Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, I've been trying but it just aint happening...

Bleck:
upload_2019-4-17_19-31-38.png

Awesome name and cool artwork but the beer sucked... Down the drain it went and I rarely do that!
upload_2019-4-17_19-32-55.png

Another interesting name and artwork too.. But I think they named it "Bubble Farm" cause it tastes like soap. Yep, down the drain it went...
upload_2019-4-17_19-34-30.png

Now were getting somewhere... Delicious and CLEAR! I see a pattern developing...
upload_2019-4-17_19-36-38.png

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Bleck:
View attachment 622606

Awesome name and cool artwork but the beer sucked... Down the drain it went and I rarely do that!
View attachment 622607

Another interesting name and artwork too.. But I think they named it "Bubble Farm" cause it tastes like soap. Yep, down the drain it went...
View attachment 622609

Now were getting somewhere... Delicious and CLEAR! I see a pattern developing...
View attachment 622611

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!
KEEPS IPA TASTING GOOD AND LEAVE CLEAR BEERS FOR THE BMC CROWD

Bleck:
View attachment 622606

View attachment 622607

View attachment 622609

View attachment 622611

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!
Drove by Saltwater Brewery just the other day. Beer is just ok.

The three on the right are IPA's. My favorite was number IV. Interestingly "Juice" is in the name yet its clear as a bell! Well done True Vine!

upload_2019-4-17_21-42-23.png

Sorry, none of those are good examples of the style. Don't try Hazy by SN. Its good beer but not a good example of the style. Also, your last example IS hazy...

Sorry, none of those are good examples of the style. Don't try Hazy by SN. Its good beer but not a good example of the style. Also, your last example IS hazy...

Funny, I just listened to the Craft Beer & Brewing Podcast with Ken Grossman from Sierra Nevada. It's Episode 26 if anyone is interested. Ken said they actually weren't trying to brew a NEIPA with Hazy Little Thing, it's more of a nod to some of the original beers they brewed when they first opened. Back then no one would drink them if they weren't crystal clear so they filtered them, nowadays they don't have to.

thanks! I'll check that out. Makes sense why I felt it wasn't a good example, I should have looked into it more

Funny, I just listened to the Craft Beer & Brewing Podcast with Ken Grossman from Sierra Nevada. It's Episode 26 if anyone is interested. Ken said they actually weren't trying to brew a NEIPA with Hazy Little Thing, it's more of a nod to some of the original beers they brewed when they first opened. Back then no one would drink them if they weren't crystal clear so they filtered them, nowadays they don't have to.

Perfect example of how what was a flaw has been adopted as a style.

Perfect example of how what was a flaw has been adopted as a style.

People have been conditioned to expect clear beer because of the prominence of filtered BMC beer.

Haze in beer is not a flaw, if anything it is very natural depending on the malts and processes used. In fact, Ken Grossman says in the interview that the cause of their haze was because in the early 80's there were no craft maltsters and they were forced to use malt that was created for adjunct lager breweries, and therefore had a higher protein level than was needed for crafting the British style ales they were trying to brew.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of yeast starter IPA's, but I do enjoy an IPA brewed with high protein malts and hopping rates that induce haze in the final product. I go to great lengths in my own brewing to remove all the yeast and hop particulate from the beer before packaging.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that some people believe that a murky IPA is a result of huge amounts of yeast in suspension. Well, people learn at different rates I guess....

The problem is that you often cant tell where the haze is coming from. Is it low floculating yeast? Is it the dregs of a keg? The murkiest of the examples would have to be suspended yeast.

I think its funny that some posters here seem to think there is some learning curve behind a preference for clarity... If anything, advances in brewing have allowed us to produce visually appealing beverages. And I for one think clarity is a desired characteristic.

Haze does not equal Murk... I can deal with some haze as its been said over and over. The Murk is where I draw the line. When my glass looks like its full or Tropicana OJ, it shouldnt be called IPA!

If you think all clear beers taste (or lack taste, actually) like BMC, you may still have a bit to experience in the beer world, my friend.
If you think only clear beers like bmc taste or lack taste you may still have a bit to the experience in the beer world.

If you think only clear beers like bmc taste or lack taste you may still have a bit

Never did imply non clear brews can not taste great, have even made some myself.

And whatever,... hope you never have to drink a clear beer again, if that's what you want..

I drink and brew clear beers all the time . I also drink and brew "hazy" beers all the time. I'll never let the clarity of a beer stop me from enjoying it because I don't get caught up on unimportant things such as that. Cheers

I drink and brew clear beers all the time . I also drink and brew "hazy" beers all the time. I'll never let the clarity of a beer stop me from enjoying it because I don't get caught up on unimportant things such as that. Cheers

The whole premise of this thread on BOTH sides of the equation is that the appearance of a beer IS important.

If it wasn't, why wouldn't you make beer clear like it's supposed to be? :yes:

I think the obvious solution is to make a new category for clear IPAs, so I don’t accidentally get one when I order an IPA.

Maybe something like "old style ipa" would work better. Or even just move the clear ipas into the generic section were the BMC is and leave the new ones in the craft section. Cheers

Maybe something like "old style ipa" would work better. Or even just move the clear ipas into the generic section were the BMC is and leave the new ones in the craft section. Cheers

How about a new “Cat 27: Historic” style called “Nineties IPA”?

Why would you move real IPAs into the lager (BMC) category and proclaim fizzy fruit juice real IPAs? Wouldn't it make more sense to move NEIPAs to a "juice bar beer" category or maybe a "failed experiments that brewers pass off as beer so they don't have to dump them" category:)

How about a new “Cat 27: Historic” style called “Nineties IPA”?

Do they have one for the Eighties? I could brew Ballentine IPA(with the India spelled out on the lable)clone, if my water was skank enough, I liked it at the time, it sure was not BMC

Why would you move real IPAs into the lager (BMC) category and proclaim fizzy fruit juice real IPAs? Wouldn't it make more sense to move NEIPAs to a "juice bar beer" category or maybe a "failed experiments that brewers pass off as beer so they don't have to dump them" category:)
If you have been following this thread from the beginning it was made because op doesn't like the fact he can't order IPAs without getting a hazy beer anymore.People in 2019 ordering a ipa off the craft section are expecting a flavorful hazy beer. Moving clear ipas into another area on the menu with the rest of the clear beers could fix ops issue without confusing things. Additionally because the majority of the clear ipas these days are the ones sold by the big generic guys like sn,bells,etc and are sold at Walmart beside the bmc it makes sense to me. the whole point of craft beer to me is pushing the boundaries not just making the same old stuff over and over like the big guys do for the mass market. if you cant drink something because it has abit of flaked oats in it your missing out imho. to each there own of course. cheers

Last edited:
What's all the fuss about hoppy beers, whether clear or hazy, anyway? There are plenty of beer styles that don't rely on hops for flavor. Of course, you have to be able to brew well enough not to need hops to cover up the flaws in your process...

What's all the fuss about hoppy beers, whether clear or hazy, anyway? There are plenty of beer styles that don't rely on hops for flavor. Of course, you have to be able to brew well enough not to need hops to cover up the flaws in your process...
Exactly who cares. As long as it tastes good whats the big deal. Live a little lol. Cheers

A "beer expert's" review of hazy IPAs

OMG... ROFLMAO... Still laughing! Yep, thats about right...

LOL.. "Those flavors dont belong in beer, they go in Fruit Salad".. HAHA.. "Looks like Creek Water".. Oh my I'm crying! "Looks like its been poured through old underwear.."... Haha, hehe, oh geez... ROFLMAO!!

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Back