. I can only assume it was something to do with the biotransformation of the hops that is often spoken about. But, I'm not a chemist and won't pretend to understand what chemical changes actually occur, but it's only with the true' NEIPA style of hazy IPAs. I can drink IPAs made hazy with just oats, or heavily dry-hopped IPA/IIPA without issue.

In any case, I'm glad the West Coast style of bitter and clear isn't going away.

Another delicious clear IPA:

upload_2019-3-29_19-18-9.png

And another:

upload_2019-3-29_19-20-32.png

And yet another (more recent) on:

upload_2019-3-29_19-22-42.png

Cant leave these guys out... Ginormous dry hop and..... You guessed it, CLEAR!

upload_2019-3-29_19-25-5.png

I could keep going... Okay, one more...

Here is an IPA with Rye. Yep, clear too!

upload_2019-3-29_19-27-13.png

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

The IPA fad will pass. Then a ton of breweries will go belly up. Simply because they will need to make quality beers that don't have 400 IBU's of pine sap flavored turpentine to hide all the flaws.

Drinking a WC IPA from Cellarmaker that happens to be hazy next to a “hazy” “NEIPA” from Revision that happens to have dropped almost clear.

The hazy one tastes and smells better....

Isn't it a little ironic with all this, hipster, neck beard, girly man talk that you keep using hashtags. I mean aren't the only people who use hashtags hipster - neck beard types. The dudes on my softball team....they don't use hashtags. MAKE BEER REAL AGAIN

#realbeer

Last edited:
Isn't it a little ironic with all this, hipster, neck beard, girly man talk that you keep using hashtags. I mean aren't the only people who use hashtags hipster - neck beard types. The dudes on my softball team....they don't use hashtags. MAKE BEER REAL AGAIN

#realbeer

Also the whole "I liked IPAs before they were cool" tact is suspicious don't you think? Deeply closeted hipster perhaps?

Hash tag IPA Clear Again???

View attachment 619756

Maybe after your "Make IPAs Clear Again" campaign is successful there should be a campaign to "Make IPAs British Again",or "Make IPAs IPAs Again".
Or maybe take it a step further and institute an IPA Reinheitsgebot law which forbids calling any beer an IPA that uses any ingredients not found in traditional British IPAs.

#makeipasipasagain

It tastes kinda like ****** I'm told
I really don't want to know how you know what that tastes like.

My 2 cents; as an "older" member here (50+) I've seen fads come, and fads go. Glitter beer, anyone? This too, shall pass. I predict, after this craze runs its course, a renaissance back to true & pure IPA's; good bitterness, a strong malt backbone, and enough dry hops to choke a horse. I've had a few of the hazy variety, and my reaction was "meh". If I want orange juice I can buy that at the store cheaper than the zillions of hazy IPA's out there now up here in Hipsterland.

When I first started brewing 3+ years ago, the emphasis was on clear beer; with plenty of suggestions on how to get it. With my own homebrew I don't really care if I get super clear beer, but I'm happy when I do. Unfortunately it usually means the keg is about to kick.

Maybe after your "Make IPAs Clear Again" campaign is successful there should be a campaign to "Make IPAs British Again",or "Make IPAs IPAs Again".
Or maybe take it a step further and institute an IPA Reinheitsgebot law which forbids calling any beer an IPA that uses any ingredients not found in traditional British IPAs.

#makeipasipasagain
Make IPAs only brewed with coke fired roasted malts again.

When I first started brewing 3+ years ago, the emphasis was on clear beer; with plenty of suggestions on how to get it. With my own homebrew I don't really care if I get super clear beer, but I'm happy when I do. Unfortunately it usually means the keg is about to kick.

Slight thread deviation but: Gelatin works wonders... But you might check this out too if you havent seen it already.

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN! (With good bitterness too... :) )

-This is Nagorg and I approve of this message!

My 2 cents; as an "older" member here (50+) I've seen fads come, and fads go. Glitter beer, anyone? This too, shall pass. I predict, after this craze runs its course, a renaissance back to true & pure IPA's; good bitterness, a strong malt backbone, and enough dry hops to choke a horse. I've had a few of the hazy variety, and my reaction was "meh". If I want orange juice I can buy that at the store cheaper than the zillions of hazy IPA's out there now up here in Hipsterland.

I’m also an “older” member, by that rubric. These hazy juice bombs are what I always wanted beer to taste like. Don’t care how they look, but man do I like how they smell and taste. And I don’t really care where the market goes — 99% of my beer consumption is homebrew.

I really don't want to know how you know what that tastes like.
I literally wrote "I'm told" at the end...you even quoted it...but nice try
My 2 cents; as an "older" member here (50+) I've seen fads come, and fads go. Glitter beer, anyone? This too, shall pass. I predict
Why do you guys all assume you're so much oler and wiser than anyone who drinks NEIPAs? I'm a lot closer to your age than I am the kids in 'Hipsterland' that you seem to be imagining...Also, like it or not those hipster you love to lambast are the whole reason we have a vibrant craft brewing scene in the first place. Where do you think the whole West coast IPA craze came from in the first place? You're right that the NEIPA phase is just that, a phase, but so was the west coast thing, it will fade away and something new will take it's place but the style will reamin on some level. Whether it's west coast hipsters or east coast hipsters you can't support an industry unless you have enough people consuming the product to make it feasible...and the Nascar watching Natty-Light-swilling crowd just ain't going to fill the hole there. So annoying and pretentious though they may be, at least they're passionate about the beer, sometimes you need to take the bad with the good.

Back