Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not against the juicy hop flavors of NEIPA. In fact a simple west coast tongue thrashing 100+ IBU recipe is a nice base to lay on all those hops. Just exclude all the adjuncts. 97% 2-row and 3% crystal makes a damn fine beer.

The secret though is meticulous exclusion of oxygen at every step except yeast pitching.

you talkin hot-side or cold side only?

the LODO stuff on the hotside seems like a PITA. I think hotside LODO only really matters for malt forward styles. For a NEIPA I think limiting O2 post fermentation (including during dosing of dry hops) is all that really matters for that style.

you talkin hot-side or cold side only?

I do both. Once I got the hot side right (took a couple tries) I couldn't go back because the product it makes i prefered so much more than what i had been doing for years before.

the LODO stuff on the hotside seems like a PITA.

Yes and no. It's a change. In the end it's not that much more work, it's just a little different and requires attention to certain details. I can see how it's not for everyone though, but it's second nature now.

I think hotside LODO only really matters for malt forward styles.

Not so in my experience. It's a hard thing to describe but the flavor of low oxygen wort has a particular sweet and clean quality that i never could get with standard methods. Prior to low oxygen on the hot side i couldn't stand the taste of wort. There is an astringent bitterness to it. First time I knew i had the hot side figured out I knew because i drank the whole hydrometer tube and it was amazing. I've done low oxygen on everything from IPAs, to stouts, to a variety of lager styles and it's been enlightening to say the least.

For a NEIPA I think limiting O2 post fermentation (including during dosing of dry hops) is all that really matters for that style.

Limiting oxygen post fermentation is important for all styles if you want to maintain the flavor. No beer is immune from the effects. Whether you care or not seems to be the topic of great debate.

OMG... ROFLMAO... Still laughing! Yep, thats about right...

LOL.. "Those flavors dont belong in beer, they go in Fruit Salad".. HAHA.. "Looks like Creek Water".. Oh my I'm crying! "Looks like its been poured through old underwear.."... Haha, hehe, oh geez... ROFLMAO!!

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Yep, no beer should have hop flavor...leave that for fruit salad. Brilliant. Personally, I like the flavor of hops. If you don't, there's plenty of malt bombs out there for ya.

Y'all act like there's actual fruit or fruit juice in these beers. News flash, they're just beer, flavored with real hops to provide real hop flavor. I'm sorry you don't like hop flavor. Perhaps you should head over to the wine cooler section....

OP is living rent free in folk's heads lmao
Screenshot_2019-04-25-21-37-17.jpg

I do both. Once I got the hot side right (took a couple tries) I couldn't go back because the product it makes i prefered so much more than what i had been doing for years before.

Yes and no. It's a change. In the end it's not that much more work, it's just a little different and requires attention to certain details. I can see how it's not for everyone though, but it's second nature now.

Not so in my experience. It's a hard thing to describe but the flavor of low oxygen wort has a particular sweet and clean quality that i never could get with standard methods. Prior to low oxygen on the hot side i couldn't stand the taste of wort. There is an astringent bitterness to it. First time I knew i had the hot side figured out I knew because i drank the whole hydrometer tube and it was amazing. I've done low oxygen on everything from IPAs, to stouts, to a variety of lager styles and it's been enlightening to say the least.

Limiting oxygen post fermentation is important for all styles if you want to maintain the flavor. No beer is immune from the effects. Whether you care or not seems to be the topic of great debate.

Any pictures of your setup?

I brew in a manhattan apartment with limited space. I think creating a LODO setup on the hotside would be challenging with the space I've got.

I bet you can make some great CLEAR IPA on that thing!

I can’t make a truly clear IPA anymore between the massive kettle additions and massive dry hop additions. However it’s not MURKY like that NEIPA trash.

I do mostly German lager styles... pils and marzen are my favorites. Pils and IPA are always on tap. The third rotates between things like the marzen, out stout and doppelbock. Usually a malty style.

I have to admit that I'm a clear British ale snob and rarely like anything else but I had an opportunity to go to lunch today with an old friend, first time I'd had a chance to go out in about 9 months, and he turned me on to a few beers that I never would have given a second look. The first was a Lagunitas IPA that while a bit hazy was something I could see myself buying, often. The second was an IPA from Lone Pine Brewing here in Maine that was also hazy and really good. The third wasn't an IPA but a slightly hazy saison from Allagash called River Trip that was excellent. I might have to rethink my attitude toward non-clear beers which at my age is no easy task.

I might have to rethink my attitude toward non-clear beers which at my age is no easy task.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... In retrospect it would have been better for this thread to be called "Make IPA not look like OJ again" or "Reclassify NEIPA as Murky OJ'ish Ale".

Plenty of good IPA's have some "haze" to them but those are a far cry from the glasses of fruit juice that sparked my post.

^^What NeoBrew said...

But at least there is more definition and a distinction that allows a Juicy Pale Ale. The latter is more along the lines of most I've had where other flaws (off-flavors, aromas, chalky mouthfeel etc..) didn't make the thing unbearable to drink. At the rate things have been on, the BA might as well create a "Not so good Beer" category...

This happened again to me this evening. Went to a new small brewery in town. Indicated I was not interested in a hazy IPA, received blank stare...

“What do you consider hazy? We’ve got this pale ale which is only a little hazy...” WTF? I’m more convinced than ever the NEIPA have just created an excuse to not care if beer is properly conditioned.

I opted for a flight and both the IPA and pale ale were clearly influenced by the NEIPA thing. A little hoppy, not very bitter, and a fuller mouth feel.

Strangely the pale ale was reminiscent of horse radish. I think it was some strange combination of oniony and aromatic hops...? Both were not either a pale ale or an “American IPA”, yet I, the consumer, could not discern without actually trying them. The bartender was clueless to discern the difference between a west coast and east coast IPA.

I’ll say again, if you like NEIPA, and have access to the magical brews that I’ve never been lucky enough to try, good on you. For the rest of us try not to ruin the entire craft beer industry for us.

What’s next? Cloudy Bud Lite?

Last edited:
I think there are a couple reasons why this style receives a lot of negative press.

First is the name. It's called an IPA but it's 'clearly' not an IPA, and I think some people interpret this as a marketing gimmick.

Second, many NEIPA brewers go out of their way to make them as cloudy as possible and then post pictures showcasing precisely this feature, but they'll swear up and down this was never the intent. Then you unearth old posts from them or like-minded characters asking how much flour to stuff in the brew kettle. So it comes across as being fake or at least contrived.

I think if it had a different name, it wouldn't be mocked the way it is.

This happened again to me this evening. Wen to a new small brewery in town. Indicated I was not interested in a hazy IPA, received blank stare...

What’s next? Cloudy Bud Lite?

1. I now have to ask what the clearest beer is. Often it’s a sour.

2. Look up Tuborg Rå. It’s literally the normal beer with protein resuspended after filtration.

I think there are a couple reasons why this style receives a lot of negative press.

First is the name. It's called an IPA but it's 'clearly' not an IPA, and I think some people interpret this as a marketing gimmick.

Second, many NEIPA brewers go out of their way to make them as cloudy as possible and then post pictures showcasing precisely this feature, but they'll swear up and down this was never the intent. Then you unearth old posts from them or like-minded characters asking how much flour to stuff in the brew kettle. So it comes across as being fake or at least contrived.

I think if it had a different name, it wouldn't be mocked the way it is.

Why is it clearly not an IPA? What are IPAs known for? Intense hops. The only difference between an old school IPA and a NEIPA is when the hops are added.

Oh, I forgot another thing. There's a tendency among some NEIPA enthusiasts (present company excluded) to get totally triggered when someone says they don't like the style. So there's that urge to be mischievous and kick the ant hill.

i brewed a rad clear IPA before work today. killed it on my brew house eff today also 77% i normally run 65% go me. i had to re plan my hop additions during my boil.

15# pilsin malt

4 oz of hops in the beer

2 oz of cryo hops for dry hop

Back